PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Lesmeisters!

Nelskie
July 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
And what's this? ZERO activity on the Gibson section of the form since . . . *gasp* . . . MAY 30TH? :eek: My six-string brothers, that's over a MONTH! Such a travesty. Seems to me that this happened a little while back on the Stratocaster section of the forum, and it was Nelskie's Guitar 911 that responded to this rock n' roll emergency. As happy as I am to see folks posting pictures, and enjoying discussion about fantastic Fender guitars, I'm once again completely amazed of the need to once again resuscitate a most-important thread.

Many a guitar legend have called upon this slab of six-stinged perfection to create some of the most amazing music ever created. Clapton. Page. Bloomfield. Green. Townshend. Allmann. Kossof. Zappa. Moore. Rossington. Collins. Perry. Schon. The Reverend. Frehley. Frampton. Knopfler. Sholz. Slash. Wylde. These are but a few players who have made their mark with a trusty Les Paul slung over their shoulder.

Myself, I was fortunate to have crossed path with an Epiphone sunburst model Les Paul way back in 1990. Sixteen years later, when I need to bring the mojo, there's only one guitar I reach for - my Epi Les Paul.

I've owned lots of guitars in the (23) years I've been playing. But I can honestly say that there is only one instrument that made me feel like a real, honest-to-goodness rock star - my Les Paul. Fretters, THIS guitar is what rock n' roll is all about! Bad-a$$, in-your-face, let's-get-it-on rock n' roll!

How about it, fellow Lesmeisters? You got game? Let's see / hear about it! ;)

Katastrophe
July 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
You know, its very timely that you posted this thread... While I was reading it, CMT was doing a special on the 20 Greatest Southern Rock Songs. Toy Caldwell was layin' it down on his Les Paul, with the bittersweet lines of "Can't You See" wafting through the air with all the profound sadness that lost love can bring.

For all the meannes it can bring, the Lester has a sweet side, too, when played by the likes of Caldwell or Dickey Betts. It's funny, I don't own a Les Paul, but when I play one (or one of its many clones), it tends to bring out the more melodic side to my playing...

Beautiful guitar, man!:DR

Nelskie
July 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
For all the meannes it can bring, the Lester has a sweet side, too, when played by the likes of Caldwell or Dickey Betts
Oh man! I can't believe I forgot Dickey Betts! He was the primary inspiration behind my most recent Les Paul purchase - a beautiful Epi '56 Reissue Goldtop w/ P-90's. Dickey's country-fused tone and less-is-more approach have both been major influences to my own style, esp. these last few years. A lot of folks ramble on and on about Duane's playing (and rightfully so), but Dickey's style provided the perfect counterpoint to his, and as such, the Allmann sound still continues to be a primary component of the rock n' roll sound to this very day. As for Toy Caldwell and his work with the Marshall Tucker Band - yet another glowing example of country-fused rock / blues. Nice call on both of those, Kat! ;)

It's funny, I don't own a Les Paul, but when I play one (or one of its many clones), it tends to bring out the more melodic side to my playing...
And so, my advice to you: Don't let that magic get away. Who knows where it will lead . . . ;)

warren0728
July 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
i just got my first les paul...a 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special SL. It is a rare spearmint green color with p100's. The guitar is completely stock and i am going to keep it that way.

I love the sound of this guitar, especially through my peavey classic 20.

ww

http://warrenworld.com/lp/lp-1.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/lp/lp-2.jpg

http://warrenworld.com/lp/lp-3.jpg

Nelskie
July 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
WOW! Fabulous guitar, Warren. That Peacock Green is just awesome, esp. with the standard top & black P-90's. BTW - where you been hidin'?

