PDA

View Full Version : Advice for eBay selling

marnold
January 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
OK, this is all hypothetical at this point, but I'd like to ask you eBayers for some advice. I've bought stuff on eBay, but never sold. If I'd want to sell my Fender and I'd want to get $400 for it (don't know if that's possible, but stay with me here), how would I list it? Would I want to set a reserve price at $400? I know that if I don't set a reserve or anything I'm obligated to sell it at whatever it goes for. Thoughts?

just strum
January 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
OK, this is all hypothetical at this point, but I'd like to ask you eBayers for some advice. I've bought stuff on eBay, but never sold. If I'd want to sell my Fender and I'd want to get $400 for it (don't know if that's possible, but stay with me here), how would I list it? Would I want to set a reserve price at $400? I know that if I don't set a reserve or anything I'm obligated to sell it at whatever it goes for. Thoughts?

set it at the lowest you would accept.

you could do it this way

"Buy it Now: $400

your reserve (obviously hidden) $335

mrmudcat
January 18th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Put a BIN for $450- $500
And a best offers underneath:beer:

Fixed Price
You list your items at a set price, so buyers can purchase immediately (no bidding).

You may also include the Best Offer option in your Fixed Price listings. This enables you to consider offers from buyers who will name their best price.

Quantity: Offer one or multiple items for sale at the Buy It Now price anytime during the listing.

Where: Your listing appears in the eBay category (or categories) you choose and in search results.
3, 5, 7, 10, or 30 days, or Good 'Til Cancelled.

Note: Good 'Til Cancelled renews automatically every 30 days until the item sells or you end the listing. Insertion fees charged every 30 day period.
Insertion Fee to list

Final Value Fee charged

See fees for more information

tjcurtin1
January 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I don't know - the hidden reserve has always bugged me - if someone has a minimum, I'd just as soon know up front and then if I still am interested, I'll bid. Maybe I'm missing some kind of psychology there... When I've really had a bottom line price I want, I've always just set the initial bid at that price, or close to it. In that case, I've often found that you don't get bids till late in the process, so it can be a bit nerve wracking, but if that's your lowest price, you'll see if someone is willing to pay it. You can always re-list if it doesn't go.

As suggested by Mudcat, you can also set a Buy it Now price at a few bucks higher than your starting bid, too.

WackyT
January 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I think it's better to set a starting price rather than set a reserve. That's what I did when I sold the Daytona 500 tickets I had on eBay.

Robert
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Set the starting price to $400 and maybe a BIN price at $425?

duhvoodooman
January 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Set the starting price to $400 and maybe a BIN price at $425?
That's pretty much what I did with that Nashville Tele I sold recently. Set a $400 reserve (minumum I'd accept) and a Buy It Now price of $450. Ended up getting $410. The BIN disappears when the reserve price is met, unless you set it up as a BIN-only auction (in which case, there's no separate reserve).

Kazz
January 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Matt,

If you are wanting to make sure you pocket $400....then you have to make sure you cover Ebay and Paypal Fees. If it sells for $400 then your ebay fees (listing and final value) will come to about $30...so you are down to $370 and then about $25 for paypal...so you are down to $355

In other words...if you want to net $400.....sell it for about $450-$500

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM
have you considered craig's list? free listing and no fees....

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I like the eBay fee calculator - http://ebcalc.com/

hubberjub
January 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Craigslist isn't a bad idea. I never use reserve prices when I sell on Ebay and I refuse to bid on anything that has a reserve price. It's a waste of the buyer's time. I don't see anything wrong with setting your minimum bid at the least amount you would accept. As was already stated, be aware of the fees you will pay.

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
have you considered craig's list? free listing and no fees....
Just one thing to be careful of on Craig's List--scammers. I tried listing my Nashville Telecaster on the Albany NY area Craig's List, and I got response after response from scammers. These clowns all have the same line--they're always from out of town, generally claim to be traveling on business or on vacation, but really want the item s-o-o-o badly. They will pay you (often more than your asking price, for your "trouble") with a money order and arrange to have the item picked up by a shipper as soon as you've received & cashed the MO. If you fall for this, the guitar gets shipped to some generic receiving location, and a week or two later, your bank gets notified that the MO was a fake, and debits your account accordingly. Voila! No guitar, no money, and no chance of recovering either. So if you go with Craig's List, insist on a face-to-face, cash transaction. This will eliminate 99% of the scams.

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM
So if you go with Craig's List, insist on a face-to-face, cash transaction. This will eliminate 99% of the scams.

absolutely....and that's what i like about craig's list....local transactions....no shipping....

marnold
January 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I'm beginning to get the feeling that this just isn't going to be worth the effort.

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm beginning to get the feeling that this just isn't going to be worth the effort.
list it on craig's list and see what happens....i got my super champ xd and my prs on craig's list....

marnold
January 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
list it on craig's list and see what happens....i got my super champ xd and my prs on craig's list....
My only issue with Craig's List is that I live in a tiny town. Green Bay is 1/2 hour away. I guess I wouldn't have anything to lose.

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
My only issue with Craig's List is that I live in a tiny town. Green Bay is 1/2 hour away. I guess I wouldn't have anything to lose.
exactly....and you could arrange to meet half way if someone is interested....only 15 minutes for both....

bigoldron
January 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Never had any experience with craig'slist, so I can't comment, but mrmudcat and Robert both offer good advice. Set a BIN price at a higher, but not unrealistic, level and set your starting price at the minimum you'd take. I, like others, despise a "reserve price". I refuse to bid on something with a reserve, unless it's something I really like and I'll play around to see what it'd take (usually, I'm low-balling just to "test the waters".)

Kazz is right though, between eBay's and Paypal's fees, you'll lose a chunk of change, so set your starting price accordingly. If you're flexible with your minimum price, you might want to try the "make an offer" mentioned by mrmudcat.

Good luck to you!

hagarfreak33
January 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I usually just set it as buy it now with no auction-that's the price I'm selling it for-