PDA

View Full Version : Fingers playin electric guitarist

Blaze
January 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
We mainly see electric guitarist playin with both pick & fingers ,name the one that you know playin with fingers only ..

I d say :Jeff Beck , Mark Knopfler

Spudman
January 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Merle Travis - finger picking pioneer.

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Me ;)

I currently play only with my fingers whether I'm plugged in or not. I'm usually plugged in.

piebaldpython
January 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
The Master of the Telecaster----Albert Collins
The Big Lefty-------------------Albert King

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Ry Cooder, from what I know is finger picker. At least 'Eugene's Trick Bag' the famous piece written by Paganini and arranged by Vai was played with his fingers. Fair shout. . .

Apart from that, that's a hard question. Most electric guitarists use their fingers to compliment their flat-picking (Chris Broderick, Paul Gilbert, etc.) but hardly any nowadays just use their fingers. . . More tends to be 'expected' of a guitarist these days. . .

Does 8 finger tapping count? Because then Andy McKee, Michael Hedges, Antoine Dufuor (spelling?) would be good choices - though they use steel string electro acoustics. . . :D

markb
January 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Watch Cooder play in unison with Flaco Jimenez' accordion on this. All fingers, all wonderful :AOK: .

7U733KO0TPc

Jipes
January 14th, 2009, 04:05 AM
They are many players but since we talked about my Idol Mr Cooder I would also mention Sonny Landreth who has a unique way of using his fingers to block the resonance of the strings while playing slide
ISl6lpJNIas

Kazz
January 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes

(My favorite newer Allman Brothers song)

UauECrCIYl8

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Sonny Landreth - I've never heard of him before, but sounds good. I'll have to check more of that out.

But Ry, man. . .Ry Cooder is so cool. . . That song reminds me of his album Chavez Ravine. . . anyone heard that one?

Blaze
January 14th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Beautiful and hypnotizing Ry Cooder s music in the cult film Paris_Texas ..

k9JPb119ZvY

Lev
January 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Ry Cooder, from what I know is finger picker. At least 'Eugene's Trick Bag' the famous piece written by Paganini and arranged by Vai was played with his fingers. Fair shout. . .

I didn't realise Ry played any of the 'Eugene's Trick Bag' in Crossroads, I thought Vai did all those parts and Ry played all the slide stuff.

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I didn't realise Ry played any of the 'Eugene's Trick Bag' in Crossroads, I thought Vai did all those parts and Ry played all the slide stuff.

:D

Yeah, Ry played the slide stuff, but when Ralph - 'Eugene' - puts the slide away, he pulls 'Trick Bag' out of his sleeve, which is a variation on Paganini's 5th Caprice arranged by Vai.

Ry is just unstoppable!

Jimi75
January 15th, 2009, 04:40 AM
:D

Yeah, Ry played the slide stuff, but when Ralph - 'Eugene' - puts the slide away, he pulls 'Trick Bag' out of his sleeve, which is a variation on Paganini's 5th Caprice arranged by Vai.

Ry is just unstoppable!

Most of the credit has to go to Arlen Roth! Vai didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag. Here's a part of an article, for the full read (very interesting) follow the link below.

Quote Arlen Roth: "Still, I got lots of mileage out of the film, lots of exposure, and Vai always mentioned in his interviews that I was the one who really created the guitar parts for the majority of the film. Bill Kanegiser did the classical playing throughout, and by the ending "duel" we were ALL involved in that music!"
http://www.arlenroth.com/crossroads.html

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Most of the credit has to go to Arlen Roth! Vai didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag. Here's a part of an article, for the full read (very interesting) follow the link below.

Quote Arlen Roth: "Still, I got lots of mileage out of the film, lots of exposure, and Vai always mentioned in his interviews that I was the one who really created the guitar parts for the majority of the film. Bill Kanegiser did the classical playing throughout, and by the ending "duel" we were ALL involved in that music!"
http://www.arlenroth.com/crossroads.html

:D I know Vai didn't play it - but I read in an interview somewhere that Ry played 'Eugene's Trick Bag'. . . Vai just arranged it for the electric guitar from the violin. Interesting article, though.