PDA

View Full Version : Solo help.

Squireman131
January 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
im learning a solo from a coheed and cambria song. well pretty much the whole song is a solo. But i got the first 1/4 of it done and i seem to have hit a road block. i feel that for the bends in it i either bend too little or too much.

heres the actual song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf90wjabKi0

so far ive gotten up to about 2:59

heres the tabs ive been using:

http://www.cobaltandcalcium.com/files/tabs/gaibsivtxt/guitar/15-the_willing_well_iv_the_final_cut.txt

thearabianmage
January 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
There are quite a lot of bends in that solo! I would recommend practicing a little exercise in bending: fret the destination note and then immediately bend the string to reach that note (i.e. fret 9 on the g string then immediately bend 7 to 9) do this over and over again and your intonation should get sorted out.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Jimi75
January 19th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Amage's advice is the best way to attempt bending issues. Please also make sure with which finger you bend. Further to that if you bend with your ring finger you can support the bend with your middle and index finger. Once you have overcome this obstacle you can call yourself proud owner of a clean and sober bending technique. Sometimes it takes years to be able to play a song, because certain techniques can't be learned on the fly. I once bought the Passion And Warfare tab book by Steve Vai. I was only able to play parts of some songs and it took approx. 3-4 years until I picked up the book again and only then I could go on. Don't stress yourself, the first 2:59 minutes you can play are already good stuff.

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I once bought the Passion And Warfare tab book by Steve Vai. I was only able to play parts of some songs and it took approx. 3-4 years until I picked up the book again and only then I could go on.

I've got that book, too. But it's been 3-4 years since I've picked it up. . . maybe it's time for another go :D

Jimi75
January 19th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I've got that book, too. But it's been 3-4 years since I've picked it up. . . maybe it's time for another go :D

Try it, you will be surprised how much you will be able to play of that stuff. I always left the super crazy stuff out...

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Try it, you will be surprised how much you will be able to play of that stuff. I always left the super crazy stuff out...

I remember one reason putting it down was because I didn't, and still don't, have a 7-string. Another reason being that some things just don't sound right with only one guitar. But I was able to learn 'The Animal' which was fun!

Squireman131
January 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
thanks alot guys ive been doing that exercise and now i can hit the bends in it alot more. i got about to 3:20 mark today. hopefully ill be able to somewhat play the whole thing by the end of the week. im hoping to play it at this years talent show.

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 11:26 PM
thanks alot guys ive been doing that exercise and now i can hit the bends in it alot more. i got about to 3:20 mark today. hopefully ill be able to somewhat play the whole thing by the end of the week. im hoping to play it at this years talent show.

Hey, that's excellent! And good luck! :D