PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts after joining a band

Lev
January 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Hey Fretters, I've had very little time to post here lately, juggling fatherhood, work, beating the credit crunch and now playing in a band has taken up much of my time.

The band thing is a pretty new venture and in it's infancy but already I've learned alot and have had to re-approach many aspects of my guitar playing. I answered an online advert just before Christmas seeking a guitarist for a covers band in my area. I was delighted when I called to find that the band members were of a similar age to me (I always dread calling up and getting a pre-pubescent voice on the other end of the phone). So it turns out this is a three piece with the drummer taking lead vocals - which is pretty cool I think. Both he and the bass player have a load of gigging experience so I'm very much the new guy.

The first main challenge for me was to learn about 25 songs note for note in the space of about 2 weeks. Many of these songs I wouldn't have dreamed of learning if I was sitting at home practicing. The band pretty much focuses on alternative rock from the 70's, 80's and 90's - U2, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Killers, Coldplay etc etc. I've always been more of a blues based rock guy so learning songs outside of my comfort zone has been both challenging and enlightening. I have alot more respect for some of these bands than I had before, for example the intro to The Killers song Mr. Brightside is one of the most technically difficult riffs I've ever come across (Give me Eruption any day).

So after learning off most of the tracks we met up to rehearse last week and challenge number 2 presented itself - to accommodate the singers range we need to change the key of some of the songs - Doh!! I managed to do this on the fly until I needed to play open string parts. So next time I'm bringing a backup guitar tune to D. We're also toying with the idea of a couple of acoustic numbers which means for a gig I'll be bringing up to 4 guitars (standard tuned guitar, standard tuned backup, D tuned and acoustic). I'm now starting to see the value of a VG strat/Variax.

The final challenge is how do I get my sound right at high volume without wasting valuable rehearsing time. Obviously playing at a volume that'll cut through against drums a bass is very different to playing at bedroom volumes. Therefore I really need to tweak my Amp EQ and my pedals, but I don't want to waste valuable rehearsal time tweaking (and annoying my band mates) when we should be playing songs. I'm beginning to see the value in simpler setups now, the less to tweak the better.

So all in all a couple of week in and I've learned alot:
1) Playing music that's outside your comfort zone can really open your eyes musically
2) VG strats are actually worth the money!!
3) The less to tweak the better when setting up for a rehearsal/gig

I'm sure there'll be lots more challenges as we get closer to doing our first gig (penciled in for Fenuary)... It'll be my fist time gigging in over 10 years so I'm sure the nerves will hit a little.... I'll keep you posted!!

AdiĆ³s!

Jimi75
January 13th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Thank you for this great post! It was an interesting read that discloses some deeper truth. Playing in a cover band is not what I personally want to do for the rest of my life, BUT you can learn so much by learning songs of different styles. You are pretty lucky Lev! Being a bedroom player has nothing to do with the real life Rock And Roll! I saw many kids that could play tornadolike speed arpeggios and they could solo to BTs, but man put them into a live situation, sound problems, standing while playing (big topic, believe me), playing with a band - you could see them realizing that all their bedroom artistry is not worht a penny when you fail a simple 12 measure blues with a quick change.
You are absolutely right regarding the VG/Variax. I believe that these instruments have a target group that mainly consists of cover band guitarists. Good luck for your future in this band, you will surely improve your playing!

J75

Lev
January 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Thanks Jimi, I'm hoping to overcome most of the pitfalls you mentioned long before we start gigging. I practice standing up now 100% of the time and I've simplified my setup as much as possible (2 dirt boxes in front of the amp & delay and chorus in the loop), this gives me 90% of the sounds that I need. But you are correct I've learned more in the last 2 weeks than the previous 2 years of being a bedroom player.

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Great post Lev!

I always play standing up. I guess that I'm ready to be in a band & blow those hot-shot sitters-down out of the water. ;)

I look forward to more posts on your experiences in the band lev.

Brian Krashpad
January 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Break a leg Lev!

I've been doing originals only (other than occasional covers that are intentionally changed all round) for 2 decades now. Dunno if I could go back to covers, but I bet the money would be a lot better!

Have fun.

R_of_G
January 13th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Firstly let me say congrats on joining the band. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for you.

Secondly, what Radiohead stuff are they wanting to play? I am a big fan and am always working on learning another one of their songs at any given time. There are definitely some challenging things to learn with many of them, much of them requiring thinking about things in different ways than you might normally while playing. I love the challenge.

