Saturday - heat wave
Chance of Snow
18° F | 13° F

Sunday another heat wave
Chance of Snow
23° F | 13° F

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
You know it's bad when it snows during a 'heat wave'. . .

Try going outside and shredding like mad. Maybe the hot licks will send those cold fronts packin' back to Canada?

Algonquin
January 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
:canada: I'll take crunchy snow over slush any day of the week.

marnold
January 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Tell me about it. Alberta can keep their %$^& clippers.
Wed: 4F / -10F
Thu: -1F / -17F
Fri: 2F / -3F
Sat: 16F / 7F
Sun: 22F / 13F

Normal: 24F / 7F

Today was one of those sunshine-y January days where you look out and say, "Boy it looks nice outside!" Then you are outside for five minutes, go to scratch your ear, and it shatters. Sometime over the next two nights I'm going to have to try my "toss a cup of hot water in the air and see if any of it comes down" trick. A friend of mine learned that in Alaska. When I lived in MN the lows were in the mid-minus-30s all week. When you tossed the water in the air, the majority of it instantly froze into a mist and floated away. When it's that cold it's REALLY dangerous because you can freeze to death in a big hurry.

The nice thing about being so cold is that there's less of a chance of snow and when it does snow it's not that heavy.

QRQYfwXKZxA

evenkeel
January 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
St. Petersburg, Florida

Wed. 62F/40F
Thu. 62F/38
Fri. 58F/34F

Downright frigid. Might have to wear long pants. :D

warren0728
January 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
St. Petersburg, Florida

Wed. 62F/40F
Thu. 62F/38
Fri. 58F/34F

Downright frigid. Might have to wear long pants. :D
about the same here....good thing i have that pair of plaid long pajamas!! :pancake:

Blaze
January 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Have a look at this forecast....

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/qc-133_metric_e.html

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day_f.shtml?id=2728

It's a lot better than the -10C we had last week!

Blaze
January 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day_f.shtml?id=2728

It's a lot better than the -10C we had last week!

Get the page down here and look at the forecast line :

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Get the page down here and look at the forecast line :

*shivers*

Spudman
January 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm laughing hard because we usually have that cold stuff but today it felt like 50 F and it was sunny. Actual high was around 45 F. Sweet.

Algonquin
January 13th, 2009, 10:13 PM
The deep freeze definitely has it's drawbacks, but I still try and enjoy it. There is something almost magical about hiking when nobody else dares to venture outside. When all you can here is your footsteps, it really is a wonderful feeling. If you are dressed properly, you've got it made... if you're out there wearing jeans :thwap: you will be cold.

And to Blazes, I've been to Montreal in the winter, and I can say that your winters are much colder than mine living just east of Toronto. At least the mosquito's aren't much of a problem, and the hard snow makes a great igloo! :canada:

thearabianmage
January 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
At least the mosquito's aren't much of a problem, and the hard snow makes a great igloo! :canada:

Here in London, instead of mosquitos, we have crackheads, and instead of hard snow for igloos we have fog so thick you can form it into a snowman. . . or fogman. . . or a fogloo. . . but sounds like another name for a toilet. . .

But that image you painted sounds nice, nonetheless. Quiet, cold walks are hard to beat - especially if you're dressed right for it. The only thing to make it better would be an mp3 player with some good music (in between breaks from the silence. . .)

Blaze
January 13th, 2009, 10:53 PM
the hard snow makes a great igloo! :canada:

Last year igloo diaporama

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/31/1555652/Lendemain%20de%20la%20temp%C3%AAte%20du%208mars%20 20082.ppt

Bloozcat
January 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Darn, looks like I'm going to have to pull out the long pants tonight. Maybe a light jacket even...:D

I'm meeting up with an old friend tonight who lived down here back in the mid-seventies. He's was from St. Paul, Minnesota (where he now lives). He'll probably show up in shorts even though it's supposed to go down into the 40'sF here tonight. For him this is like an 85 degree + rise in temperature. I can't even imagine living in that climate year in and year out. -10F to -15F is about the lowest I've lived in (camping out in -10F once :thwap: ), and that was cold enough thank you very much. It's fun to go somewhere cold, but only to play, not to live and work.

thearabianmage
January 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
It's fun to go somewhere cold, but only to play, not to live and work.

Some people just love it, but hey, think of it this way - the more people who live in cold climates means the less people who live in warm climates which means more room for you and any future guitars :D

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hope our old Fret.net buddy Nelskie is keeping warm. He's in the Fargo, ND area. Currently -20 F with a windchill of -43 F.... :eek:

bigoldron
January 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Darn, looks like I'm going to have to pull out the long pants tonight. Maybe a light jacket even...:D

I'm meeting up with an old friend tonight who lived down here back in the mid-seventies. He's was from St. Paul, Minnesota (where he now lives). He'll probably show up in shorts even though it's supposed to go down into the 40'sF here tonight. For him this is like an 85 degree + rise in temperature. I can't even imagine living in that climate year in and year out. -10F to -15F is about the lowest I've lived in (camping out in -10F once :thwap: ), and that was cold enough thank you very much. It's fun to go somewhere cold, but only to play, not to live and work.

I'll actually have to put a coat on. The low's supposed to be in the upper teens by Saturday morning, which for a South Georgia boy is COLD. We'll do the usual pipe wrapping, water dripping ritual and then it'll start warming back up to the 60/45 split.

