PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Advice Needed Thread.

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hello all guitar gods :master: :

I am finally taking lessons and learning guitar "for real". Took me 23 years of thinking I could teach myself to finally realize that instruction is not "uncool".

Anywho-My wife got me a nice acoustic for X-mas which is what I thought would fullfill all my needs in the way of a guitar. I was wrong! I am already itching for an electric (I'm still a headbanger at heart! :dude: ).

Anybody care to recommend a setup for me :confused: ? Here are my thoughts/criteria:

Have a LONG way to go before I ever think about "gigging".
Want to play surf.
Want to play punk.
Want to play metal.
Want to play rockabilly.
Don't want an "el-cheap-o" setup. Willing to spend maybe $1000 total (?????? this is flexible).

Thanks in advance!!!!!:rockon:

marnold
January 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome to The Fret. As the resident aging headbanger, allow me to suggest a Jackson DK2 (if you prefer an HSS setup with a rosewood fingerboard) or DK2M (HH with maple). Those will run you ~$600 new. Used can be a lot cheaper or if you catch GC when they're blowing them out.

For an amp, there's a wide variety of options. You can get a Blackheart Little Giant combo or mini-half-stack for ~$350. I'll let others chime in here too.

Rocket
January 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
You have some decisions first... like scale length preference, style, amplitude, learning, gigging, or combination of both.
I would suggest getting to a guitar store and playing as many as you can get your hands on... then buy the one that feels right.

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
marnold:

Thanks for the tips! Hadn't even considered Jackson before(don't know much about them). Will put this model on my list to test out in the near future. The amp looks like a good one too.

Rocket:

I did address some of the criteria that you posted about. I do realize that it will take demo-ing axes and amps myself. Just looking for some sage wisdom from people that know what's up.

Algonquin
January 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
The Roland Cube 30x is a tremendous little amp that would go a long
way to address some of the sounds you're after.
zBwq4UXI9VA&feature=channel_page

The Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster is another bargain that many
of the folks here own, and love! It will do most of what you're
after... but not to far into metal territory, but not too many
guitars do everything well.
2-ssPzhYwX4
Cheers :beer:

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Couple of comments:

For the broad range of styles you mention, an "HSS" guitar would be a good option so that you can get the higher output bridge humbucker sounds as well as janglier single-coil tones from the middle and neck pickups.

To get the same kind of flexibility from an amp, you might want to look into modeling amps like the Vox AD series, Peavey Vypr, Line 6 Spider III, Roland Cube, or Fender Super Champ XD. Alternatively, you could go with a good quality basic tube amp, like the Fender Blues Jr., Blackheart Handsome Devil, Peavey Windsor Studio, etc. and then supplement it with effects pedals for higher gain sounds.

If you're not planning to gig, there's no real reason to go over the 15 - 20W power range. Heck, a 5W amp like the Epiphone Valve Junior can deafen you in a small room!

aeolian
January 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
If you want to play surf and rockibilly and you are limited to one guitar you will likely want one with a whammy bar. There are many choices that has a tremelo and SSH pickup configuration.

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The Roland Cube 30x is a tremendous little amp that would go a long
way to address some of the sounds you're after.
zBwq4UXI9VA&feature=channel_page

The Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster is another bargain that many
of the folks here own, and love! It will do most of what you're
after... but not to far into metal territory, but not too many
guitars do everything well.
2-ssPzhYwX4
Cheers :beer:

Wow! That setup would be quite affordable (ie easier to sell to the wife!:D )

Thanks for the input!

No worries about Squier not being as "well-made" as the more expensive Fenders?

Algonquin
January 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Just looking for some sage wisdom from people that know what's up.
Ooops :o ... I guess I should have read your post fully before replying.

As for Squier being as well made as the Fender conterparts... probably not, but they can be very very close. For about $300 you get a great little guitar that won't breat the bank.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
For about $300 you get a great little guitar that won't break the bank.
Actually, they're the same size as other Fender guitars. :poke: ;) :rotflmao:

Algonquin
January 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
True man true :AOK:

Not to be confused with this little guitar
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/buckkillr8/jammer1.jpg

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I think I'm going to like this message board! :bravo:

bigoldron
January 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
True man true :AOK:

Not to be confused with this little guitar

There's a future Nancy Wilson or Susan Tedeschi in the making! :D

Keep up the good work, Algonquin! :dude: :rockon:

Rocket
January 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
What's the story with that A string?
I've never seen a bend without a finger attached to it.

warren0728
January 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i was thinking the same thing....maybe she is experimenting with an alternate tuning.... :rotflmao:

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you want to play surf and rockibilly and you are limited to one guitar you will likely want one with a whammy bar. There are many choices that has a tremelo and SSH pickup configuration.

