PDA

View Full Version : DiMarzio Pups and RSG Pots

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Well, I can't give you a technical review, but I can tell you that the difference in the Washburn with the mod is like night and day. There is the obvious P90 versus humbuckers, but the performance of the new parts is amazing. The Washburn is out performing the other guitars.

The pick ups I chose provide a very clean sound that is what I search for. Running the guitar through the RP350 and into the Valve Jr, it can take on any of the settings provided by the RP350 and sounds excellent in each (although many are not of my taste). I ran it through my custom settings and got the same results.

Response: the initial problem with tone and volume fixed, these pots are very sensitive and there is no need to move any the knobs very much to get a change in volume and/or tone. By far these are the most precise pots of the guitars I have, followed very closely by the Strat with SD pick ups.

Last night I was the only one up, so I had to do most of the playing at low volume or through headphones. Today I was able to crank it up and get a true feel for how it performs and all I can say is BEWITCHING (strike through the E and W).

Mudcat recommended the pick-ups and the pots and all I can say is the Mudman hit a grand slam.

I know, not much of a review, but just an expression of satisfaction.

mrmudcat
January 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Dont tell them how much the pots cost ;)

Not to mention the caps or you will be called cork sniffer!!!!:whatever:

Santa did help out on that,(got a nice pup also in trade p-90 Duncan) although he is slowing down with age,kids,,life....................:thwap:

Glad things are up and running.As stated the pots give you real nice tapers up or down :rockon:

These guys are southern hospitality at its best.Great guys and girls.One of the personel who has been there awhile lost a loved one recently and is selling a slew of modded guitars with wcr/rsguitarwork ,fralin rsguitarworks electronics ................they are on ebay under gibson.Anywho here is a link,mind you this stuff isnt for the weak hearted but it is gold!!!:rockon: (dont tell but I did get some of those luxe 60's repro caps for an sg:thwap: my angel would have my arse!! Hush CB;) :AOK: )

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=465165736f7c246394e7c5968832126f

street music
January 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hey MUdcat, my Godin has 500K pot in the volume and a single tone pot. I haven't identified what size the cap is, it has a 3 way switch. IT came with humbuckers but I have replaced them with GFS Dream 90s. I can get some great clean tones from it and it will distort pretty well. I'm wondering how it would change the tone if I changed the pots out to 250K and what cap I should use if I did?
I like the 60s-70s rock sound, I'm getting a fairly good vibe out of my Fender Princeton but I always look for improvements. Any suggestions?

mrmudcat
January 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I would stick with 500k pots.(full size cts or good set) .22 for cap.I have some dream 180's and run .22 jensen caps and 500k pots.I think the 250 pots would make your tone way to spikey /bright. My opinion though as there are lots of combos.:thwap:CTS POTS=$5-7 X 2, 1x.22 CAP rsguitarworks(really hovlands are $12.95!! You can find orange drops for $2-5 or cheaper for the real good ones:dude:

street music
January 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Mudcat, I respect your opinion highly. I'll check my cap maybe tomorrow. I'm just about to get everything close to what I want, my improvement in playing ability will help too. My settings on the amp is something that I'm learning about too as well as the Zoom pedal. PLaying guitar keeps my old mind working hard these days.

mrmudcat
January 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Im sure you will have a .22 ugly brown round ceramic cap.I am one of those capacitor cork sniffers:rotflmao: I go with what works and sounds good once bitten your off my list;)

Nice paper and oil(the rebranded russia stuff is pretty good) or some hovelands (wcr and rsgw both are rebranded hovs) Jensen is making some nice paper and oil also!

Kazz
January 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM
at least Muddy said Cork Sniffer....instead of Cork Soaker....or Morter Forker LMAO.

street music
January 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Mudcat what would be the big advantage of going to a more costly cap? I don't have a problem with changing it if it will make a notable difference, or is this like the pick thing? I mean I can hear a difference in change of picks and others seem to think it's no big deal??

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Yea its like that.Some claim there is no difference but they be wrong:master: Id only change the cap if your changing pots also A 2 pot kit should run ya under $30 and can bring even crap pups into good sounding or atleast better sounding;)

bigoldron
January 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Glad to hear that my former baby is sounding so good! I knew she had it in her, she just needed the right pickups. Rock on with her Strum! :D :AOK: :rockon: