PDA

View Full Version : Why do country singers have to sing with the silly falsetto voice?

Robert
January 14th, 2009, 06:40 PM
You know, like a teenager who just reached puberty. It seems to be the standard in country music to resort to some kind of half-yodeling whenever there's a vowel that's being sung for longer than a second.

Why is this? Why did this style of singing happen? Do you know how much it bugs me?
:mad: :D

This cat does it better.
OM_soUJ9In0

just strum
January 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Do you know how much it bugs me?
:mad: :D

Apparently enough to cause you to post it. That's an accent. They actually talk that way down in Waco.

What artist comes to mind when you think of that voice?

Robert
January 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM

All of them?

Robert
January 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Here's a good example. Almost every sentence has the falsetto peak in it.

How did this tradition come about? Even female singers do it.

8G0JHNbILRQ

The singer in Lonestar does it all the time too:

nrgwxLff4Io

just strum
January 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
It's disabled by request - just double click on it and it will take you to the video.

Now as for the voice - yep, just call Shiner and he will talk to you like that and so will CB.

markb
January 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
This phenomenon can be explained in two words - Jimmie Rodgers

qEIBmGZxAhg

Spudman
January 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Roberto, Roberto, Roberto

What in tarnation are you doing listening to Country music? Is this why they ran you out of Sweden?

Oh, the answer is because nobody (other than Brad Paisley) in Country music has any balls.

just strum
January 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oh, the answer is because nobody (other than Brad Paisley) in Country music has any balls.

I feel a storm brewing.

LagrangeCalvert
January 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
brad paisley is my only country like.......and he has amazing chops to boot.

evenkeel
January 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I feel a storm brewing.

He** I'm runnin' for cover. :D :poke:

pes_laul
January 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Apparently enough to cause you to post it. That's an accent. They actually talk that way down in Waco.

dude its like asking why men have nipples. they really dont serve any purpose and there just there.

Katastrophe
January 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM

Uhhh... How 'bout Willie Nelson? Waylon Jennings? Steve Earle? Johnny Cash? Lots o' balls in country, if you look in the right places!

Just sayin'.:AOK:

just strum
January 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Uhhh... How 'bout Willie Nelson? Waylon Jennings? Steve Earle? Johnny Cash? Lots o' balls in country, if you look in the right places!

Just sayin'.:AOK:

Well, the initial front just passed through.

Robert
January 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Roberto, Roberto, Roberto

What in tarnation are you doing listening to Country music? Is this why they ran you out of Sweden?

Well, I live in a cowboy culture to some degree. Alberta is often called "Little Texas" and there's plenty of country music being played here. And a lot of the music is fine. Sure interesting to hear all these hot country pickers that seem to pop up everywhere.

Still, SRV, Albert Collins, T-Bone Walker, Johnny Winter, etc were from Texas and they sure didn't sing like that. It's something with the country music genre that brings the squeaky tones out of people's throats.

street music
January 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Robert, What's up with this ? Man you know that a Tele sounds different for a reason. Why it's considered the King of Country Electric guitars because it matches the singers tone. It all a natural slang of being from the country, it happens naturally.

Robert
January 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I just never understood this type of singing, that's all.

t_ross33
January 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Can't let it pass without a comment

:punch:

Just kidding! Yeah, it can be twangy, but like others have posted, it's the style and tradition of this type of music (nice Jimmie Rogers vid BTW - the Yodelling Brakeman - luv it. I think I have this on 78RPM believe it or not).

My question is why do the new metal or punk or whatever they call themselves these days all sound like Cookie Monster yakking in a toilet bowl? And what's with the short pants? :confused: ;)

PLyTrsk1Ey8&feature=related

Spudman
January 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
They are just whining. They don't have anything happy to sing about so they have to whine. I mean...listen to Country music for a while - you'll start whining too.:D

Blaze
January 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
How about a drunk Tyrol singer ,any parenthood with country yodler ?..

tXz4oWT2PfE

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Y2iv_E-Fn9E&feature=related Johnny

NZlN9ZMgiR8 George

And from Alberta

op-BEg5728A I saw him live last year when he was here.

No falsetto there. But I get what you are saying. Call it the effect of the gentleman above, or the call of the coyote and/or wolf, or something. As far as modern "country" goes, it is pretty formulaic, determined by producers and labels, and very few escape the box.

piebaldpython
January 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Here's a good example. Almost every sentence has the falsetto peak in it.

