PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Windsor Studio vs. VJr, Blackheart, Classic 30

marnold
January 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Seeing the other thread about the Windsor half-stack, I was wondering about the life expectancy of the Windsor Studio combo. If they start blowing those out too, it seems like it'd be a great deal. It seems to be able to get some good gain going. Do any of you amp guys know how they compare to the Valve Jr., Blackheart line, or even Peavey's own Classic 30? It's 20W, it's got an attenuator on it, and even an XLR-out.

oldguy
January 18th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Don't know about comparisons, but LC's had one for awhile now......

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=109421#post109421

marnold
January 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Heh. I even posted in that thread. Although here my main concern would be with construction quality. The reviews I've read on it seem to mirror LC's--that it really rips with a Celestion in it.

Duff49
January 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
MF, n/affl is selling the one hundred watt windsor half stack for 399. The same price as the studio and it is supposed to be an exact copy of a Marshall JCM circuit system with the same tone. That would be one outstanding half stack, closed back cab too.

I'd jump on that deal if I didn't just get a couple items. I got the Crate V50, which sounds really great and a Classic Vibe '50s that is incredible, I hand picked it at a local store and got price matching, real low action, fabulous playability all over the neck like on no guitar I have previously owned. I noticed that playability all over the neck right away. Quarter sawn neck as well, most beautiful neck of any of my guitars and some of mine have birdseye heavily on the neck and another has awesome awesome flammed maple on the entire neck and headstock.

I played a Windsor Studio and they wanted 399, I think I could have gotten it for 299 because it was a floor model that had been there a while, but it played so nice I couldn't believe it. I bought a Peavey Delta Blues from another place that is also a great great amp, but that Windsor Studio was also great. Fabulous rich tone and sustain, really smooth. I would not think it would be a good choice for a metal person but maybe it takes metal pedals well.

Evidently the new Peavey JSX is supposed to be a really really good metal amp. Probably no pedals needed there.

Peavey makes some great amps as well as guitars. I bought some of those telecaster type Peavey guitars and they are great, the pickups are made by Peavey and they sound especially good; but so does the Fender Texas Special 10.5kohm bridge pup I put in my walnut stain Squire Standard tele, super good and very quiet as well and it even blends in with the stock Squire neck pup very well in the middle switch position for a great tone. Got that bridge pup for 35 dollars after putting in a GFS Lil' Puncher I think it was, hot rail type humbucking single coil tele style bridge pup in a Fender tele for a friend. Also got a brand new Gator hard plastic/abs case for one of my LP's from him for 50 dollars. The guy was very appreciative. I didn't charge him to put in the pup. The Fender tele was in perfect condition even though he plays it all the time gigging and practicing, not a scratch on it. I had to be super careful not to scratch it. It was a gift from his girlfriend, now his wife and has great special value. Needlesstosay, I was very careful doing the job. He really likes the rails pup because he plays heavy metal and it's like
17kohms. He wants to keep the stock, probably Texas Special neck pup because he likes it for clean leads, etc., and says it mixes well in the middle position.

Anyway, the half stack Windsor 100 watt for the same price as the Studio sounds like a great deal. I don't think the half stack has the attenuator, but it has some other really awesome features that I can't remember.

You might want to check it out. That probably is a really cool amp.

Hope this helps someone.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

marnold
January 26th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Check the thread I started elsewhere about the Blackstar HT-5. TS808 tuned me into it and now I'd a wee bit *burp* GASsy.

kiteman
February 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I got the Windsor half stack. It sounds pretty good at bedroom level and a little bit more without blowing out my windows. Nice creamy tone.

I bought a MASS200 attenuator from Weber so I can use it on the Windsor. With a 3/4 turn on the power tubes and 1/3 turn on the preamp I got some really juicy tone from the amp. Turns out that the amp really turned out good.

I tried the MASS200 on my Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack and it worked pretty good on it. It's low wattage that I don't have much travel on the speaker volume knob.

All worked out pretty good.

Spudman
February 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
How is that Windsor without attenuation?

kiteman
February 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
How is that Windsor without attenuation?

Pretty good. Not a bad amp but the tone's so creamy that it's difficult to get some cleans out of it. It's that British tone.

When I used the MASS200 on it it kinda took that creaminess off a little and make it sound closer to normal (if that's a right word).

I jammed on it with the MASS on it and it was fun. I liked the amp better now.

TS808
February 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I can't comment on the Peavey, but the Blackheart Handsome Devil might be one of the more fun amps that I've played in quite a while. Even at 7 watts, the volume is not blistering loud, and through a 2x12 cab, it sounds pretty good.

I'd recommend giving it a good look...nice cleans, and you can get some moderate dirt out of it with single coils. Takes pedals well, and is affordable.

I assume though that you are going with the combo, and I'd also suggest checking out some of the youtube clips.