PDA

View Full Version : Got my Egnater Rebel Head...

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
...thanks to tOt! :AOK: :dude: :bravo: :beer: :master:

He spotted one for sale by a guy at The Gear Page and PM'ed me about it. Turned out the guy had just bought it a few days ago to check out, since he couldn't get one locally. Played it and decided it wasn't his style, so it's essentially new. They go for $600 at MF and he was asking $500. And when we discovered we live about 90 miles from each other, he knocked off another $10 for the shipment cost savings. I PayPal'ed it to him and he's shipping it tomorrow!

Thanks for saving me $110, tOt!! :D

hubberjub
January 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Is that the new 20 watt guy?

Robert
January 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Congrats. I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I'm also curious to hear the awesome rocking tones you're gonna do up for us.

Blaze
January 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Good for you DVM , clip time ....

sunvalleylaw
January 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Congrats DVM! Now you can do tele and Egnater clips!

Jimi75
January 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Tele + Egnater? That is a smoking DUO!
Congrats on that great deal. I hope you put up some clips soon! This little amph monster is awesome!

piebaldpython
January 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
CONGRATS!! ahahaha I'm interested in hearing how the Egnater takes to your pedals too.. :rockon:

oldguy
January 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hey, that's great, Vood!
(I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'd like to hear some clips when you get it.)

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm glad that it worked out. :AOK:

How soon will you get it? We're clip & review hungry. ;)

just strum
January 16th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Happy New Toy Day!!!!

You probably listened to the little man and the big man (oh, and got permission);)

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Assuming he ships UPS today as he said, Monday, I would think.

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Happy New Toy Day!!!!

You probably listened to the little man and the big man (oh, and got permission);)

I take it that I'm the "little man". :D

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Cant wait for some clips and or your opinion !!!:bravo: Are these china made?? :poke:

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Do you mean new 30 watt guy?

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20090116/463/Egnater_Rebel_30_Demo.aspx

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, exactly. With the 1 - 20W power control and continuous blend control between pairs of 6V6 and EL84 output tubes:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel-20-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483496

Very cool design, and they sound great, both clean & distorted.

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Are these china made?? :poke:
Yes, I believe so. This and the bigger Tourmaster are Bruce Egnater's first foray into mass-produced/more affordably priced amps. But I understand he's very involved in making sure the quality is first-rate and maintains the Egnater image he's worked hard to establish.

No permission involved, since this is an "internally funded" acquisition. Using the proceeds from the sale of my Nashville Tele plus accumulated pedal sales profits from last several months. :D

Katastrophe
January 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Congrats, DVM!

Pics? Full review? Clips?

I'm really interested to read your take on it, since you're so electronically inclined and all.

:AOK:

tunghaichuan
January 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Sweet, :AOK:

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

tung

bigoldron
January 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Congrats to you DVM! Happy new amph day! (soon) :bravo: :beer:

Tot, remind me to get you involved next time I want some gear! :AOK:

F_BSurfer
January 16th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Congrats DVM being only 90 miles away bet temptation to go get it was hard to overcome

just strum
January 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM
No permission involved, since this is an "internally funded" acquisition. Using the proceeds from the sale of my Nashville Tele plus accumulated pedal sales profits from last several months. :D

I call that "permission recycling" You get initial permission for an item and then you work it into a future purchase using the same initial permission. I think Marnold is in the process or will be in the process of using that concept right now.

With our recycling, we can claim to be a "Green" forum:D

Andy
January 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
DVM, nice score !(can't wait to hear it :) )

Blaze
January 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
How come you did nt get this one when i posted this link?? :eek: ... Just Kidin..

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=487269

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
How come you did nt get this one when i posted this link?? :eek: ... Just Kidin..

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=487269
I tried! I contacted that guy and told him I was very interested but had to finish selling my Nashville Tele, which had 2 days left on the eBay auction at the time. Asked him to give me "first refusal" if he got an offer in the meantime. He got one within a couple of hours, and contacted me to ask if I wanted to buy it right then. I did, but all I wanted was the head, and the offer he got was for both the head and the cab, which he was also selling. So I told him to go ahead and make the deal with the other guy. I didn't feel right about holding him up for a partial sale when he had an offer in hand for the pair.