OK, what the heck.......might as well put some GASOLINE on this fire since we're freezing our butts off up North. :rotflmao:

The falsetto singing; a/k/a Tony Romo's Disease; is when a guy's manhood is ripped asunder by his wife/girlfriend who tells him what he can and can't do and SO.....he sits around moping and whining all damn day and then baying at the moon like a coyote. :D

And the proof positive of this is that the COWBOYS are sittin' on their duffs while the IGGLES are in the NFC Championship Game. :bravo:

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 04:02 AM
My question is why do the new metal or punk or whatever they call themselves these days all sound like Cookie Monster yakking in a toilet bowl?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Because they are angry that their parents told them they had to clean their rooms!

And speaking of which, Robert - I'm curious, which would you prefer:

Your Brooks & Dunn offering:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0JHNbILRQ

or,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbrxWF6OZE

(side notes: yes, that is a real pig's head. And this band is 'true'. . . :whatever: . . . as in to say, they really believe in what they are doing. . . They live in the woods in Norway and live the whole Pagan thing right up)

The latter is the kind of crap my flatmate plays constantly (in between Marilyn Manson/Dead Kennedys/NIN tracks and the odd decent Doors/Bowie/Clash tunes. . .)

:D

Kazz
January 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I would say there are plenty of balls in Country Music....

Braid Paisley as mentioned above....probably one of the best lead guitar players in country.....Dean Hall who handles lead for Gretchen Wilson is a phenomenal player and happens to be from my home town.

Singers the list is too long and very distinguished, but do not forget Johnny Paycheck, Charlie Daniels, Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Trace Adkins, or the late great Conway Twitty.

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Singers the list is too long and very distinguished, but do not forget Johnny Paycheck, Charlie Daniels, Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Trace Adkins, or the late great Conway Twitty.

:rotflmao:

I swear, if I didn't know anything about the thread, I still would have known you just listed a bunch of country singers :D

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM
And let us not forget MR. NICOLE KIDMAN, a/k/a Kenny Chesney.......before he went solo he fronted and played lead git for THE RANCH. Don't remember much about the singing but the git was first rate.

Vince Gill plays the heck out of his Tele......but that voice and those high notes he hits....has "nuts in a vise" written all over it. :D

I'm beginning to wonder if all those garage workshops down South aren't really for the women....torture chambers where the women emasculate their men?????? :rotflmao:

Mucho apologies to my Southern Fretter friends but......it's so freakin' cold up here and will get worse tomorrow. Oh yeah, just got my gas bill and damn nar fell off the chair. They keep raising the rates so that we'll all move to Central America to avoid the cold and paying the heating costs.

Robert
January 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Arabianmage, I'd say Brooks & Dunn and not Mayhem, because I didn't notice much musicality there. I like other heavy music though.

Andy
January 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I never understood the brooks and dunn craze, they sound so artificial to me.
the female country singers are just as guilty, with the over the top warble.

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
And let us not forget MR. NICOLE KIDMAN, a/k/a Kenny Chesney....
Umm, I think that's Keith Urban she's married to, not Chesney. He was married to a starlet, though--Renee Zellweger. For about 45 minutes, as I recall. That'll raise your pitch, I'll bet.....

tunghaichuan
January 15th, 2009, 08:45 AM
They are just whining. They don't have anything happy to sing about so they have to whine. I mean...listen to Country music for a while - you'll start whining too.:D

The same could be said for blues. :whatever:

Just sayin' :D

tung

Andy
January 15th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Reba Mcintire, she can turn any single vowel or word into three syllables.

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM
The same could be said for blues. :whatever:

Just sayin' :D
You hit it on the head there, tung. Country is basically white boy (OK, redneck) blues. Seems to me that complaining about how they sing is like saying, "How come those shredders have to play so many notes? Why does Eddie Van Halen have to use his whammy bar so much?"

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Umm, I think that's Keith Urban she's married to, not Chesney. He was married to a starlet, though--Renee Zellweger. For about 45 minutes, as I recall. That'll raise your pitch, I'll bet.....

