PDA

View Full Version : 37 year old FENDER INTERNATIONAL SERIES

Morgan15
January 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
i just picked up an old fender international series in maui blue, cannot find information anywhere on them. beautiful guitar, maple neck ash body. does anyone know anything about these guitars? their rarity, value and some specs on them?

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 12:42 PM
i just picked up an old fender international series in maui blue, cannot find information anywhere on them. beautiful guitar, maple neck ash body. does anyone know anything about these guitars? their rarity, value and some specs on them?

Welcome to the forum. Hope you make your way over to The Fret Palyers section.

As for your guitar, do you have any more information - serial number?

Oh and pics, that would help too, it might give people a better idea of what you have . If not, just for our own satisfaction.

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think your off on years just my opinion.

The international series was a special color group produced in 1981 using parts form the 1978-1981 stratocasters. Fender created a special color group of seven colors for this series. They were Arctic White, Morocco Red, Maui Blue, Monaco Yellow, Capri Orange, Sahara Taupe, and Cathay Ebony. The stratocasters produced later in 1981 became known as the "Dan Smith Straocasters" and began adopting the 4 bolt neck joint. These were some of the last produced with the 3 bolt joint. The series did not continue into later years so with only 1981 production of these colors this is a very rare find.I would love to see pics and a serial number.Yes these are rare and worth $2000-3000 or more in fair good condition.Again this is just my humble opinion on this topic!;)

Gil Janus
January 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Here are a couple of photos of an International Color Series Strat in Monaco Blue - http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/base/81.html

Gil :cool:

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Some have the Antigua color(non japan ones) as part of the series also I know the years are right and I think ive seen a international series bass in that color,sienna burst also.This might of just been a few additional limited international colors for the p series bass not on the strats:thwap: ..........................hazy dayz of course so I could be wrong.:beer: :whatever:

Morgan15
January 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
there we go :) some ok pictures there, the serial no. is S960944 (you wont be able to tell that from the pictures :\) ive also noticed the majority of these guitars around are hardtails, this one isnt.. rarer? or is a hardtail rarer.

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know if this is accurate, maybe someone here can confirm.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

It's a nice looking guitar.

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
The s was supposed to be destined 70's prefix but late 70's early 80's there were using up parts therefore the overlapse in serial numbers. The E prefix was introduced in 1979 to denote the 80's models !!(this is loose on my info /opinion as there are odd numbers and overlaps) I say you have a fine axe you selling it??;)

S9+5 DIGITS=1981
E0+5=1981
E1+5=1981

You can remove the neck and a exact date might be hand stamped on the butt.YA know next string change;)

player
January 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Funny thing about Antigua. the one in my avatar is of that series 1966.Not that awful beige/white or whatever it is they call them now. The 335 idea that failed Fender back then.may we inquire if you have asked about this at the Fender forum?

markb
January 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Dating Fenders has always been an inexact science. This is due to the way Fender build guitars. Necks sit on the bench just out of reach and the workstation gets replenished with newer necks. Things were even worse when the serial number was on the neck plate.

Popping the neck off to check the neck and body dates will at least tell you exactly when those parts were made.

Iago
February 11th, 2009, 11:10 AM
there we go :) some ok pictures there, the serial no. is S960944 (you wont be able to tell that from the pictures :\) ive also noticed the majority of these guitars around are hardtails, this one isnt.. rarer? or is a hardtail rarer.

At least in the regular production strats, vibratos are more common than hartails, but despite hardtails being more rare, yours is more valuable (vibrato equipped Strats are preferential). Welcome to the Forum!

player
August 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Funny thing about Antigua. the one in my avatar is of that series 1966.Not that awful beige/white or whatever it is they call them now. The 335 idea that failed Fender back then.may we inquire if you have asked about this at the Fender forum?should no longer read my avatar but here http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/9404a961ff7df607.jpg
Rainbow Green 1967 first year out and here http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_StreamImage.jpg?t=1281292962 with hardshell case in Excellent condition,always take care of my guitars,always have.reason it looks like showroom new and still plays great,action,etc
where I am taking it has paid over $300,000 for pre 70 guitars and over $100,000 for Fenders they had quite a list of those they paid big $$ for,anything in or near the middle would work although know better than to set sights on anything.... who knows?
If I hear the right number looking at a Hagstrom swede Viking to replace it.we will see come next week.if I don't I do not have to sell,that's just an option when an offer is made just like any other roadshow.
I have the option to wait till they are even more scarce making it worth more than the 15 -25 k seen on a uk ebay site we'll see
but No have not gone to the Fender forum.last time there everything was low-balled even 57 strats seemed lower than what I have heard and seen em go for.no need to toss numbers out just say lower than the norm i've seen.
since though it has been asked at the Fender forum,no reply as of yet,supposed to let me know via email when replied to.update later if there is one from them.
only update is from the roadshow,no offers made just pictures taken saying they'll call with an offer once a buyer is found.seems they are into solid body guitars more so the waiting has begun.guitar was not the only thing taken but was the only thing actually looked at good.a lot of people were drooling though.