Does that pretty much leave the Telecaster out then?

No way to play those styles just using bends on the fretboard rather than a bar?

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Couple of comments:

For the broad range of styles you mention, an "HSS" guitar would be a good option so that you can get the higher output bridge humbucker sounds as well as janglier single-coil tones from the middle and neck pickups.

To get the same kind of flexibility from an amp, you might want to look into modeling amps like the Vox AD series, Peavey Vypr, Line 6 Spider III, Roland Cube, or Fender Super Champ XD. Alternatively, you could go with a good quality basic tube amp, like the Fender Blues Jr., Blackheart Handsome Devil, Peavey Windsor Studio, etc. and then supplement it with effects pedals for higher gain sounds.

If you're not planning to gig, there's no real reason to go over the 15 - 20W power range. Heck, a 5W amp like the Epiphone Valve Junior can deafen you in a small room!

Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying I could go with either the guitar for the versatility or the amp? Don't know if I made any sense there........I guess what I'm asking is-can I rely on a versatile guitar to get me where I want to go or can I rely on the amp or does it have to be a combination of both? Also, I do realize that a lot of this will rest on my shoulders as the player.

Tibernius
January 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Might be possible, but a lot harder to do.
If you were just getting one guitar I'd say something like this:

Squier Vintage Modified HSS Strat
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71752

Tremolo, Humbuckers and Single coils in one guitar. :AOK:

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Might be possible, but a lot harder to do.
If you were just getting one guitar I'd say something like this:

Squier Vintage Modified HSS Strat
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71752

Tremolo, Humbuckers and Single coils in one guitar. :AOK:

Pretty sexy!:) :)

just strum
January 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Pretty sexy!:) :)

or

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture252.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
She's got a very thin piece of fishing line in her right hand. It's an early A-bender prototype.

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but are you saying I could go with either the guitar for the versatility or the amp? Don't know if I made any sense there........I guess what I'm asking is-can I rely on a versatile guitar to get me where I want to go or can I rely on the amp or does it have to be a combination of both? Also, I do realize that a lot of this will rest on my shoulders as the player.
I don't know about your background, but for me I've discovered that versatility was not the way to go. I've only been playing for 3 years, but I am much happier with a 5 watt tube amp with no eq & a one pickup hollowbody than I am with my modelling amp & my HSS guitar.

For me versatile means too many way to get an unsatisfying tone (the good ones are in there too) which means too much time fiddling & too little time playing.

duhvoodooman
January 13th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I think you'll want flexibility in both guitar & amp. That was an implied AND, not an OR.....

Spudman
January 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Just get a guitar that you like and it will be YOU. It doesn't matter the make or model. Just get something that makes you go "ah" when you pick it up and then you'll be set. And yes a Telecaster qualifies.:) You can play whatever you want on any guitar. The style comes out of you.

Want to play surf.
Want to play punk.
Want to play metal.
Want to play rockabilly.
Don't want an "el-cheap-o" setup. Willing to spend maybe $1000 total (?????? this is flexible).

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just get a guitar that you like and it will be YOU. It doesn't matter the make or model. Just get something that makes you go "ah" when you pick it up and then you'll be set. And yes a Telecaster qualifies.:) You can play whatever you want on any guitar. The style comes out of you.
:AOK::AOK:What Skyrawker said. :AOK::AOK:

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
or

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Guitars/Picture252.jpg

Wow! What's that? Okay, now that is sexy!

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I don't know about your background, but for me I've discovered that versatility was not the way to go. I've only been playing for 3 years, but I am much happier with a 5 watt tube amp with no eq & a one pickup hollowbody than I am with my modelling amp & my HSS guitar.

For me versatile means too many way to get an unsatisfying tone (the good ones are in there too) which means too much time fiddling & too little time playing.

Good points. Thank you.

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I think you'll want flexibility in both guitar & amp. That was an implied AND, not an OR.....

Thanks for clarifying.

Viking Power
January 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM

I hear ya. Makes sense.

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You can't really go wrong with a nice Strat or Strat-type guitar as far as versatility goes. And, as Spud said, the styles do come out of you, although some guitars/amps are better for certain styles than others.

Just for my 2 cents (or 2p as the case may be) I would suggest a decent little modelling amp. This means that the amp is digital and can have loads of different sounds in it. Even though, as Algonquin said, this can mean loads of fiddling instead of playing. Another problem with modellers is that they are sort of like satellite T.V. - loads of channels, but only a few good ones.

In all honesty, I'm not so sure you will really be able to hear the difference or be able to tell a decent tone from a bad one - only because you are a beginner and have no basis for comparison. I will suggest, though, that you get a modelling amp and by the time your 'ear' does develop, you may have a few extra dosh to shell out on different amp. If anything, you may have a few extra bucks to splash on a few effects pedals.

