PDA

View Full Version : Avatar 2/12 Custom Cab.

ZMAN
January 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I kind of intoduced this in Krashpads "New cab day" thread, but I thought I would do a little review.
I was lucky enough to have an add, "WTB a 2/12 Cab" on the local Kijiji web site. Similar to a Craigslist type of buy and sell.
A local guy sent me a reply that he had purchased a cab from Avatar and for Christmas he got another Avatar 2/12 and a Crate 2/12. He offered the Avatar for 400 Can. It came with two Eminence Legend 1216 speakers.
I had to wait a week for it to come new in the box from the Canadian Distributor. It has two 16 ohm speakers with a total of 8 ohm impedence.
I am using it with a DSL 401 Marshall combo. This combo has a great feature that you can unplug the internal speaker and it has a 16 ohm, 8 ohm output switch on the back. I can have the internal, or the external 2/12 cab.
This cab also works with my Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe Reissue and my 65 Deluxe reverb.
To say the least it adds balls to any one of them. I really did not like the Blues Junior through it but I didn't really tweak it.
What I like about the Marshall is that the 2nd or "red" channel on the gain did not really sound great through the internal speaker. It just sounds amazing through the 2/12. None of the harshness, just a smooth gain.
I really wanted a set of V30s or Heritage for the cab but I must say I am more than pleased with the Eminence speakers. The added bonus that they are US made just makes my day, and the fact that they are voiced like the V30s is tone bliss.
I can't wait till they are broken in.
Excellent quality in the 13 ply birch cab,l and I got the black/black to match my Marshall.
Over all I would say an exceptional product.
OH and I forgot to mention a partial open back.

Robert
January 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I've got an Avatar 2x12 as well. Mine has Eminence Wizards and I like it a lot. The Avatars seem to be considered "great budget cabs".

Congrats, Zman!

Bloozcat
January 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I have one that's currently loaded with two Celestion G12H30's, and it sounds great. I had it loaded a while ago with two Weber C12N's to use with my 65 Bandmaster. That's some sweet tone there...

oldguy
January 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats on that Avatar cab. I have one loaded w/ one G12H30 and one Vintage 30 Celestion. They really are good for the price, those Avatars.:AOK:

ZMAN
January 17th, 2009, 08:15 AM
When I looked at Cabs I was surprised to see that a lot of them are made from particle board. To find one made from 13 ply Birch, with good quality workmanship made my choice pretty easy. Mine was brand new in the box from the Canadian distributor and it was a bargain. I would have liked to get either V30s or a combination of V30 and Heritage 30 but I am very pleased with the Eminence Legend 1216s.
The DSL 401 combo is a 40 watter and you can get some sweet tones out of it. It does however have a small cabinet with one 12. I like the fuller sound not to mention there is a lot less stress and vibration with the internal speaker out of the mix. Portablility is not an issue because it will stay on the same spot in my Music room, but with the heavy metal carry handles it is quite easy to move around.