PDA

View Full Version : Emergency! Advice Needed ASAP!

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I just called the music store in Green Bay that has the Jackson RR3 in ivory with black pinstripes. I had called them on Tuesday, telling them about what I would need in a trade-in on my Fender to make it possible. They said that our numbers would be pretty close--they'd just need to see my guitar. I got permission from SWMBO to get it if the amount I spend is no more than what I will be getting for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

So the question is this: do I go for it? As I've said many times in the past, a Rhoads with that paint job is my dream guitar. This special model gets it within my price range. Of course, you can't get without giving. I really like my Fender. It's very fun to play, albeit somewhat tonally inflexible with only one pickup.

Thoughts? I plan on going to Green Bay after lunch.

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
What does the little man inside you say?

Robert
January 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
If it is your dream guitar, then GET IT! That's what I did (Suhr)...
:dude:

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
If the "pain" is exceeded by the "gain", you should go for it. How often do "dream guitars" come around at affordable prices?

I assume you're taking the Fender to Green Bay for trade-in value appraisal then?

P.S. I hope that "little man inside you" is more reliable than Strum's. To wit:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10034

piebaldpython
January 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
GET IT!!!!!!!!! :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

"He who hesitates is lost." To me, from what you say, this git is mucho better than the one you have. Since you can go to the store and TEST DRIVE it, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
It's not like you're buying it sight unseen or unheard.

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM
If the "pain" is exceeded by the "gain", you should go for it. How often do "dream guitars" come around at affordable prices?

I assume you're taking the Fender to Green Bay for trade-in value appraisal then?

P.S. I hope that "little man inside you" is more reliable than Strum's. To wit:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10034

The little man is reliable, but if you don't listen...:thwap:

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM
The little man is reliable, but if you don't listen...:thwap:
Ah, so it's the big man that's the problem, huh? ;)

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I have played it and I liked it. I wasn't able to get a great take on the pickups since I was playing through an unfamiliar amp. They clearly weren't bad. That is also an easy fix, if need be. It needed a setup, but that's not a big surprise. I'd put 10s on it anyway which would require a setup. I can handle that. Mainly the bridge needed to be lowered a tad while putting a smidge more relief in the neck. The switch to 10s might take care of the relief all by itself.

My wife said, "You're not going to get this and immediately want to change the pickups are you?" I truthfully answered that I couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't switch them out. That'd be a ways in the future though.

Admittedly, the only reason I posted this is because of Strummy's recent "seller's remorse" posts.

bigoldron
January 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Go for it! 'Nuff said! :AOK:

Katastrophe
January 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
So, let's think this out a bit...

Is it likely that you could find another Fender like yours if you got rid of the one you have? If so, get the Rhoads. You'll be getting your dream guitar and can replace the Fender if necessary later on down the road.

If the answer is no, consider this: Does your FR guitar fit the same role as the Fender? If yes, then get the Rhoads.

If the FR guitar doesn't fit the same role as the Fender, but is close enough, get the Rhoads.

So, our little flowchart of decision making points to getting the Rhoads. It's your dream guitar, which is good justification for getting the Rhoads in an of itself.

So, we can logically conclude that it is in your best interest to get the Rhoads.

GET IT, MAN!

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Well, here I go. We'll see what I come home with . . .

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
It's your dream, so you are the one to answer. I am more a traditional shape guy than you are, so it is not my dream. But if it is yours, I say go for it. I hope when you go see it, it has that just right feel in your hands. Happy for you!

SuperSwede
January 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
You need this guitar Marnold! Get it! :)

Viking Power
January 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Beautiful guitar. Like others have said, if this is your dream guitar, you should probably get it. My .02.

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
To quote Kyle Broflovski, "Well, that whole experience sure did suck." I got to the store to find out that the person I talked to on Tuesday misunderstood me. So the amount that I hoped to get for my guitar and the amount I hoped to pay were reversed. So, back home I came with my Fender. I did get a Jazz III XL this time, so the trip wasn't entirely a waste. My son went with me. On the way home we stopped for a root beer for him and a regular beer for me at my favorite brewpub.

Basically my options are:
1) Do nothing and be happy.
2) Try to sell my Fender on eBay, hope I get the price I want, and in the meantime hope that they don't sell that Jackson.

Right now I'm leaning towards #1, although I'd be the mother of all liars if I said I wasn't pretty disappointed right now.

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Bummer. Sorry for the disappointment. Sleep on it, and maybe there will be a way.

thearabianmage
January 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
T'is truly a sad story, but remember - there are many more fish in the sea, and enough RR's to go around!

You will get it, my friend, don't worry. As I always say, true desire manifests itself in myriad ways.

just strum
January 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Go for it. Remember what I said, the remorse sets in once we forget the reason we sold or traded for it. While I miss some of the other guitars, I wouldn't have the ones I enjoy more if I didn't sell some off. You know how it is, I don't need to explain it to you.