Robert
July 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Wow, that is a sweet looking green LP! And P-100's - cool! Never played a guitar with those. Nice tone I bet!

duhvoodooman
July 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
How about it, fellow Lesmeisters? You got game? Let's see / hear about it!
Now, this is really weird! To wit:

I was thinking exactly the same thing today, noting all the Fender activity of late, and the last thread in the Gibson forum was bemoaning quality problems. Not exactly a stellar showing! I thought to myself, "Geez, somebody should start a Show-us-your-LP thread..."
Next, I read Kat's posting about Toy Caldwell playing "Can't You See?", when I just bought the Marshall Tucker Band anthology CD yesterday and played along with that tune for the first time in probably 25 years.
When I open up this thread & start reading it, I'm in the process of jamming along to the live version of "Whipping Post" from the bonus live CD that comes with the "deluxe" version of "Eat a Peach". So I've literally got Duane wailing in one ear and Dickey in the other, while reading their names in the thread!
Yesterday, I exchange PM's with Warren and he shoots me those same pix of his gorgeous new Green-with-a-capital-G LP Special.

So with all that incredible coincidence swirling around me, here's a couple of pix of my beloved Epi Elitist LP Standard. The smoke & sparks from all that Allman Bros. jammin' doesn't seem to have left any permanent marks! :DR

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/LP_new_pups.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/LP_bodyshot.jpg

warren0728
July 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
where you been hidin'?
not hiding...just took a break :)

warren0728
July 5th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Nice tone I bet!
oh yeah....completely different tone than any of my other guitars!

i am really lovin it.

ww

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Very nice guitar Warren! That green color is awesome :)
I bet that there is a little fella at your house that intends to "borrow" this guitar a lot.

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Not a Gibson, but this is the Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul from 1974 that I unfortunately sold a couple of years ago... It had a maple neck which gave it a slightly different sound than the rosewood variants.

Tim
July 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Warren – Nice looking guitar. Green is my favorite color by the way. I think that color would really stand out on any stage. Looks like Nelskie has already named her for you: “Peacock”. It kind of has a ring to it

warren0728
July 6th, 2006, 05:59 AM
thanks tim...i've been working on a name....green meany is one idea but since i got it from a friend of mine during my trip to nyc to see etta james and susan tedeschi at carnegie hall....i was thinking of working a nyc theme into it...

ww

Katastrophe
July 6th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Swede - That Ibanez looked awesome. I'll bet it played well, too!

Warren - How about "The Mean Green Blues Machine" ? Beautiful guitar, man! You are building up quite a nice collection...:DR

Tim
July 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Warren – Why not put the two together. Read the pilot description. Sounds like she (the guitar) might fit the part as the main character as the sultry seductress.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=103847

Tone2TheBone
July 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
You got your Gibson Warren sweet! *2 thumbs up*

Tone2TheBone
July 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Alright here is my 20 year old Gibson Les Paul. Again for those that don't know the history I got it at a local shop for practically free....($250 cash after a little bartaring). The guitar was sitting in a shop in another part of town from the store it originally sat in. That particular store burned in a fire and a lot of their inventory was destroyed...some of it was salvageable. Is that spelling right? In fact I remember seeing this guitar on the rack when it came into that store brand new before the fire. Despite it's history (which I think is very cool and adds a bunch to the mojo level) the guitar plays wonderfully and has no problems at all. Intonation is good, guitar keeps it's tune and the neck is strong and true. The only concern I've had which I told Nelskie about was the exposed headstock joints which are 3 pieces of mahogany as you will see on the pics. So far it's held up and plays like a new guitar!

Here's a shot of the bottom of the guitar where it took a DING from falling off the wall hanger during the store fire. There is some finish cracking at the pots and some discoloration on the body. Also a few other dings made by me.

This is the headstock from the back. You can see how the nitro finish has been burned some from the wall hanger at the neck. The other side is burned the same way. You can also see a finish gouge/crack that has so far held up...apparently cosmetic only.

Here is the back of the guitar. If you look closely you can see many many little dings and discoloration. Some is from the fire but also some is from being played over the years.

The headstock is an interesting sight. You can clearly see the 3 pieces of mahogany that are glued to form the headstock. When I got the guitar most of the nitro finish was still on there but there was some peeling that had occured. Over the course of 20 years it has peeled even more. You can also notice dings all around the headstock from being played. I've played this guitar in bars, backyard parties and one decent sized concert hall. Plus all the time playing it at home and at friend's homes.