TS808
January 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I'm anxious to hear what you think of the amp too.

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Congrats to you DVM! Happy new amph day! (soon) :bravo: :beer:

Tot, remind me to get you involved next time I want some gear! :AOK:
What'cho want? ;)

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Spoke to my son a few minutes ago, and UPS delivered the Egnater Rebel to my home earlier this afternoon. :dude: :bravo: :rockon:

If I worked for the State of NY, I'D BE PLAYING IT NOW, because state workers get MLKBD off! But instead I'm here at work. :reallymad:

Mysteriously, since talking to my son, the clocks in this place have slowed w-a-a-a-y down. Time is advancing at a snail's pace. It may have stopped completely. I hope it doesn't start running in reverse.... :thwap:

Blaze
January 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Spoke to my son a few minutes ago, and UPS delivered the Egnater Rebel to my home earlier this afternoon. :dude: :bravo: :rockon:

If I worked for the State of NY, I'D BE PLAYING IT NOW, because state workers get MLKBD off! But instead I'm here at work. :reallymad:

Mysteriously, since talking to my son, the clocks in this place have slowed w-a-a-a-y down. Time is advancing at a snail's pace. It may have stopped completely. I hope it doesn't start running in reverse.... :thwap:

Are you talking about this amph , (((((the torture never stop )))))

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/7/9/3/568793.jpg

oldguy
January 19th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hang in there, it'll be alright, we'll talk you through it.

oldguy
January 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
What's the last thing you remember before speaking with your son?
Think, man, think !!!!

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Are you talking about this amph , (((((the torture never stop )))))

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/7/9/3/568793.jpg
That be the one! Time has definitely ceased to pass here.... :cry:

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Oh man, I know how Vood feels! Waiting sucks. I bet you are breaking picks out of anxiety... :D

http://www.fsfe.org/var/fsfe/storage/images/fellows/robertschuster/images/eguitar_2008_06_28/broken_pick/212227-1-eng-GB/broken_pick_imagelarge.jpg

oldguy
January 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_1154922a80ee4ad4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=813)

:cry: :cry: :cry:
:poke: :poke:

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM
http://plus.maths.org/latestnews/jan-apr08/sand/sand.jpg

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY

(Embedding doesn't seem to work)

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
http://denomolos.com/images/hour_glass.gif

Blaze
January 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.sos-cadeaux.com/cadeaux-original/cadeaux-original-images/cadeau-horloge-inversee.gif

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 04:19 PM
You guys are about as helpful as an open bar at an AA meeting....

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
DING-DING-DING!!! Quittin' time! :D :D :D

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Now ya be teasing!!!! Hurry drive 95mph home and lets hear that rebel !! It is maybe on my short list;)

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
RyL2vAUVOM0

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Knock, knock,...ummm, Vood are you there?

Must be doing the mad scientist thing with his Rebel.

6V6 no EL84..I know 20% 6V6 & 80% El84 no strike that reverse it...

We won't hear from him for days.

Spudman
January 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Knock, knock,...ummm, Vood are you there?

Must be doing the mad scientist thing with his Rebel.

6V6 no EL84..I know 20% 6V6 & 80% El84 no strike that reverse it...

We won't hear from him for days.

He's probably putting in overtime since he won't get to actually play it until the weekend.;)

marnold
January 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
He probably got one of the recalled ones that emit a deadly neurotoxin. It's a shame, really.

Blaze
January 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Internet server problems ,maybe ...

Just tried to get on his Website, oups, not workin ..

Tone2TheBone
January 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Great score Bob I'm happy to hear you got it my friend.

oldguy
January 20th, 2009, 05:35 AM
'Morning, Vood.............how you like that new amph?:)

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM
....Must be doing the mad scientist thing with his Rebel.
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!! :dude: :rockon:

I've gotta spend W-A-A-A-Y more time with this little monster before I get into any sort of halfway decent review. Preliminary impressions: Solid & well made. Compact. Excellent clarity & gobs of harmonics when cranked up a bit. Very flexible--everything from sparkly cleans to vintage heavy metal. Responsive controls. Tube mix feature = VERY cool. Loud as hell (even at 1W!) when you get on the Gain. Only negative I can see thusfar is that it gets fairly noisy up around 3/4 on the Gain knob, but I think that's pretty much the nature of the beast.

