PDA

View Full Version : Weber speakers

samuelson
July 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
anyone have a recommendation for using weber speakers as opposed to celestion or eminence? specifically weber C1230 -55hz low hz cone. what types of sound are webers good for?:) :confused:

Bloozcat
July 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Ted Weber makes great speakers. They are generally made to tighter tolerances than the Eminence, although the new Patriot/Redcoat series of Eminence have really closed that gap.

The speaker that you asked about specifically - the 1230C-55 Silver Bell is Weber's equivilent of Celestion's original G12H30. The current production Celestion equivilent is the G12H30 Heritage...which is quite an expensive speaker (about $145.00 ea. if I remember correctly). They are not just good or great speakers...they're beautiful speakers.

As far as I know, Eminence has a G12H30 version in the Wizard, but it's not 55HZ. I don't recall a 55HZ Wizard.

The only Weber's I currently own are a pair of the older C12N's (12F50 by today's numbering). Mine are 25 watt ea., not 50 watt. They sound every bit as good as the old Jensen C12N to my ear...not quite the same, but with the same resonant qualities. They are heads above the Jensen re-issues.

BTW: For a reference point, the original Celestion G12H30-55HZ's were in many of the old Marshall cabinets from the 60's. The highly touted tone tone from that era came mostly from these speakers. Expect the Webers to deliver similar sound performance as the Celestions...although I wouldn't say they're the same.

kerc
July 11th, 2006, 12:12 PM
My Amptramp combo uses a single Weber 12F150. It has the vintage sound thing pat down, with excellent definition. My amp has a Fender Blackface-like circuit, and they're a perfect match.

Bloozcat
July 12th, 2006, 06:02 AM
My Amptramp combo uses a single Weber 12F150. It has the vintage sound thing pat down, with excellent definition. My amp has a Fender Blackface-like circuit, and they're a perfect match.

I think the 12F50's (C12N's) really do shine with Blackface circuits. I use mine in a semi-open back, 2X12 cabinet with my '65 Blackface Fender Band Master. I've tried several speaker combinations with that amp, and the Webers are definitely the best in that application. Since mine are the older 25 watt models, they do break up nicely with the 40 watt Band Master. I've got a pair of Mojotone MP12RHD, 30 watt Alnicos as well. They sound good, and have a nice old school Alnico tone that complements the Band Master well, but the Webers are still the ones that deliver that old Blackface era tone best.