I've seen some of your reasoning posted in the forum, you will make the right decision.

tjcurtin1
January 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
My wife said, "You're not going to get this and immediately want to change the pickups are you?"

Wow! Your wife knows what pickups are, and that they can be changed?!?! That's pretty good - or, well, bad - she's REALLY onto you, Rev!

EDIT: I hadn't read to the end when I posted - sorry to hear the disappointing news... Could you put a deposit on the RR to hold it while you ebay the Fender? It's a buyers market right now - sales are down - so they might be happy to hold it...

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I can't afford this one any more than I can afford the original one, but all I can say is wow. I see some Google threads where these were going for $699.

eVilBay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Jackson-RR3M-Electric-Guitar-Snow-White-LTD-EDIT_W0QQitemZ310115775100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuita r?hash=item310115775100&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)

marnold
January 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Wow! Your wife knows what pickups are, and that they can be changed?!?! That's pretty good - or, well, bad - she's REALLY onto you, Rev!

EDIT: I hadn't read to the end when I posted - sorry to hear the disappointing news... Could you put a deposit on the RR to hold it while you ebay the Fender? It's a buyers market right now - sales are down - so they might be happy to hold it...
Yeah, that cat got out of the bag when I replaced the pups on my Floyd. She's on to me, no doubt about that.

I hadn't thought about your suggestion. I'd have to ponder it. I don't know if they'd be willing to do that or not. I'm also not sure I could get what I want for my Fender. Even though they were a limited model, if it's not a basic Strat or Tele, people aren't interested, it seems.

Jimi75
January 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear your plan did not come together. Anyways, if it is your big dream you should get it and in reverse sell some stuff on the bay to pay back the family cash.

marnold
January 16th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear your plan did not come together. Anyways, if it is your big dream you should get it and in reverse sell some stuff on the bay to pay back the family cash.
Here's the thing. While I've always lusted after a Rhoads in that color, the fact is that the quality of my Fender and that Rhoads are pretty much the same. I'd maybe even give the slightest advantage to my Fender (just because of the set neck, 24 frets, and better pickup). It doesn't make logical sense to me to sell my guitar and fork over a ton of money to get a different guitar that's roughly the same quality. If we were talking an American made Rhoads or that RR3M with a Floyd and bona fide Duncans in it, that would be a different argument.

The price on those ivory RR3s is jacked up because of the paint job and because they only made 100 of them. That's it. For the same price you can get a regular RR3 with a Floyd and real Duncans. That's, at minimum, $150 worth of improvements. Of course, you don't get the color.

thearabianmage
January 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Here's the thing. While I've always lusted after a Rhoads in that color, the fact is that the quality of my Fender and that Rhoads are pretty much the same. I'd maybe even give the slightest advantage to my Fender (just because of the set neck, 24 frets, and better pickup). It doesn't make logical sense to me to sell my guitar and fork over a ton of money to get a different guitar that's roughly the same quality. If we were talking an American made Rhoads or that RR3M with a Floyd and bona fide Duncans in it, that would be a different argument.

The price on those ivory RR3s is jacked up because of the paint job and because they only made 100 of them. That's it. For the same price you can get a regular RR3 with a Floyd and real Duncans. That's, at minimum, $150 worth of improvements. Of course, you don't get the color.

If anything, mate, Jackson have been selling RR's for well over 20 years and I doubt anytime soon that they will give them up. You'll get your chance. Oh, yes, you will :dude:

R.B. Huckleberry
January 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Wasn't meant to be this time around.

You'll get your chance, and the deal you want. It's happened for me more times than I care to remember. If it can happen for a donkey like me, it can happen for you.

Kazz
January 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Acronym time...SWMBO?

Sorry it didn;t work out for you Rev Rawk....You know the score tho...probably better than most...when it is meant to be it works out....and when not....well you know.

tunghaichuan
January 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Acronym time...SWMBO?

That's easy: She Who Must Be Obeyed. In my house it is Mrs. Tung. :rotflmao:

tung

duhvoodooman
January 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
That's easy: She Who Must Be Obeyed. In my house it is Mrs. Tung. :rotflmao:

tung
Yep. Got one of those here, too! :rotflmao:

marnold
May 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Just an interesting little tidbit--I was in that same music shoppe on Saturday. The main reason I was in there was because I knew they were a Floyd Rose dealer and I wanted to see if they had any Speedloader strings. They had one set of 10s left. They said they had two cases that they ended up putting on eBay. Wish I had known.

Anyway, that RR3 was still there much to my surprise. I looked at it again briefly, but then went on my way.

duhvoodooman
May 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM
....that RR3 was still there much to my surprise. I looked at it again briefly, but then went on my way.
It's only a matter of time.... :poke: ;)