Here's the front of the body. I brightened up the photo some for view but in real life the color is actually a cream color. It was originally Alpine White I believe...

warren0728
July 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You got your Gibson Warren sweet! *2 thumbs up*
yes i did! Man that les paul of yours has definately got some mojo working!! Perfect for playing those "hot licks". Thanks for the pics.

ww

Tone2TheBone
July 8th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I been relooking at yours Warren and I really love that green color and the black pups and pickguard. Have a name for it yet? I used to name my guitars too...my old 70s LP that was stolen was named "Judy". *smiles*

SS - This guy I knew had one of those Ibanez LPs. It was cream colored like the way mine is now and it had the maple neck. It was really a cool looking guitar and he played it through a Carvin half stack.

Great Les Paul pics you guys. I love my Fenders but I'll always turn to my Les Paul. One of these days I REALLY would like a Gibson Custom Shop '58 reissue or a '60 reissue. A '59 reissue is still way more than I would pay unless I won a lottery or something. I hope to have my Nashville Gibson Studio for another 20 more years....maybe even 50 years more!

warren0728
July 8th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I been relooking at yours Warren and I really love that green color and the black pups and pickguard. Have a name for it yet?

yea...i love the green color too....here is a closeup that shows the dark grain pattern of the wood...ties in nicely with the black pickguard and p100's.

Haven't given it a name yet...but it is definately my number one. I played it through the valve jr. yesterday and it sounded great (i have been playing it through my classic 20).....

and yes ss....conner asks to play it all the time...i let him play it a little :)

http://warrenworld.com/lp/lp-1a.jpg

Nelskie
July 8th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Not a Gibson, but this is the Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul from 1974 that I unfortunately sold a couple of years ago... It had a maple neck which gave it a slightly different sound than the rosewood variants.
Swede - What a cool guitar! From the photo, it appears to have an abalone binding on the top. Am I correct? Looks like solid mahogany, too. The maple neck, surprisingly, looks right at home on that guitar. Set neck, I'm assuming. From what I understand, these guitars also have some collectability. Why did you part with it?

Katastrophe
July 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Tone, that LP of yours has a mojo level that can't be measured. That's just way too cool to have an instrument with that kinda history.

Thanks for sharing, man!:DR

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Nelskie - Yes it had a set neck, and abalone binding was a correct guess as well. I dont know what wood it was, but I think it was mahogany. However, it wasnt totally solid, it had some kind of tone chamber (you could knock on it and hear that) , but it was not visible from the pickup/controls cavities.
They (Ibanez) built really nice copies in the first years (72?-75), but they were sued by Gibson (thats why LP´s from that period is called lawsuit copies) and had to change their headstock design.

It was a really nice guitar, and those Ibanez super 70´s pickups was really awesome.. so why did I sell it? Well I was piss poor when my oldest girl was born so I needed the cash (and I got paid well for it). I also sold my Gibson LP (sorry no pic of that) a few months later. I think that at least a few of you guys here have similar experiences....

Tone - I havent seen any cream colored lawsuit LP´s , did it also have the super 70´s pickups ? If it had those it would have been a "custom" and those are the ones to look for, the standard versions had two rather sub-standard pickups.
Your LP really looks fantastic!! Another 20 years and the relicing will be complete :DR

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Not a Gibson here...A 2000 SX SLPJr Les Paul clone. Solid mahogany, set-neck, two raunchy P90s. Refinished almost two years ago in clear lacquer (used to be really thick clear poly). Sound and plays great, especially with its huge frets.

http://cyberjammin.com/uploads/Images/sxlpjr-004.jpg

Tim
July 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
WHAT ??? A guitar lying on the ground! This is an outrage. Put that guitar in a cradle or stand where she belongs. Nice looking guitar there Kerc.

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM
WHAT ??? A guitar lying on the ground! This is an outrage. Put that guitar in a cradle or stand where she belongs. Nice looking guitar there Kerc.

