PDA

View Full Version : Epi LP mahogany varieties used.

Duff
January 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I found this interesting description, in plain words, having to do with Epiphone's/Gibson's use of mahogany. A lot of us know quite a bit about this subject but it appears that it would be difficult to determine exactly what type and grade of mahogany any single guitar would be made of. This is not commonly recorded on the consumer available build list. But the discussion is interesting and may have to do with the tonal variations some of us have commented about when we have A/B'd several of the exact same LPs or SGs.

Quote as answered by Stephen Lister on the Epiphone Forum:

Quote -

************ Ok, so Im getting an 08 epiphone les paul standard plain top..., does it have alder in it or is it solid mahogany?

One of the great answers:

************* Mahogany of some variety or another -- manufacturers do not want false advertising lawsuits -- and it is "solid" as in one agregate piece but it may have been multiple pieces bonded together.

Weight is the key. --- the Ultra is the only Epi LP that is chambered (as in weight relieved).
Someone above pointed out the various grades of mahogany. Cheaper grades weigh less as a rule b/c they are either lighter varieties or are younger (as in not "old growth") and less dense. Old LPs and Elitist LPs weigh more because they are made of the premium mahoganys.

My 2003 Elite is 5.6 kilos. I played two 2008 EE LPs recently and neither of them weighed 4.5k.
They were both fine -- not Elitist quality but good solid players -- but they did lack some of the great tonal depths and sustain of the heavier (better mahogany) LPs. That is your trade-off. Compare and then pick what works best for you.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on ***********

My Epi SG copy of a Gibson '66 SG sounds really great and a/b'd to several other sg's it came out way on top tonally with stock humbuckers which will stay in, at least for quite some time. You can see the mahogany wood clearly under the glossy transparent red finish.

I think on the transparent or mostly transparent finished guitars they probably have the common sense to use hand picked pieces of mahogany, possibly leading to better quality wood being used and even possibly a better tone; however, in my opinion quality of wood and quality of tone are unpredicable to a great extent and are deeply mysterious, even to wood and electronics experts: in that what might appear to a wood expert to be lower quality mahogany might actually sound better to that same person, equally so, in some cases to an electronics expert. There is some art involved here and some mystery, as well as some unpredictable but very strong interchanging dynamics where the many interacting variables that produce the end sound going out of the jack on the guitar all add and subtract from the electronic signal in special ways to yield a unique sound or set of possible tones or coloring of sets of tones.

I think one of the most artistic applications of electronics is the electric guitar. Way more artistic, in some cases, than predicted, and appreciated by listeners and players in a very wide range of perceptions. As played by an average player in any type of music.

Then of course comes the individual player and his/her influence on the instrument; which is a huge variable to consider and in some cases an incredible contributing variable to the electrical signal coming from the guitar jack. And the amp cannot be ignored. The amp, as we all know, has a major influence in the perceived sound of an electric guitar. The interaction between the player and the amp and the players knowledge and understanding of the amp can not be underestimated.

Although this post deals mainly with the varieties and grades of mahogany use by Epiphone and Gibson, it is astounding when you consider the amount of variables present in the chain beginning in the brain of the player and ending in the brain of the listener.

This has a lot to do with why tone is so subjective, so individualized in it's evaluation and appreciation by each of us.

I hope my post is found to be interesting with some readers. I am an amateur in all areas discussed but have some significant experience in appreciating music, understanding guitars, and speculating on what goes on in the heads of others ( in which I am mostly in error). The tone as heard and appreciated by the listener is probably the most complex, by far of the variables when trying to figure out how people like a certain tone or sound. But it is indisputable that huge numbers of people all over the world agree that they really like the tone of guitar players like Jimi Hendrix, the Beatle's guitar players, Lynnyrd Skynnrd guitar players, Marshall Tucker players, Stones players, Steve Winwood, Albert Collins, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Roy Buchannan, and so many others that are really appreciated for their sound by huge numbers of fans.

Plus, on any given day, our perception of our own tonal preference may be quite different from the day before. Ever notice when you are really feeling emotionally destroyed or off of center that certain songs are so specially impressive? I've had that happen many times to the point where I feel they are writing and playing that song about me. Know what I mean? It is complex and mysterious. And I'm glad it is even though I don't understand why.

Peace,

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

Enjoying today playing my brand new Squire '50s Classic Vibe Strat thru my Fender Super Champ XD and Peavey Delta Blues one fifteen.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010066.jpg