Summary - a nice HSS Strat like pretty much everyone has recommended and a decent modelling amp (maybe Line6? Nothing over 20w)

But, most importantly, is to have fun!!!!

Katastrophe
January 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM
It all depends on what feels good to you in your hands. No one particular guitar really works "best" for one particular type of music. There are, however, types that, over time, have become associated with specific genres, like the Telecaster for country, big hollowbodies for jazz, et cetera.

That said, the Tele would be hard to beat, as it has been played successfully in each genre you mentioned. Twang for days on rockabilly and surf, and it can get really nasty sounding for punky stuff. Lots of metal playing might require a pickup swap to a single coil sized humbucker, but it wouldn't change the appearance that much. It really is a versatile guitar, and is affordable.

Of course, a P90 equipped Les Paul type guitar would get you there quite nicely as well, and can be found at reasonable prices through Epiphone, Rondo music and others.

One thing that you can count on though is that your tastes will change and you'll want another guitar. It's called GAS, and is unavoidable, especially on this forum. I have a Strat that my wife bought for me because of the GAS here, and I love it. Very versaitile as well!

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
VIking Power, as you can see:

You'll get no shortage of gear suggestions/opinions around here, and
They will vary widely, with some being almost diametrically opposed to others.

Bottom-line: Sift through it, see what makes sense and seems to fit your particular situation best, and then go out and do some hands-on research. Despite the complaints you'll read about Guitar Center here (much of it well-deserved), there are few better places to go if you want to be able to check out a wide variety of guitars, amps and associated gear. Once you've pinned down what you want, you can then decide on how/where you want to acquire it.

I'd also urge you not to rush the process too much. GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) is a powerful motivator, but hasty buying decisions often result in disappointment and disillusionment after the initial excitement wears off. It's not easy sometimes, but take your time!

One other thing--we strongly encourage newcomers to our little forum to stop over at the The Fret Players forum (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13) and introduce themselves.

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 06:34 AM
VIking Power, as you can see:

You'll get no shortage of gear suggestions/opinions around here, and
They will vary widely, with some being almost diametrically opposed to others.

+1 and +1

and again +1 on taking your time and finding 'the right one'!

tot_Ou_tard
January 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Guitars & amps are a curious thing. Who knows why a person is attracted to one type over another. Do research & narrow down to a list that have good reputations & that somehow speak to you.

Once you make these yours by playing them for enough time, you'll start to understand what makes you tick & then the GAS will really kick in.

Good luck!

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Normally, I would recommend a good strat for a first electric. Just so versatile. But I will throw another one out there because of your list of genres and your screen name: Hagstrom Viking semi-hollow. It can rockabilly, it can punk, and metal. The only thing I wonder about is surf. No whammy bar, and surf is just so strat. For an amph, I suggest you try out the Peavey Vypyr and Vox modelers. I did, and ended up choosing my Peavey Classic 30 ($250-350) tube amph that is very versatile with some pedals, but metal may be a stretch. It does give you the tube goodness though. And one other suggestion, if you wanted to go with a tube amph, you could check out the Line 6 M13 stompbox modeler ($400-500). It will have all the sounds you need plus more and is very intuitive and adjustable and is getting good reports. (See Spudman's review) If I was starting from scratch, I would consider doing that. So, if I was starting over, I might go a good strat, similar to mine used, or a Squire Classic Vibe 60's ($300)(my choice, you might prefer the 50's), or the Squire Deluxe strat which you can find new for $250 or under on the internet, a used Peavey Classic 30, and that Line 6 M13. I would also check out some semi-hollows, especially the Viking. If you were careful, you could do that for right about a grand, and have a great setup!

But I agree with the others that you should go out and play some stuff and see what you like. It will come to you.

Anybody care to recommend a setup for me :confused: ? Here are my thoughts/criteria:

Want to play surf.
Want to play punk.
Want to play metal.
Want to play rockabilly.

Thanks in advance!!!!!:rockon:

Viking Power
January 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Normally, I would recommend a good strat for a first electric. Just so versatile. But I will throw another one out there because of your list of genres and your screen name: Hagstrom Viking semi-hollow. It can rockabilly, it can punk, and metal. The only thing I wonder about is surf. No whammy bar, and surf is just so strat.

Oh man that Hagstrom Viking is a beeeeeaauuutiful piece of work (well at least from the pix on-line anyway!)! Don't know the first thing about semi-hollows:confused: and now I'll need to do some research on them.

Surprised to find out that so many pros in the punk genre use these!

Also, I have to admit-I like the name:AOK: !