DVM; thanks dude, you're right! :D Well, Keith Urban plays a damn fine guitar on THE RANCH. Just love the guitarwork in that CD. I got confused by the Blonde women. :rotflmao:

bigoldron
January 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
As for having balls, ya'll left out Merle Haggard! :master: He's the original "working man" and plays a pretty good Tele to boot! I saw him a year or so ago and he could still put on a good show. Oh, and don't forget David Allen Coe.

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
You hit it on the head there, tung. Country is basically white boy (OK, redneck) blues. Seems to me that complaining about how they sing is like saying, "How come those shredders have to play so many notes? Why does Eddie Van Halen have to use his whammy bar so much?"

Well, IMHO, whether it's singing or playing a git.....it all boils down to "overkill" or the judicious use of an "effect" say like a bend or vibrato (trill if it's a voice). And sometimes, be it country/blues/pop, these singers get to warblin' over a note or three and it's "run for the hills" time. :D

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Well, IMHO, whether it's singing or playing a git.....it all boils down to "overkill" or the judicious use of an "effect" say like a bend or vibrato (trill if it's a voice). And sometimes, be it country/blues/pop, these singers get to warblin' over a note or three and it's "run for the hills" time. :D
World's "Most Tortured by Singers" Tune: the Star-Spangled Banner. Nothing else even comes close in this competition. Good thing it's resilient, 'cuz I've heard it murdered more times than I can count....

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
World's "Most Tortured by Singers" Tune: the Star-Spangled Banner. Nothing else even comes close in this competition. Good thing it's resilient, 'cuz I've heard it murdered more times than I can count....
I dunno. "Somewhere over the Rainbow" has to be REALLY close.

R_of_G
January 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM

It's why of all the versions, I prefer Frisell's. It's a beautiful song when you take the singing away and play the melody on a guitar. Everybody knows the words anyway, we don't need to actually hear them. I play it for my daughter. She seems to like it, but she's only 7 mos. old so she hasn't heard it butchered by scores of wannabees yet.

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
"Somewhere over the Rainbow" has to be REALLY close.
I really don't think so. They don't sing it before sporting events....

bigoldron
January 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM

"Amazing Grace" ain't too far behind! :thwap: I've heard it butchered a lot too! :deadhorse:

oldguy
January 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
One more reason........and probably the one most emulated.
Hank Jr. grew a pair and became his own man years ago, and the crying songs morphed into "All my rowdy friends" and such.

-Xu71i89xvs

KrisH
January 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I always considered it a "Mr. Haney, the hick" affectation. You know, how he always used to say, "Now Mr. Douglas . . ."? Used by country singers to show just how down-home they really are.

markb
January 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
One more reason........and probably the one most emulated.
Hank Jr. grew a pair and became his own man years ago, and the crying songs morphed into "All my rowdy friends" and such.

Give me Hank Sr. any day. Just listen to his rhythm, who needs a drummer with a right hand like that? BTW, Lovesick Blues was originally recorded by Emmett Miller and his Georgia Crackers in 1928. If you think Hank's voice is wobbly, you should hear Emmett Miller :)

Robert
January 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Comparing Hank Williams Jr. or Sr. to the current "country stars", I don't see much similarity, musically speaking. The only similarity I hear is the some of voice yodeling, and perhaps some layered fiddles or steel guitar on some slick Nashville production. Otherwise, today's country music seems more like pop music to me. They just add some "country-ish" instruments on top of pop and rock tunes and call it country music, and it obviously sells.

Not to forget, the lyrics, the lyrics.... :D One of a kind.

WackyT
January 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
dude its like asking why men have nipples. they really dont serve any purpose and there just there.

OT: How to Use There, Their and They're (http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They%27re)

:poke:

street music
January 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM
As for having balls, ya'll left out Merle Haggard! :master: He's the original "working man" and plays a pretty good Tele to boot! I saw him a year or so ago and he could still put on a good show. Oh, and don't forget David Allen Coe.

Oh Please! Don't include David Alan Coe. He is the biggest disapointment that I have paid to see in my 53 years on this earth.
Keith Urban , Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, and a new face on the road is Roger Coleman who plays lead for Justin Moore are just great. If any of you get the chance to catch Justin Moore this year be sure that you do.

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
on Mayhem: I didn't notice much musicality there.

First off - I don't like this music. I can tolerate it, but don't like it.