Hahahahaah! Thanks! Lemme assure you, I placed it carefully over the floor.

:D

SuperSwede
July 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Nice axe kerc!
Must be a lot of bite in that one :)

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Nice axe kerc!
Must be a lot of bite in that one :)

I gotta record something with it soon. :cool:

Tone2TheBone
July 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
My Gibson Les Paul is 20 years old today yay!

Tim
July 11th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Happy Birthday to Tone2TheBone's Gibson Les Paul guitar. May she have many more gigs.

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
My Gibson Les Paul is 20 years old today yay!

Congrats!!! :D Any pics?

EDIT: Saw the pics! Beautiful!!

Riley
July 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I have a 2003 Gibson Les Paul Junior, the one's they supposedly discontinued in '02. I love it, that P90 sound!

http://riley-music.com/Pics/GuitarGear/GuitarsOutdoors6-06/LPJuniorOutside1.JPG

http://riley-music.com/Pics/GuitarGear/GuitarsOutdoors6-06/LPJuniorOutside2.JPG

-Peace
-Nate

Nelskie
July 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Right on, Kerc. That Jr. is a beauty. I've always kind of looked at the Les Paul Jr. as Gibson's answer to the Telecaster. A real no-frills kind of rig, with loads of great tone. And like you, I'm waaaaaaayyyyy into the awesome sound of P-90 pick-ups, esp. in a Les Paul!

Here's a couple snaps of my Epiphone '56 Goldtop RI, with factory P-90's. I'd originally planned on swapping out the stock p'ups on this guitar, but the more I play it, the better those units sound. As a matter of fact, I might even say that they sound better than most of the aftemarket P-90 p'ups I've heard. Strange - but true.

kerc
July 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM
The Epi Goldtop is so beautiful!

SuperSwede
July 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
MMMmmm.. Goldtop.. :)

Epiphone makes fantastic goldtop guitars, a little "green" just like a aged goldtop usually gets! Congrats Nelskie, do you have more amazing guitars to pull out of your hat?

Nelskie
July 19th, 2006, 02:32 PM
... do you have more amazing guitars to pull out of your hat?
Swede - I don't know if I'd go as far as to describe any one of my guitars as "amazing". To me, amazing is a vintage '59 Les Paul with all original hardware and electronics, or an unrestored early 60's Strat that has been naturally relic'ed from years of playing.

And no, nothing more to pull out of my hat. You guys have seen the whole "herd".

SuperSwede
July 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Ok, perhaps. But I still think the visual qualities on some epiphone guitars are as good as the "real" thing. And your goldtop certainly is among those. So I get "amazed" every time I see a guitar build with such craftmanship (even though I know that these guitars is mass produced). They just look gorgeous.
Hmm.. what can I say, I love guitars :)

Plank_Spanker
September 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM
My 2001 Studio Plus. A great Les Paul that earns it's keep:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_0211_0002.jpg

Please disregard my "ugly game face"...................:D

Spudman
September 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Real nice finish on that axe.

I think I've played the same club where this photo was shot.;) Did the owner tell you to turn down too?

Nelskie
September 30th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Club Basement, right? We play there a lot, too, Spud. ;)

SuperSwede
September 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Spanker, is that a Johnson amp head?

duhvoodooman
September 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Spanker? Now, that adds a kinky edge that I'm not real comfortable with! :eek: :D

tot_Ou_tard
September 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Being away, like Warren was before this thread started.....

I missed this thread, nice guitars all!

I'd love to hear descriptions or better yet clips of those P90s & P100s.

Plank_Spanker
September 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Yeah, it's my JM250 Millennium. I don't gig with it anymore. I prefer the sound of my Germino these days.

Plank_Spanker
September 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Club Basement, right? We play there a lot, too, Spud. ;)

Scout's Honor................it's a real bar! :D

And, no, we haven't been told to turn down - yet.

SuperSwede
October 1st, 2006, 02:54 AM
Yeah, it's my JM250 Millennium. I don't gig with it anymore. I prefer the sound of my Germino these days.

I havent had the chance to try a Johnsson amp, but I hear that they are quite good. No stores around here seem to carry them anymore, are they out of business?

Plank_Spanker
October 1st, 2006, 01:50 PM
The Johnson amps have been out of production for a few years now, and I don't understand why. IMHO, they're still the best modeling amps out there. Mine have certainly earned their keep and I'm hanging onto them.

SuperSwede
October 2nd, 2006, 02:52 AM
I tried their J-station (or similar name) but it wasnt what I was looking for, but I would love to hear some sounds from the millenium. Do you have any recordings to share?

Plank_Spanker
October 2nd, 2006, 01:29 PM
I tried their J-station (or similar name) but it wasnt what I was looking for, but I would love to hear some sounds from the millenium. Do you have any recordings to share?

We had an old demo that I played the Johnson on, but I don't think there's any remaining disks or the master. I'll look around the house....

duhvoodooman
October 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
The Johnson amps have been out of production for a few years now, and I don't understand why. IMHO, they're still the best modeling amps out there. Mine have certainly earned their keep and I'm hanging onto them.
Lemme get this straight....you're hanging onto your Johnson? :eek:

Plank_Spanker
October 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Lemme get this straight....you're hanging onto your Johnson? :eek:

BOTH of them and..................TIGHTLY.................:D

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Hope no one mids as I bring this up from the depths of 2006. I am new here and have been looking around. Wanted to say my first electric was a 1980 Les Paul. She turned 27 on April 1st. Neveer out of tune..it's amazing. I will get a better pics later. Ehhm..she's the one on the right...:D

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/ovationlespaul.jpg

Tone2TheBone
April 25th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Beautiful Gibby the1percent! Customs play so smooth no wonder they're Gibson's flagship guitar. The Ovation is nice too you got some good stuff.

the1percent
April 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Beautiful Gibby the1percent! Customs play so smooth no wonder they're Gibson's flagship guitar. The Ovation is nice too you got some good stuff.

Thanks. Now if I could only make enough time to play everyday. It is a travesty that I have some great gear, but neglect it so much. I also wish I were a better player. Practice, practice practice is the key. Maybe once the kids move out.....lol.

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM
How about it, fellow Lesmeisters? You got game? Let's see / hear about it! ;)

O-tay!

Here's me, playing one of 'em, with the second Lester in the background as backup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

Here's the 2 guitars without an old man in the picture:

http://static.flickr.com/34/64187961_55ebafd407.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/445304785_3dfb4b8a33.jpg

There ya go.

the1percent
April 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Here are some better? pics. LOL.

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp1.JPG

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp2.JPG

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp3.JPG

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp4.JPG

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp5.JPG

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Here are some better? pics. LOL.

http://exit3.i-55.com/~slowhand/guitars/lp1.JPG

Great guitar, but those are girlie socks! :eek:

;) :D

Plank_Spanker
April 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
O-tay!

Here's me, playing one of 'em, with the second Lester in the background as backup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/BooFest05BKwithspareaxes.jpg

Here's the 2 guitars without an old man in the picture:

http://static.flickr.com/34/64187961_55ebafd407.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/200/445304785_3dfb4b8a33.jpg

There ya go.

I just love seeing Gibbies earn their keep! :D

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I just love seeing Gibbies earn their keep! :D

Haha, I gots lots o' pics of that!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/CP92304BKlaybackSmall.jpg

the1percent
April 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Great guitar, but those are girlie socks! :eek:

;) :D

Hey, they are comfortable. :P

Brian Krashpad
April 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hey, they are comfortable. :P

I kid because I love.

:D

jpfeifer
April 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Great pics of your Les Pauls guys.

I've always thought that Les Pauls were one of the most beautifully designed of all the solid-body electrics. There's just something about the look of that carved top, especially in flame maple. I'd love to own one.

But I really like 335's too. That's probably what I would get first if I had the $$

-- Jim