PDA

View Full Version : Locking nut breaks high E strings. . .

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hey y'all. When I got my Jackson a few years back I noticed this problem and didn't know how to fix it so I just stopped bending high E strings for 4 years and forgot about it.

Now that I realize bending high E's is actually important, it's happened again, and I remember the problem.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remedy this?

Cheers!

Dauntless
January 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Where are they breaking?

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Where are they breaking?

Sorry! I forgot to say - they are breaking right at the nut. There's no gap, it's right up to it.

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Check the nut and or the retainer(total3).Look for burs on the nut base and file/sand smooth.Same underneath the retainer.What size nut is it?? R-2,R-3?Maybe a new one is in order.Also some guits have the bar retainer that goes across the headstock to help the angle maybe this would help but it would take 2 minor holes on the headstock!

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Also what gauge and type strings.(not brand name) Pure nickel wrap ,coated ,alloy wraps.etc.etc.

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Also what gauge and type strings.(not brand name) Pure nickel wrap ,coated ,alloy wraps.etc.etc.

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice! I'll look into them as I change strings. . .

And the strings are .10's - on the pack it says 'nickelwounds' but an inspection of the back says 'nickel-plated steel' - I don't know if any of that makes a difference. . .

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
The nickel steel is in my opinion stronger although myself I love pure nickel classic vintage style.The bite on the steel is geared more traditionally towards heavier /metal areas in my opinion.So in theory the 10's and nickel coated steel should be in your favor string breakage wise.Check for burs on the nutt itself and that the retainer is smooth in the contact areas.Have you tried adjusting the trem/springs etc.? Maybe it isnt fully returning to position once hammering the whammy:poke:

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey try this leave the 3 retainers off meaning non locking nutt.See if the string breakage happens. Then give a good workout.We can go from there:beer:

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Have you tried adjusting the trem/springs etc.? Maybe it isnt fully returning to position once hammering the whammy:poke:

Yes, this is a problem I've known about for quite a while. The knife edges are dull - it returns to pitch from dives but not when I pull up on the whammy - it returns almost a tone sharp! :(

But I've made a habit only of pressing down on the trem for a couple years now. . . I've been wanting to sharpen the edges myself because getting it done by a luthier would cost a lot. . .

Would you have any advice in that area, whatsoever?

Cheers!

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Well depending on the trem maybe some good cleaning and surely adjusting it so it lays flat.Many links on the net for adjusting rose type bridges.Try some new springs and or adjust old ones.Make sure the knife edges on the trem are good .But of course this still is something causing breakage at the nutt.I would just bend and bend without the string retainers on see what happens string breakage wise.:beer:

Main source but there are others:AOK:

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Well depending on the trem maybe some good cleaning and surely adjusting it so it lays flat.Many links on the net for adjusting rose type bridges.Try some new springs and or adjust old ones.Make sure the knife edges on the trem are good .But of course this still has something causing breakage at the nutt.Iwould just bend and bend without the string retainers onsee what happens string breakage wise.:beer:

Main source but thee are others:AOK:

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

Hey cheers! My trem's set up and intonated quite regularly. The only other thing I'm gonna try before attempting to sharpen the knife edges is get new pivot studs. And while I get them, I'll look into some new springs, as well :beer:

Thanks!

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Keep us updated there are some real info hors on this sight ruled by the pimp with the big veins:rotflmao:

Seriously the techo-geeks are abound on this great place and are not snobs about sharing info if asked and treated respectfully. I wont name names but I feel like a 12 year old sometimes compared to them:thwap:

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Keep us updated there are some real info hors on this sight ruled by the pimp with the big veins:rotflmao:

Seriously the techo-geeks are abound on this great place and are not snobs about sharing info if asked and treated respectfully. I wont name names but I feel like a 12 year old sometimes compared to them:thwap:

I know exactly what you mean ;)

And, just a quick question - what are the difference in steel springs and traditional springs? Do they make any difference?

Cheers!

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
The steel will be stiffer and I like them better as far as lasting,and good returns after bends(whammies;) )