PDA

View Full Version : Different kind of gig...

Robert
July 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM
A lady just called me and told me she wants me to play guitar for a birthday party. I said I'm not that great of a singer but she doesn't care - just guitar is fine she says. Hmm.... I've never played only guitar for a gig. I'm not a fingerstyle player, but I said yes to the gig.

Now, what the heck should I play!? Any suggestions?

I'll be doing some SRV and some Chuck Berry songs, but please give me tips any song you think would work for a "guitar-only" gig!

I'll probably attempt some vocals on some songs anyway, if I can get away with it. :o

Katastrophe
July 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Some selections off of Pat Boone: In a Metal Mood could work...;) :D

What style of music is she wanting you to play? Is she wanting you to be like a featured act, or to play more background stuff while the party goes on around you?

Spudman
July 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Robert
This is a really good excuse to get either a Boss Loop Station or the Digitech Jam Man Looper. You can play rythym and sing while in the record mode then play an instrumental over what you just recorded when you trigger the pedal. Makes it so you have to come up with fewer songs for the gig by letting you j a m o u t a l i t t l e l o n g e r. :)

Got GAS?

Robert
July 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM
She wants blues, rock, country, roots, whatever! Not metal or loud stuff, more like background music while they have drinks and socialize I think.

Spud, I was thinking that too. Would be cool to have a laptop loaded with backing tracks and jam to that. Those loop machines sure look like fun!

Nelskie
July 7th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Hey Robert - how about some surf music?!!! Whenever my jam crew and I fire up "Pipeline" and "Walk Don't Run" (the versions by the Ventures), everyone is immediately into it. Add a Strat, your Vox's Tweed 4 x 10 setting, a little tremelo, crank up the reverb, and you're ready to "hang 10"!!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
July 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Robert that sounds like fun .. loops and jam tracks are a slipery slope , and for god's sake dont be tempted to lip sync , look what it did to ashley simpsons career ..lol.... 6S9L

Robert
July 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Sure helps if I knew those Ventures songs! I have about 30 minutes to get ready after work, including packing up and get dressed! No time to learn any new stuff...

Thanks 6s9l, I'll be careful, I don't wanna end up like Ashley Simpson!

Nelskie
July 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Sure helps if I knew those Ventures songs! I have about 30 minutes to get ready after work, including packing up and get dressed! No time to learn any new stuff...
Had I known that your gig was less than a day away, I probably wouldn't have made that suggestion. :confused:

t_ross33
July 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Good luck Robert. I'm thinking of exploring a little duo or trio coffee house type gig in the future. Similar situation, mostly background. Quite different from our current rockin' beerhouse stuff :-)

Katastrophe
July 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
So, how did the gig go? What did you end up playing?

Myles
July 10th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Robert that sounds like fun .. loops and jam tracks are a slipery slope , and for god's sake dont be tempted to lip sync , look what it did to ashley simpsons career ..lol.... 6S9L
Well lets be honest, do lip sync, just don't get caught. You don't really think that people can dance around a stage for 4 hours and sing :)

I'd think that you'd need to have some version of happy birthday ready to play and god help you probably the bird dance. :p

Tim
July 10th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Robert - Keep us posted on how it goes.