Coupla pics:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/ER20/ER20_front2.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/ER20/ER20+gear.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
January 20th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Excellent clarity & gobs of harmonics when cranked up a bit. Very flexible--everything from sparkly cleans to vintage heavy metal. Responsive controls. Tube mix feature = VERY cool.

So can you tell the difference in the cleans & in the hairs as you fiddle with the tube mix?

mrmudcat
January 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Vood is the light tolex white or more creme color?? Thanks:rockon:

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
So can you tell the difference in the cleans & in the hairs as you fiddle with the tube mix?
Absolutely. The 6V6 is a smoother tone with a tighter bottom end. The EL84's have that characteristic sharper top end and stronger upper mids, and the bass gets looser faster as you dial up the gain. Running the mix control right around 50 - 60% seems to be a nice complimentary combination and fills out the sound noticeably.

Vood is the light tolex white or more creme color?? Thanks:rockon:
Light tan is what I'd call it. A little browner than what I think of as "creme". It's a very snazzy looking little amp head. :AOK:

Robert
January 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Love that "tight" switch! :AOK:

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Congrats, Vood! That little amph is a tone monster!

:beer: :bravo:

oldguy
January 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Looking good. What brand tubes came in it?

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Love that "tight" switch! :AOK:
Yeah, that's a nice feature in any amp with EL84's and high gain capability. They're well known for getting muddy sounding with the gain way up, and throwing that switch tightens up the bottom end by raising the bass rolloff frequency. Very useful feature.

Looking good. What brand tubes came in it?
Groove Tubes (pre-selected Chinese). I may pop some JJ's in there at some point, but not for awhile. Sounds plenty good stock.

Blaze
January 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Bravo:bravo: DVM nice beast to get your axes rock..

The year had just started and we ve already have 2 or 3 new Gas owners in mostly Rock & Roll hardware,
might be my turn pretty soon in gettin some killer distortion device or a fuzzy Fuzz...

To be continued...

Congrats :dude:

Blazes

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
....might be my turn pretty soon in gettin some killer distortion device or a fuzzy Fuzz...
I can help ya with that, you know! :D

Brian Krashpad
January 20th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Congrats!

Bloozcat
February 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Wow! I just saw this thread. That's what happens when you are a gov't type worker and get MLK day off...;)

That's a pretty cool concept there...1W to 20W...6V6 and EL84...

I'll bet you're loving this thing...:AOK:

Robert
February 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
So, Vood, what is your verdict? Is it the bee's knees or what? Inquiring minds needs to know... :D

marnold
February 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Yes, the silence has been deafening.

duhvoodooman
February 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I know, I know.... :o

No good excuse other than I've been up to my eyeballs in pedal projects of late. As I type this, I have four (4) painted enclosures drying in front of a space heater about 5 feet to my left. Work, work, work....

Short version is: I like the Egnater Rebel head very much. It has by far the greatest tonal flexibility of the few tube amps I've owned. I haven't been able to crank it loud enough to get output tube distortion, but the preamp stage distortion is very, very good. You can get a very nice classic rock crunch from it. I really haven't tried the scooped metal thing with it, because that's just not my bag, but I'll bet it would do that pretty well, too.

Particularly cool is the 6V6/EL84 blend capability, which gives quite a wide range of voicing to the amp, gain changes aside. Takes pedals extremely well, too. I keep the variable wattage control down pretty low, due to the small size of the room I play in, but I can see where that would be very useful to someone alternating between practicing and gigging with the amp. The effect loop is a great feature to have, too, for those effects that you don't want to send through the preamp. About the only thing I miss in it vs. other tube amps I've owned is not having spring reverb. But a good reverb pedal takes care of that....

Kazz
February 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I seen the Rebel and matching stack at Guitar Center earlier in the week when I stopped in...man that thing looked cool

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Vood, could you give us an update on the Rebel?

Here is a video demo:

MggRs7vPwtk