PDA

View Full Version : Church band

M29
January 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have been asked to play guitar with our Church worship group. I don't think I am good enough for that but a friend of mine that is giving up the position thinks I am. I see him use a capo frequently, which I have never used and I see a good number of suspended chords and augmented chords. I think I can pickup on the suspended chords with barre chords but some of the open chords other then standard chords will be tough right now. Any thoughts?

Also...My daughter has snatched my Washburn D10SCE to use with the youth group at the same time so I will have to use one of my electrics. I thought about my 335 style Jay Turser but I am stuck on an amp. I have a bad back and I need something fairly light to haul back and forth. My Valve Junior combo with a 12 inch speaker is pretty heavy for me.
My friend uses his acoustic into the board with a small amp for a stage monitor. It is an Ibanez with either an 8 or 10 inch speaker in it, it seems to work ok. I had thought about a Vox AD15VT or even a Fender Frontman 25R. Any suggestions on an amp to use as a monitor not to fill the whole sanctuary? I would like to keep it close to 100 dollas.

M

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/gotpm.gif

M29
January 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks Strum!

I guess this should be under another heading than beginners/newbies but I am pretty much a newbie that knows a few chords and what not and that is about it. I need some direction and thought I would help get this section going.

M

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Strum!

I guess this should be under another heading than beginners/newbies but I am pretty much a newbie that knows a few chords and what not and that is about it. I need some direction and thought I would help get this section going.

M

I think you are in the right spot. It's newbie to playing, performing...

It is not related to time with the forum. I will probably be spending a lot of time posting questions here myself and relying on the Rockets, Spuds, Tung, DVM, Wings, and on and on.....

and Robert, and Mark and....

tunghaichuan
January 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
One thing that occurred to me is to use a modeller, like the Digitech RP-150 for example. You can plug it right into the board and you wouldn't need an amp. They are very light, so you wouldn't have to lug a tube amp around. The 150 is about $100, and there are a couple more in that line for even less. There are other brands that you might like even better.

tung

player
January 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Almost bought one of these.now wish I had. they're not easy to find anymore.it is pretty light and does the job well.probably better than the Drive 30w I have less the reverb. http://www.guitartrader.com/!CBRnFn4ofNwxnWaeExKQ0A!/Behringer-GMX110-30Watt-Analog-Modeling-Guitar-Amp lots of effects with this

M29
January 18th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys. If I use a modeler I won't have the monitor. I suppose any stage monitor would work. I feel uneasy letting the sound guy control my sound especially starting out. I would kind of like to start out on the quiet side until I get more comfortable. I suppose the sound guy is going to end up setting my volume any way ya look at it.

Thanks Player, Man that Beringer looks pretty good! How is the quality on it? Have you played one?

Could someone help with capo basics? Is this used just to change the key?

Thank you for your time and help.

M

sunvalleylaw
January 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys. If I use a modeler I won't have the monitor.. . .

M

More or less. Here is some discussion:
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8847

player
January 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks Player, Man that Beringer looks pretty good! How is the quality on it? Have you played one
as a matter of fact I did at a GC in FL. the thing sounded awesome that's why I am still kicking myself.
you would not need a sound guy or stage amp with that little fella.

sorry don't use a capo but have a G7 one.Too my ear they can muddy the water/sound That's why they never interested me that much but will fool with what I have

Jimi75
January 19th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I have played some couple times in church throughout 2008. It's a chruch with approx. 300 seats. First I used my Takamine plus my Fender Champ 600 5W Tube amp. I figured this was too loud. I accompanied the squier together with a piano player. As the main work came from the squier it was absolutely sufficient to playx chords only and so I played on wihtout the amp strumming loud enough. I think it sounded good, at least nobody complained :rotflmao:

tunghaichuan
January 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys. If I use a modeler I won't have the monitor. I suppose any stage monitor would work. I feel uneasy letting the sound guy control my sound especially starting out. I would kind of like to start out on the quiet side until I get more comfortable. I suppose the sound guy is going to end up setting my volume any way ya look at it.

M

I thought about that this morning as I was getting up. The Behringer is a good suggestion. I'd also encourage you to take a look at the Roland Micro Cube (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=594&ParentId=57). It's about $125 at music stores or on the 'Net. You might find a used on on Craigslist for less. I thought it sounded very good despite its small speaker. It has a rec out/phones jack so you can plug directly into the board. You can use the amp to monitor yourself.

tung

markb
January 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
And the VOX DA5. It has a slightly bigger speaker and a bit more power (the Microcube is a bit farty in the bass) but also a handy attenuator switch for quick volume adjustment without moving the knobs. I call it my "shoebox full o' tone". I may trademark that :)

M29
January 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys.

I am going to try out the Roland and Vox. I have wanted a Vox DA 5 for a long time but I was unsure if it would have enough volume for a stage monitor. In a church setting it may be fine and if it is I might get one. I have heard good reviews on both. I really like the light weight and portability of the DA5 and Roland but if that small speaker won't do it I will have to get something else.

Thanks again all.

Childbride
January 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM

M

when shiner and i started work on 'joey', some months back, we initially started in the exact key it was performed.

when i tried to hit napolitano's upper range in the song, i failed. i just don't have the upper register yet. i can sing there, but i can't belt there.

so we started capo'ing it down the fretboard, one fret at a time, until i could drop it into something i could sing.

i ended up sounding a bit like a female barry white, but we did it.

player
January 20th, 2009, 12:55 AM
when shiner and i started work on 'joey', some months back, we initially started in the exact key it was performed.

when i tried to hit napolitano's upper range in the song, i failed. i just don't have the upper register yet. i can sing there, but i can't belt there.

so we started capo'ing it down the fretboard, one fret at a time, until i could drop it into something i could sing.

i ended up sounding a bit like a female barry white, but we did it.
And a fine job you two did too with it I liked it.Good job K
nice playing too there shiner