PDA

View Full Version : Crossroads - The face behind the music

Jimi75
January 15th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ever wondered who played the classical stuff plus the final classical Duel in the movie Crossroads? Well, here you go....William (Bill) Kanegiser. You might remember that specific song from the "school" scene in the movie.

ZE7YGAgNEu0&feature=related

Kazz
January 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM
What....you mean Ralph Macchio didn't do his own guitar playing? :-)

Jimi75
January 15th, 2009, 05:09 AM
What....you mean Ralph Macchio didn't do his own guitar playing? :-)

He didn't even do his own KARATE :whatever:

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Beautiful!

That song is hard enough on a piano. . . I bet it's bloody infuriating to learn on the guitar!

But, Jimi, as I previously stated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(1986_film)

Read the first bullet-point under Music and Guitar Duel :D

They just had all sorts of crazy musicians working on that film!!! Why/how did it flop!?

Suhnton
January 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Ever wondered who played the classical stuff plus the final classical Duel in the movie Crossroads? Well, here you go....William (Bill) Kanegiser. You might remember that specific song from the "school" scene in the movie.

ZE7YGAgNEu0&feature=related

I remember reading an interview with him in GP when Crossroads was first released. He was talking about/lamenting the fact that Ralph Macchio's character ditched classical music to play the blues, and classical guitar was portrayed as being quite rigid and stiff. However, he said he felt vindicated when the caharcter reverted back to classical guitar to defeat the devil's henchman/Steve Vai.

Actually, in that issue of GP, they interviewed all 3 guitarists: Steve Vai, Ry Cooder, and William Kanegiser. The Steve Vai interview was also interesting. He said that one day, Ry Cooder walks in, sits down and just starts playing off the cuff. Steve Vai said he felt really embarrassed because he didn't know what to do. He said it inspired him to try play the same way, and the result was the guitar intro on "Goin' Crazy" on the "Eat 'em and Smile" album.

Ry Cooder mentioned he had a dream in which he was in the jungle trying to understand just what he should be doing with his guitar-playing. The next moment, Curtis Mayfield pops out from behind the trees, his hair was made of steel guitar strings (IIRC), and says "man, you just have to play..." (or something along those lines. :)

Kazz
January 16th, 2009, 05:25 AM
He didn't even do his own KARATE :whatever:

Sure he did...Ralph Macchio is a legitimate black belt in Karate.

Kazz
January 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Beautiful!

That song is hard enough on a piano. . . I bet it's bloody infuriating to learn on the guitar!

But, Jimi, as I previously stated:

Read the first bullet-point under Music and Guitar Duel :D

They just had all sorts of crazy musicians working on that film!!! Why/how did it flop!?

Your link was not working looks like the ending bracket is missing