PDA

View Full Version : The Kingbees - Rockabilly before the Stray Cats

sunvalleylaw
January 14th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Viking Power was inquiring about a guitar that covers rockabilly among a few other genres. The Stray Cats and Brian Setzer, use a hollowbody sound. But we one must not forget The Kingbees, who came out with their selftitled album in 1980, which I heard for the first time in freshman year of college in late '81. Jamie James, the lead guitarist and vocalist, is a strat guy, and I think lays out some pretty nice rockabilly from his strat. Here is a bit. Sorry, no live clips that I could find.

tcrkCCOI7pM&feature=related

Andy
January 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM
It goes back to Carl Perkins

Rocket
January 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Let's not forget Eddie Cochran...

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Abolutely! Scotty Moore too. I just am interested in hearing this style from a strat, and liked these guys back in the day. They seem to be almost forgotten now.

Rocket
January 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I just am interested in hearing this style from a strat...
Yup, that's unusual... I don't think I could pull it off with a standard Strat, (if I had one.) I'd bet it would be fun mix/match pups, pedals, & amps to get it tho.

Viking Power
January 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for turning us on to these guys Sunvalleylaw! Pretty groovy!:beavisnbutthead:

markb
January 22nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
The roots of rockabilly guitar can be found here. Incidentally, find a recoding of It's Raining Here This Morning as recorded by Grandpa Jones and Merle Travis in 1942. Play it back to back with The King's That's Alright Mama and gasp at the similarities :AOK: .

N8vOTKMqzw4

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Excellent Mark! Thanks!

What guitar is that? Hollowbody, P90s?

markb
January 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Excellent Mark! Thanks!

What guitar is that? Hollowbody, P90s?

It's a modified Gibson Super 400. I suspect Paul Bigsby worked on it. He seems to have done a lot of work for Travis including replacing the neck on his D28.