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Oh man that Hagstrom Viking is a beeeeeaauuutiful piece of work (well at least from the pix on-line anyway!)! Don't know the first thing about semi-hollows:confused: and now I'll need to do some research on them.

Surprised to find out that so many pros in the punk genre use these!

Also, I have to admit-I like the name:AOK: !

Could this be the first signs of GAS? :D

markb
January 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
My advice on this? Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge position, that'll cover all the styles you list. A coil tap on the 'bucker will allow you to get some of those thinner surf sounds too, but I'd go with the middle single coil for most of that stuff. Fender amp! Accept no substitutes, you'll need that gorgeous drippy reverb for both surf and rockabilly. Get your heavier styles from pedals, a Marshall-in-a-box type would be good here, e.g. Boss DS-1, RAT, Marshall GV-2. A VOX modelling amp would cover these styles too. The reverb needs a bit of tweaking to get it to full Fender glory though but it's all there in the controls.

If you do get tempted down the 335-alike route, a Bigsby is not a difficult job to fit especially on a guitar that already has a trapeze tailpiece like the Hagstroms. Here's a video.

23DH-uFn6A8

And remember, whatever choice you make is the right one 'cause you made it :)

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Markb, he could get a Fender Bassman, (Brian Setzer, also leading me to semi-hollows) but that would take him over his budget for sure.

Jamie James here, http://www.amazon.com/Kingbees-Vols-1-2/dp/B000009NXF is a good rockabilly strat player though.

Viking Power
January 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
If you do get tempted down the 335-alike route, a Bigsby is not a difficult job to fit especially on a guitar that already has a trapeze tailpiece like the Hagstroms. Here's a video.

23DH-uFn6A8

And remember, whatever choice you make is the right one 'cause you made it :)

Thanks for the video. That Bigsby setup looks really cool! Very interesting!

markb
January 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Markb, he could get a Fender Bassman, (Brian Setzer, also leading me to semi-hollows) but that would take him over his budget for sure.

Jamie James here, http://www.amazon.com/Kingbees-Vols-1-2/dp/B000009NXF is a good rockabilly strat player though.

There's no reverb in a Bassman. Adding the correct outboard reverb unit would go way over budget. Blackface amps are the sound of surf and do the rockabilly thing nicely too. I'd suggest a used Deluxe Reverb reissue for ~$500. You'll never need to buy another amp.

Viking Power
February 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Still having trouble deciding what to get for an electric guit/amp setup that is going to meet my needs......

Might be able to get a used American Strat for $600-700, but the guy wants all his gear to go as a package deal. Therefore I'd be forced into buying his Crate amp and Blackbox Reloaded as well. Fooled around with his strat unplugged a bit the other day and I was digging it. :)

My guitar teacher is trying to recommend I get an Epi LP Plain Top. He just got one and really likes it. Can I play surf and rockabilly on it though? :thwap:

Pardon the ramble. Just typing out thoughts........

Chime in if you like.....

Thanks.....

Tarin
February 5th, 2009, 02:15 PM
My two cents would be:
Guitar... i don't have much experience for me to suggest one, i love my Parker but a good guess would be a HSS Strat (so many musicians can't be wrong).

For a Versatile amp, i'm sure the Fender Super Champ XD (SCXD) offers the best of both worlds (effects, SS, Tube)

Tarin
February 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I just remembered... before i bought my Parker, i had my eyes on a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet (goldtop, nice).
From what i read, this guitars have nice twang but can also give great RnR tone.
I confirmed this watching a few videos at the U'tube site.

You can find them with or without a Bigsby whammy bar.

markb
February 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
My guitar teacher is trying to recommend I get an Epi LP Plain Top. He just got one and really likes it. Can I play surf and rockabilly on it though? :thwap:

Don't know about surf on a Lester but rockabilly? Well, if it's good enough for Carl.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dc/Jamboree_Carl_Perkins.jpg/320px-Jamboree_Carl_Perkins.jpg

Viking Power
February 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Don't know about surf on a Lester but rockabilly? Well, if it's good enough for Carl.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dc/Jamboree_Carl_Perkins.jpg/320px-Jamboree_Carl_Perkins.jpg

AKKKK!!!!! I'm such an idiot! I thought Elvis did Blue Suede Shoes! :thwap:

*Now reading Carl Perkins wiki*

markb
February 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
AKKKK!!!!! I'm such an idiot! I thought Elvis did Blue Suede Shoes! :thwap:

Elvis covered Blue Suede Shoes (written by Carl Perkins) while Perkins was recovering from a car crash that killed his brothers (in the picture). Thus he never got to capitalise on the song's popularity and felt he never achieved the fame he deserved. Cue battle with drink, etc, etc. See also Charlie Feathers :)