PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

diffra
January 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hey all,

Just saying hi. Checking in from Kauai, HI, originally from Portland, OR. Been playing for about 10 years now (I started when I was 13), have been in a band or two, looking to start something here once i get my gear shipped over from portland (we moved in a hurry and had to leave a lot of stuff behind).

My rig is a Variax 300 and a Pod XT Live. I usually play through my Grado headphones, but picking up a keyboard amp for practice/gigs here soon. influences include everything from Creed/Alter Bridge, to Dream Theater, to Journey.

I'll go ahead and shame myself with a couple of clips. The first one is my first band, i was about 15 or 16. We were horrible... but i'd rather not have someone go finding it and using it as blackmail :rotflmao: The second I wrote as a demo just before we moved. It's all the variax/XT. There's a 12 string acoustic, a semihollow with a P90 and chorus into a fender twin, a LP Special through a marshall 18W, and a mid-position strat detuned a whole step run through the tube preamp for 'bass'. It's not my normal style, but I think it sounds all right except for some tracking issues (recorded it in about an hour, including creating the patches.)

Cross your heart (http://stash.diffra.com/music/TMW-XyrHrt.mp3)
Demo - Gwinna's Song (http://stash.diffra.com/music/Song.mp3)

Auriemma
January 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
From one new guy to another... Welcome.

Spudman
January 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hi and welcome.:wave:

I've got a friend who lives on Kauai.

markb
January 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Welcome from the other end of the Pacific.

duhvoodooman
January 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Welcome to The Fret, diffra! Glad to have you with us. :dude: :beer:

I was in Kauai once for about 48 hrs. Rained like hell the whole time! :eek: Sure looked lush & beautiful, though--would have liked to see it in the sunlight!

warren0728
January 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
welcome diffra....were all the tones on the second clip from your variax....

diffra
January 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah they are. I have a bad habit of describing the 'models' used instead of clarifying that it's actually L6 rig.

luvmyshiner
January 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the Fret!

evenkeel
January 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the gang. :bravo: :beer:

Robert
January 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Welcome! In the end, we're all not that diffra... (bad joke?) :)

ted s
January 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Welcome Diffra !

mrmudcat
January 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
welcome!!!

tot_Ou_tard
January 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Welcome diffra!

Are your Grado cans these?

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earpad/grado-sr-60.php

These are great cans for rock.

sunvalleylaw
January 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Welcome Diffra! I have been to Kauai and enjoyed it very much! I love Portland too, and have spent some good times there. Welcome to the place!

just strum
January 16th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Welcome. It is so cold here that I decided I am going to visit new fretters for a face to face welcome - be there by Sunday.

murph
January 17th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the forum. I sure would love to be in Hawaii these last few days.

Murph

oldguy
January 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

Gil Janus
January 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Welcome aboard TheFret. We are always glad to have some more folks join the party.

Gil :cool:

diffra
January 18th, 2009, 01:23 PM
wow. Thanks for all the welcomes. It's rare to find a guitar forums not populated with 12 year olds bragging about the tone from their marshall valvestates(not that it's a bad thing, if that's your bag...)

I used to be a tube guy... even tore down a '67 bassman silverface and rewired it with the '59 circuit and a few mods, sounded like the ultimate plexi marshall through a custom built 2x12. My now-wife thought it was too loud for our apartment (and was probably right) so I sold it and my tele and went with the modeling rig.

Spudman
January 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
wow. Thanks for all the welcomes. It's rare to find a guitar forums not populated with 12 year olds bragging about the tone from their marshall valvestates(not that it's a bad thing, if that's your bag...)

Whaddaya mean? We're all twelve-somethings.:rockon:

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Welcome.

Yep, you won't find a more immature bunch than us. I mean that as it relates to our sense of humor.

Don't use big words and you will fit right in.

Brian Krashpad
January 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome Diffra!

That second song you posted reminded me a little of the Oz band the Church.