PDA

View Full Version : New Progressive Rock Bands

Spudman
January 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Courtesy of DPRP they have compiled a list of over 100 fairly newly released albums by bands considered to be Progressive Rock.

Dig in and explore. You might find something that catches your ear and inspires you.

http://www.dprp.net/specials/2009_quest/

Bands are grouped by their country at the top of this page.
Each band has a link to their web site or music page so you can do some sampling.

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Dude, I try, but my music attention span generally is 2 - 3 minutes, or was for the majority of my adult life. I have stretched that a little since re-visiting classic and blues guitar oriented rock, but it is hard for me to listen that long.

I need to go on more road trips where the listening time is not interrupted by the needs of the family. But that rarely happens.

tot_Ou_tard
January 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Yow! Very cool Spudster.

It'll take me some time to explore as well.

carvedtop
January 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I just got turned on to these guys, but it looks like they've been around for 10 years. Very 70's sounding but in a good way. Really like some of the signature changes and guitar work.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I just got turned on to these guys, but it looks like they've been around for 10 years. Very 70's sounding but in a good way. Really like some of the signature changes and guitar work.

Spock's Beard is great even without Neal Morse. If you like SB with Neal then by all means follow the cookie crumbs to Neal's albums: Testimony, One, (my favorite) Question and Sola Scriptura. Then keep following to the 2 great Transatlantic albums. "All Of the Above" is probably the best prog song written in the last 15 years. Then keep going to Yellow Matter Custard, a Beatles cover project with Neal, Mike Portnoy, Paul Gilbert.

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Spock's Beard is great even without Neal Morse. If you like SB with Neal then by all means follow the cookie crumbs to Neal's albums: Testimony, One, (my favorite) Question and Sola Scriptura. Then keep following to the 2 great Transatlantic albums. "All Of the Above" is probably the best prog song written in the last 15 years. Then keep going to Yellow Matter Custard, a Beatles cover project with Neal, Mike Portnoy, Paul Gilbert.
All of those are fantastic!

Yellow Matter Custard is just fantastic fun!

carvedtop
January 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks!
I'll absolutely check these out. Are they available in vinyl? I'm sort of a vinyl collector.
CT

Spudman
January 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks!
I'll absolutely check these out. Are they available in vinyl? I'm sort of a vinyl collector.
CT
I don't think they are. They all came out in the last 10 years.

Jimi75
March 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Just read that the Neal Morse Band will be supporting Dream Theater on one of their open air summer dates 2009....now guess who already got tickets for that event...*pointing at me with both of my index fingers and smiling*

:rockon:

Spudman
March 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Just read that the Neal Morse Band will be supporting Dream Theater on one of their open air summer dates 2009....now guess who already got tickets for that event...*pointing at me with both of my index fingers and smiling*

:rockon:

No doubt.:AOK: I'm super jealous. I'll bet Mike sits in with Neal. That's going to be an awesome show.

Spudman
March 24th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Speaking of new bands...Agents Of Mercy

http://www.myspace.com/agentsofmercy

This is Pat Matelotto (King Crimson), Nad Sylvan(Unifaun), Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings), Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings) and some other musicians including the mysterious Biggo Zelfries. Nad reminds me a lot of a cross between Peter Gabriel and Fish from Marillion.

Jimi75
March 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'll bet Mike sits in with Neal.

You bet! Mike will definitely join Neal on stage for a song.

:AOK: