PDA

View Full Version : Must be getting old - I forget words now

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
When I'm typing messages here on the Fret, I forget words. Words like "if", "not", "when", etc, are often strangely missing when I read a post I just added, so I have to go back and fix, sometimes more than once! :eek:

Leaving out "not" kinda changes the whole message.... not good :confused: :D

Does this happen to you, or am I going slightly mad?

Jimi75
January 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
:-) Have to go back always after posting. Call me Mr Edit! I think it's just normal Robert. As long as you don't forget any guitar licks there's no reason why you should worry :rotflmao:

marnold
January 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Well, when you have to remember Swedish, Canadian, AND English . . .

bigoldron
January 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sounds like a serious case of CRS! :eek: :messedup:

jpfeifer
January 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Robert,

I'm the worst one for that! I'll go back and re-read something that I've posted and find all kinds of mistakes. I don't know if it's from getting older or just trying to type too fast, but I do it all the time.

I find that I also forget names too - don't know why but I've always been bad with remembering names.

-- Jim

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It happens to me all the time too :(

thearabianmage
January 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hey, you're not alone. Sometimes I try and type something like 'this is completely different from before' but it'll come out as 'this is completely from before', yet, whenever I proofread my messages before posting them, I completely gloss over the fact that a word as long 'different' is missing. . . Two/three-letter words are easy to miss, but how can you miss a word as comparatively long as 'different'?

I guess I'm getting old, too :P

Spudman
January 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Robert

That's really just a sign of gear loss. The quick cure is to get a Hagstrom and then it just goes away.

thearabianmage
January 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I find that I also forget names too - don't know why but I've always been bad with remembering names.

This isn't necessarily an age-related issue. Your brain, as I'm sure you well know, is divided into two hemispheres, each of which controls different aspects of your logic, personality, and actions. Now, I can never remember which side does which, but it's said that one hemisphere will be better at abstract concepts (i.e. creativity) and one better at more 'scientific' applications (i.e. cold-hard facts)

So, it's said that if you tend to remember faces well then you are a creative person. This is because a face is an abstract form (in that it can change), and recognition of this is indicative of a better 'understanding' so-to-speak of concepts that can change and your ability to recognize the similarities between the old and new. For example, you can go to school with someone when you are 10, and meet them 20 years later in the grocery store and still recognize them.

Now, on the other hand, if you remember names well, then you are likely to be more adept at remembering set-in-stone facts, because a name changes far less often than a face does. This would make you more 'scientific', because it means you can remember chunks of data more easily. Accountants and mathematicians tend to fall under this category - although with the latter, the most successful of which are said to be very creative individuals as well (i.e. Einstein).

evenkeel
January 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Oh wow is this a topic that hits close to home.

A few nights agao I was playing at a open mic and blanked on the words to a tune I've been playing for decades. :thwap:

Usual strategy, repeat a previous verse, get to the bridge and press on. Situation normal, virtually no one noticed.

In St. Pete the avenues run East-West. The streets North-South. Both are numbered, 9th st. 9th ave for example. I am always forgetting which is which, looking around going "where the he** am I".

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM
When I'm typing messages here on the Fret, I forget words. Words like "if", "not", "when", etc, are often strangely missing when I read a post I just added, so I have to go back and fix [it,]

There, I caught that one for you. ;) Yeah, it happens to me too. But I am not sure it is age. There is the excuse of 40 something "sometimers" disease, but as compared to only a few years ago, our brains have to handle so much more data wherever we go. There is always a screen on pumping data at us these days, and our cell phones, that most of us didn't even have 10-15 years ago, now hit us with email, internet, texts, etc. Internet too. Though I had a computer at work since the late 80's, it was not giving me information from anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 websites at the same time I was trying to work on it back then. (That is why I am trying to come here during the work day only on breaks now) I wonder if our brains don't start "speedtyping" sometimes, like when you learn to skip over connector or otherwise less necessary words when you are reading.

Blaze
January 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
-30 C temperature are nt good for the human veins or maybe you should have a check up with your doc..:whatever:

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when I double-checking. I'm a sad case.

thearabianmage
January 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when I [am] double-checking. I'm a sad case.

:rotflmao:

Sorry, I just had to :D

marnold
January 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Oh no, you must have one of those toxic Suhrs.

Katastrophe
January 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You're probably just getting ahead of yourself when typing, or distracted by other thoughts and things to do during the day.

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
:rotflmao:

Sorry, I just had to :D

Oh, man, that mistake was NOT intentional! Honestly. I need to slow down.

Spudman
January 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
SVL, wow, I missed one again... makes me wonder how many left out words I miss altogether... I obviously miss some even when [I'm] double-checking. I'm a sad case.

Got you covered here too bro.:AOK:

oldguy
January 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
No worry. Most filler words are unnecessary. Readers understand the intent, that's what counts. We're not writing term papers here.

street music
January 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
And I thought I was getting old, heck I'm normal. I seem to think faster than I type, have the same problem playing guitar.
Age wouldn't have anything to do with it ????:thwap:

thearabianmage
January 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Don't worry, it's not just the 'old farts' of the forums - us young'uns forget type words, too. :D