I agree with your comment about the "going, but not living there" comment, Blooz. My brother was stationed in Grand Forks, ND when he was in the Air Force about 20 years ago. He couldn't wait for his time to be up to get back home!

t_ross33
January 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hope our old Fret.net buddy Nelskie is keeping warm. He's in the Fargo, ND area. Currently -20 F with a windchill of -43 F.... :eek:

I'm with ya Nelskie: -32C this morning (-25F)... brrrrrrrrrrrr

Bloozcat
January 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I'll actually have to put a coat on. The low's supposed to be in the upper teens by Saturday morning, which for a South Georgia boy is COLD. We'll do the usual pipe wrapping, water dripping ritual and then it'll start warming back up to the 60/45 split.

I agree with your comment about the "going, but not living there" comment, Blooz. My brother was stationed in Grand Forks, ND when he was in the Air Force about 20 years ago. He couldn't wait for his time to be up to get back home!

I love it when I go hunting in Georgia and it get's down into the teens, but that doesn't seem to happen much during the season. 20's or 30's even is nice. We used to have a place up in Hiawassee on the Georgia/NC border where it would get down in the teens and lower pretty regularly. I did enjoy that...chopping wood for the fireplace and furnace, hiking and hunting in all the national forest that surrounded the place. Did the whole drain the pipes & water heater, pour the anti-freeze in the drain traps thing every year. But, living in a place where it get's cold and stays that way for several months? Nope, been there, done that, don't care to do it again.

Now I can understand people who love snow sports wanting to live in or close to the mountains somewhere in cold country.

BTW: What ever did happen to Nelskie?

Brian Krashpad
January 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM
about the same here....good thing i have that pair of plaid long pajamas!! :pancake:

Yeah, our temps up in Title Town, F-L-A, will be about like those, maybe subtract 5 or so degrees. It was 37F when I left for work this morning.

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I coach a kid who has been known to ski in a plaid kilt here.

ok, ok, he wears ski pants under the kilt when he does.

just strum
January 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I just ran over to Lowes at lunch today and stopped to get gas. The wind has picked up and there is a light snow That is probably more dangerous because people think that it's little snow, but the salt isn't working and the roads are extremely slick. Just another day that I am glad I am not working at the old job and doing the 90 mile drive.

duhvoodooman
January 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
BTW: What ever did happen to Nelskie?
Let's just say he moved on & leave it at that....

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
In an unusual move, just about all the schools in northeast Wisconsin called off today because of wind chills. When I checked this morning, the actual temperature in Green Bay is -16F with -41F wind chill. Most people around here are accustomed to cold, but not to wind chills that cold. I had a couple of kids show up for confirmation class yesterday without hats or gloves on. At these temperatures that means frostbite in less than 10 minutes.

bigoldron
January 15th, 2009, 09:38 AM
In an unusual move, just about all the schools in northeast Wisconsin called off today because of wind chills. When I checked this morning, the actual temperature in Green Bay is -16F with -41F wind chill. Most people around here are accustomed to cold, but not to wind chills that cold. I had a couple of kids show up for confirmation class yesterday without hats or gloves on. At these temperatures that means frostbite in less than 10 minutes.

Makes the South all the better.... :D

warren0728
January 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM
i actually had to turn on my heater this morning for about 10 minutes to take the chill out of the air.... :pancake:

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
i actually had to turn on my heater this morning for about 10 minutes to take the chill out of the air.... :pancake:

Heater?? We have big, huge, massive furnaces that belch out volumes of heat. A heater is for the car.

All said with envy.;)

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just to give you an idea of the difference between job locations in the last 24 to 36 hours.

Where the previous employer is located, they received 18" of snow, where my new employer is located, we received about 3" of snow. What a difference 40 miles makes.

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hey Strum........your change in jobs is sounding better all the time. :D

Bloozcat
January 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Just to give you an idea of the difference between job locations in the last 24 to 36 hours.

Where the previous employer is located, they received 18" of snow, where my new employer is located, we received about 3" of snow. What a difference 40 miles makes.

Lake effect difference, strum?

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Lake effect difference, strum?

Major difference.

just strum
January 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It's -6 degrees F here at the moment

It is 19 degrees F in Edmonton, Alberta

It is 43 degrees F in Tampa, Florida

So now I have the option of going north or south to get warmer.

street music
January 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
MY heat pump has been working overtime this week, -5 this morning.
Warren, send some of that heat up hear till spring anyway.

warren0728
January 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Warren, send some of that heat up hear till spring anyway.
only if you'll send me some cooler weather this summer when it's 100 degrees here with 90%+ humidity.... :thwap: :messedup:

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
It's -6 degrees F here at the moment

It is 19 degrees F in Edmonton, Alberta

It is 43 degrees F in Tampa, Florida

So now I have the option of going north or south to get warmer.
Then it's a win-win scenario! You must be thrilled.

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM
The high today is suppose to be 22 degrees and the low is suppose to be 20 degrees.

Right now it is 8 degrees **** go figure.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=44202&wuSelect=WEATHER&MR=1

Blaze
January 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM

That's -9 F

I noticed that for conditions it lists: Ice crystals
I've never seen that before. You are living in an ice block.

Blaze
January 17th, 2009, 12:16 PM
That's -9 F

I noticed that for conditions it lists: Ice crystals
I've never seen that before. You are living in an ice block.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/primer/primer.htm

warren0728
January 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM
60 with clear blue skies....

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=32708

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Shut up Warren. It's 70 degrees in the house, but it doesn't feel like 70 knowing what's outside. I have to go get gas for the car and tractor. When I get home it will be time to plow (we are getting those "ice crystals" now).