Hope it all works out great for you. Looking forward to hearing stories.:dude:

sunvalleylaw
January 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Hey Lev! Thanks for the great report! I know all about juggling the responsibilities you list, and I am glad you are finding this outlet for yourself too, and that it is rewarding. Keep up the reports! I really want an electric live playing situation myself, even if it is only a regular jam. The jams around here tend to be a bunch of guys with acoustics. Still cool, but I want the electrify. I am happy for you. Congrats!

ZMAN
January 13th, 2009, 07:51 AM
The point about sitting vs standing while playing is well taken. I have recently (in the last year) begun to play standing up. Prior to that I was all sitting down. I find it much better
Also what you are discribing is what I refer to as being a musician. A person who makes money playing. As compared to a person who plays guitar.
What you have described is all about the music. Once that is mastered you will have the personalities to deal with.
By the sound of things you are doing as much as you can to come up to speed musically. But I bet it was a real eye opener.

Rocket
January 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Get out... get out while you still can!

aeolian
January 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
This is a great report since I'm in a similar situation.

I started with a hobby band a few months ago and pretty much went through the scenario you described. So far we've gone through about 2 dozen songs and I have never played them (except one) before we started. It is challenging but a lot of fun. For now we are just playing for fun, but we have talked about playing out. Our biggest problem so far has been that we can't seem to find a drummer who either wants to play what we play (actually very diverse from songs from the 60's to songs from a year or 2 ago), or can't devote the time, or just flaky when it comes to showing up every week.

In spite of all the problems getting a regular lineup together it is still fun.

Plank_Spanker
January 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Good to hear, Lev!

When we formed my current band a little over a year ago, I was in your shoes with being way out of my comfort zone. I'm a basically a blues rock player and the band is doing the same material you guys are doing. I was also a second banana guitar player in my previous band and now I'm the lead player and chief cat herder.

Needless to say, it was like drinking from a fire hose for a while. I look back and realize just how much I've grown as a player since we first started - leaps and bounds.

I hope that your experience will be the same. :D

Robert
January 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Great post Lev! It's a lot of work initially, but after a while it'll be like a walk in the park for you, except an exciting walk!

Rock on bro,
Robert

markb
January 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
...I've simplified my setup as much as possible (2 dirt boxes in front of the amp & delay and chorus in the loop), this gives me 90% of the sounds that I need. ...

Great original post, Lev. I think your setup above would deal with a great deal of material. I've seen cover band players get by on a lot less. Bear in mind that the audience is less attuned to the "right" tone for a song than you and your bandmates. Most of them can't tell a Tube Screamer from a RAT as long as they're hearing a distorted sound and you're playing the right notes (or thereabouts, that's another story :) ). And, yeah, playing standing up is a real change when you first do it.

All the best.

Lev
January 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks to all for your encouragement, I'll post some more on this topic as the band develops, I haven't even touched on topics such as backing vocals, PA, cables yet!!

Those Line6 Variax 600's are going for some pretty sweet prices over in the UK right now - if the band takes off I might have to give one of these some serious consideration.

t_ross33
January 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Great original post, Lev. I think your setup above would deal with a great deal of material. I've seen cover band players get by on a lot less. Bear in mind that the audience is less attuned to the "right" tone for a song than you and your bandmates. Most of them can't tell a Tube Screamer from a RAT as long as they're hearing a distorted sound and you're playing the right notes (or thereabouts, that's another story :) ). And, yeah, playing standing up is a real change when you first do it.

All the best.

Welcome to the club, Lev! I'm with Mark... probably the most important thing I have learned is to chill and have fun with it. Most audiences won't recognize note-for-note anyway, and frankly I enjoy seeing someone who can wing it and still maintain the "flavor" of the song. Also, the room you are playing in (club, bar etc.) will likely have shtty acoustics and/or you will be mic'd through the PA so much of your delicious tone will be sucked into a black hole of noise anyway.

On that subject, I've foud it much easier to control the guitars at moderate volumes and mic'ing my amp, or in my case DI from my MFX to the board to get the horsepower to the Front of House.

So relax, enjoy the ride. Learn to engage the audience rather than gazing at your fretboard and concentrating on your amazing technique. Have a look at some of Crashpad's pics and you'll see what I mean ;) Beer drinkers and Hell raisers want to party and have fun!

Screaming Dave
January 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I just joined a band, too. A bit nerve-wracking, really. I'd been in the same band with a bunch of buddies for about 15 years, then I moved away and my swansong with that band was at my own wedding. then one of the other dad's at my kids' school advertised for other musicians to form a band, and now we have a four-piece (2 guitars, bass and drums) with me on guitar and lead vocal (Eek!). Should be fun, but really hard forming a new band after so long with one band. We're all being really polite right now about choice of songs, etc. but I can see some rows brewing!