PDA

View Full Version : My band and attire question

pressthe6
January 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Just for Ss and Gs I started a garage band. Check it out....
http://facelesstherapy.com/

we all chipped in and got some shirts made for the hell of it. Here's my question: Is it lame to wear your own band's shirt while playing a gig? Especially your first "real" gig. Especially if it's an open mic set? I say yes, my drummer says no.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 12:57 PM
All this concern about the t-shirts, but no controversy about the hats? :D

Rocket
January 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Is it lame to wear your own band's shirt while playing a gig?
Quite lame!
Actually, I think most shameless self-promotion is quite lame.

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Quite lame!

What are your thoughts on shameful self-promotion?

pressthe6
January 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Quite lame!

wearing your own shirt I agree, I'll have my Zep runes shirt on, but you really have a problem with people promoting themselves? actors doing press junkets? musicians doing interviews before a new release? authors on book tours?:confused:

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Have no shame - promote yourselves all you can! Who knows what tomorrow will bring - promote yourself today! ;)

After the show, just tear the shirt off your body and throw into the audience!
:D :bravo:

pressthe6
January 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
After the show, just tear the shirt off your body and throw into the audience!
:D :bravo:

Dude, have you seen the vids on our website? I barely take off my shirt in the shower. LOL

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Dude, have you seen the vids on our website? I barely take off my shirt in the shower. LOL

There's always a first for everything.
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

birv2
January 19th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'm agreeing with tot here -- what's with the hats? Sort of makes the t-shirts irrelevant. With those hats, I don't think people would notice whether you were wearing shirts or not.
:bravo:

But I agree that it's good to promote yourself. Take a lesson from Bret -- pimp your stuff at every opportunity. And throwing the t-shirt into the crowd sounds like a good idea. Everyone loves free t-shirts.

Bob

pressthe6
January 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm agreeing with tot here -- what's with the hats? Sort of makes the t-shirts irrelevant. With those hats, I don't think people would notice whether you were wearing shirts or not.
:bravo:
Bob

OK, I'll give the honest answer behind the hat. It was originally part of my "pimp daddy" Halloween costume. when we formed the band (a very tongue in cheek band which I never thought would play live) my drummer put that picture up on myspace. after that it was a snowball effect, for better or worse, that makes me at least start gigs with it.

the bassist just followed suit I guess. don't worry, he has a nice grey fedora type hat to unveil tonight.

How come nobody asks Slash the same question, huh? Oh wait, never mind. :AOK:

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
i think wearing band t-shirts would be kinda dorky....i don't play in a band but if i went to watch a band and they were all wearing matching band t-shirts i would think....wtf?

oh and lose the hat.... :poke:

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I think the hat would be good if you got a matching fuzzy purple coat to go with it - and that could cover up the band-shirts :D

And you could use your guitar as a cane, too!

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I think the hat would be good if you got a matching fuzzy purple coat to go with it - and that could cover up the band-shirts :D

:AOK:The Fret now has an official fashion consultant. :AOK:

Now what would you do with Robert's video wardrobe? :D

marnold
January 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Pimpin' ain't easy.

thearabianmage
January 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
:AOK:The Fret now has an official fashion consultant. :AOK:

Now what would you do with Robert's video wardrobe? :D

I'm no fashion consultant - I'm an 'Image Consultant.'

And I would tell Robert to hide that wardrobe behind his new guitar ;)

Pimpin' ain't easy.

It ain't easy - unless you is Born 2 Pimp. Word. :D

pressthe6
January 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
the gig went great. the hat got rave reviews. the vid will be posted on the website (see initial post) hopefully by the end of the week if'n you're curious.

nobody 'cept fans wore the shirts....

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I was gonna say something about the hats, but I got to looking on your MySpace page, and I get it now, especially with the music you selected. I think Jack White would approve.;) :AOK:

I say just be yourself and be comfortable. I don't think it matters either way if you wear the band's shirt or not, especially if the fans are wearing them!

Even metal bands (with the exception of ones like Judas Priest) are just going on in T-Shirts and jeans these days.