Second, as hard as it is to explain - these guys know nothing about music and that is obvious, so in that respect you are right about the musicality of it all, but I have had many and many heated debates with my flatmate about this and in the end, it has to be said, what they are doing is very different from what Western music is to a degree.

Western music is based on harmony and melody, but, though Norway is considered to be 'the West', this music resembles Chinese and Indian music more than American or European music in that it tries to evoke a certain 'atmosphere' as opposed to trying to play cool riffs or sweet licks. It requires a completely different kind of appreciation.

I just wanted to point that out :AOK:

Back to country singers. . .

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 05:44 PM
That sly Robert, this has all been a set-up

Robert's Next Road Trip

http://www.ccma.org/pastinduct.html

street music
January 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I think Robert needs to load up his Tele and travel to Nashville and visit Cadillac Ranch for a few nights.

Andy
January 16th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I think Robert would enjoy nashville, bring the suhr and sit in at some of the downtown open mics.
Ofcourse,a visit to gruhn would be major GAS.

R_of_G
January 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Can we see Allison Krauss while we're in Nashville? Her singing is just fine with me.

Andy
January 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Anybody coming to Nashville,Let me know ahead of time, and I can get Opry tickets and usually get backstage passes .(but not always)you can meet Little Jimmy Dickens. heh.

Allison krauss makes me all fuzzy inside ...

bigoldron
January 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Allison krauss makes me all fuzzy inside ...

I can see that! Now if you can score me a meeting with Martina McBride or Sara Evans, then I'm good! :drool:

street music
January 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
ANDY, I may have to take you up on that. Mark a meeting for me with Allison and Sara and Jennifer Nettles. That should be all I'll need other than going by Cadillac Ranch for a night or two.
I think Robert would enjoy being there during the music fest, at least he would have enough country for awhile.

piebaldpython
January 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
:rotflmao: Lets' just hope that Robert doesn't go back to Canada wearing one of those "string" ties. I know they're all the rage in Texas and Down South. :confused: Never could understand it. :D

street music
January 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I hope Robert knows who Emerson Drive is since they are from CANADA, and Shania Twain too.

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Street music, sure I know. Never thought Shania Twain has any country music in her music though, so to speak. But I like her.

player
January 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
A lot of Bluegrass in these parts.unless I am not able to hear right nothing sounds ''twangy'' as described.have heard some live groups that should be shot in Roberts defense.If that is the way things are done in these parts it is little wonder why I miss South Florida :D

street music
January 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Shania was top female country singer for a couple of years but not your A_TYPICAL country voice too some, I'll agree with Robert that much of what is country today was POP rock in the late 70s-80s era, I guess that evolution
effects music the same as anything else. Blues may someday be the dark gothic tones of today.

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
:AOK:Why are those guitars so pointy? :AOK:

Like any style, you either get it or you don't.

Lots of crap & a few jewels in every genre.

luvmyshiner
January 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM
That's an accent. They actually talk that way down in Waco.

Dude, I already told you . . . we don't have an accent . . . you do.:poke:

markb
January 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Lots of crap & a few jewels in every genre.

Sturgeon's law applies as ever :) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

tunghaichuan
January 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM

+1. Suhr does.

tung

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
That's probably the reason that Obama is going to appoint a Sturgeon General.

Sorry, it was just running through my head.

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks Mark. I had never heard of Sturgeon's Law before.

I think that the crap ratio needs to be revised upward. ;)

I like "Nothing is always absolutely so" even better.

sunvalleylaw
January 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Those darn country singers ruing all the songs:

IgzsZbxBh8g&feature=related

Spudman
January 18th, 2009, 10:19 PM
The proper way to yodel

bpV5InLw52U

bigoldron
January 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM
The proper way to yodel

bpV5InLw52U

Great video Spud! I would say that I enjoyed watching it, but because of the da&* inauguration, the Internet crawling, so it was watch a few seconds and wait, watch a few and wait. :whatever:

Anyway, "Hocus Pocus" by Focus is one of those songs that's kinda out there - so much so that you can't help but like it. (At least I do...) Whenever I mention the name of this song, my wife and kids look at me like I've lost my mind. And, once it starts playing and that guy starts "singing", then they know I have! :D

Anyway, how the he%$ does a person keep a straight face when doing that song? I don't know that I could. :D :rotflmao:

Tynee
January 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM
That may be the funniest thing I've ever seen, especially when you take into account here intro...