PDA

View Full Version : Video of the Us Airways landing in Hudson river

Blaze
January 17th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Here s how the plane has been landing in the Hudson river ...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/17/coast.guard.crash.landing.coastguard

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Those clips and the incident itself are truly amazing and a miracle. That pilot performed an amazing landing and the ferry's that were in the area acted so quickly. Combine that with the way the crew and passengers reacted after the landing, that is going to be one of the major events that we will look back on as we move into 2010.

Robert
January 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I wonder why it didn't sink faster?

Andy
January 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
amazing job by the pilot he is a true hero, I wouldn't call it a "crash" landing tho. mabey splash landing.

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM

From what I've read, the fact that he brought it in tail down enabled the tail section to act as a break. That allowed everything to stay intact, or at least for the most part. The pilots angle of entry was so well done that it was able to stay afloat long enough for all to be rescued.

Had the tail been lower, the plane most likely would have split. If he went in nose first, the plane would have flipped and broken apart. The angle that he maintained bringing that plane in was truly a remarkable performance of piloting.

Robert
January 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Reminds of this remarkable event in Sweden in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Airlines_Flight_751

The plane's engines stopped, and the pilot chose to do an emergency landing in a opening in the forest. The plane hit the trees before touching down, losing a large part of the right wing. The plane broke into three parts before coming to a stop on the field. 25 people were injured, two of them seriously. Nobody died. The flight crew received a lot of praise for handling this event.

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM

You know I've been in the aerospace business for 26+ years and before I can figure out why something so big and heavy didn't sink, I have to figure out why something so big and heavy can fly.

just strum
January 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
MSNBC is having a special about the crash. There are parts in it that are pretty moving. One portion is about a father and son that get separated and neither knows if the other survived. They were picked up by separate boats and one went to NJ and the other to NY. Even though you know they both survived, it gets you emotionally. Well, it did me, but I'm a softy.

evenkeel
January 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
This is an amazing story. My father is a retired pilot (Navy fighter/TWA captain) and my brother is an active, commercial captain. No surprise I've had a few conversations with both about the event. One thing they both emphasized is, although clearly the captain did a great job, so did the rest of the crew. It took the efforts of both the captain and the co-pilot to get the plane down safely and the cabin crew did a great job of getting the people out. So huge kudo's to everyone in the crew.