PDA

View Full Version : How did you improve in 2008?

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Curious minds demand to know.... :D

I don't know if I improved... but if I did, it's because of getting my Suhr fix. That guitar makes all warm and fuzzy inside, every time I pick it up.
:dude:
:rockon:
:AOK:

Jimi75
January 19th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats again on your Suhr Rob, hopefully my nu amph will help me improving, too. What happened in 2008 for me was I was able to slow down and put more patience in learning licks. Furthermore I have re-learnd some stuff, like for e.g. some SRV and Hendrix licks. By relearning I mean I have learned them more detailled. I also improved in playing outside the box through your licks Robert. I have studied some of your chromatic licks and integrated then in my play - remember the steal licks from good players theory? I did so :-) Then I once asked you about a scale you played and you told me it was the wholetone/halftone/diminished something scale. I have learned to play exotic sounding licks, although I am still not able to play them automatically from the heart, I feel that I am only steps away from "feeling" these licks naturally to be my licks! A big change was my equipment change. I was more courageous than ever and sold a ton of stuff. I think my new equipment opens a lot of doors. My phrasing improved, because I listen more to other players and don't start jamming straight away. In 2008 I have finished the metal project, founded the new and great working blues band and have played the music for two tv trailers, currently I am writing a child musical whcih I already started in 2008, so I guess my work organization for all musical stuff and my songwriting improved. :dude:

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Stealing from good players - can't be stealing from me then! :D

What you said was interesting though. Listening is a task many guitar player skimp on. It is soooo important. Many of us just want to plug in and rip it up, but that's not always the best idea...

I'll be happy to share more outside licks in 2009, if anyone is interested. I really need to make some videos with the diminished, melodic minor and altered scales. Those rokk.

Jimi75
January 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Stealing from good players - can't be stealing from me then! :D

I'll be happy to share more outside licks in 2009, if anyone is interested. I really need to make some videos with the diminished, melodic minor and altered scale. Those rokk.

Understatement is one of your great qualities Robert! Videos of that scale would definitely rock. They would really help me, as I listen closely to all of your stuff and learn a lot from your licks.
Listening is the key to improve!

markb
January 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Did you buy a Suhr, Robert? I must have missed that :D

I've had a year of trading effects only to realise (again) that I'm just not much of an effects user. See below for what works for me. This rig gets me six usable tones with judicious use of the guitar volume and the amp's boost to balance the levels and is a single carry from the car. Apart from that it's just a question of getting out and playing. Oh, and I rediscovered my strat. That's been good :AOK:

street music
January 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I have spent more time working on changing chords, picking without looking at my fingers or strings, and watched a lot of free lessons on the net. I know that my being on The Fret has helped me greatly just by the information shared and on line friends. The member clips are inspiring, the songs that Shiner & CB have completed mean so much , as do all the videos Rob and MarkB have posted. My speed has picked up, my knowledge of amp settings has improved and my committment to learn more about playing has grown.
Thanks to all for 08.

marnold
January 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well, from my "In My Dreams" solo project, my speed has definitely improved, at least when it comes to playing dexterity exercises. Actually, I know that my left-right hand coordination has improved. Of course, it had (and still has) a long way to go.

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I have had some setbacks this year .09 will be harder still with all thats going on with moving and rehabbing my arm.One thing is im off the meds!! (pure evil)

I am hoping by xmas to be on track,hopefully with a studio in house.

R_of_G
January 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I've gotten a lot better at being able to pick out melody lines to songs. It's been fun trying to figure out how to play a lot of the children's songs my wife sings to Ella. Once I learn the melody I can figure out the chords and then I can begin to assemble my own versions of these songs. That has been most rewarding.

I also began to develop two original pieces that I intend to continue fleshing out in the months to come. They are my two first original compositions. One is for my wife, the other for my daughter. I hope to work much more on them in 2009 and record them. I will be sure to post them here when I do so I can get from feedback from all of you.

evenkeel
January 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Have expanded the list of tunes done in alternate/open tunings.

Improved (marginally so but I'll take it) my confidence level playing in front of a crowd. I continue to do the open mic thing with varying levels of competence. Last week was a mess, but I'm going for another go on thursday.

Like R_of_G have entered the realm of songwriting. I have played four originals at the above noted open mic nights. One other is close to ready and I have a few more in the idea stage.

Rocket
January 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM
One thing is im off the meds!!
BRAVO bro!

Childbride
January 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
people learn in unique ways...

and need teachers/options to fit that uniqueness.

i found mine. and he started to unlock the da Vinci code of the guitar for me. i started also personally studying theory on my own, in addition to what my new teacher is providing.

thank you, Street; what you said was very kind. we plan to share more music this year. i have one that i'm working on right now. :)

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
BRAVO bro!

Thank you brother ,that means alot!! :beer: 240-300MG of oxycontin a day was a joke and a biatch to D.T. cold turkey from(about 25 days now but whos counting im done:bravo: ):whatever:

It had to be done if im ever going to stop the self made pity party and cowboy up and create again:dude:

If arm fails, ill still be able to lap steel on my supros:AOK:

Robert if this post falls into the rules violations ill surely edit it:thwap:

TS808
January 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Excellent thread. I don't know if I've improved much but I did a few things differently this year.

For one, I took guitar lessons again, and my teacher turned out to be a "jamming" friend more so than a teacher, so we were getting together for a while and doing some playing. He's trained in jazz and theory so it posed a bit of a challenge. Also, I started using backing tracks to jam to which really made me focus outside my comfort zone a bit.

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
2008 was a good year for me. I learned how to fix guitars, make them, solder them up with rad mods, and purdy 'em up and what-not.

Playing-wise, well, I've learned a lot at the Institute thus far (back to school tomorrow!) and it's really hard to pick chose from them, but I'd say one would be the fluent use of microtonal bends in blues, and another would be a more solid awareness of my picking in 'real time'.

My main goal for '09 is to learn more relationships between scales/modes and chords so I can improv competently over jazz progressions. That, and to get better at singing :D

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Oh, and I rediscovered my strat. That's been good :AOK:

As it will be when you rediscover your tele.

luvmyshiner
January 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Good for you Muddy. Just remember you have a lot of friends pulling for you.

Childbride
January 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM

+ 1... million... :)

bigoldron
January 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Keep up the good work Muddy! We're all pulling for you!

evenkeel
January 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM

Exactly!!!

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Back on topic please:saw: .........................:spank:

Thanks ya'll!!:beer:

peachhead
January 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Well, I bought my first guitar in 08, and when I bought it I knew squat. So, it's all been improvement from there. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing well, other times I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing; but overall I guess I'm pleased with what I can do now vs. what I could do that first time out.

And I discovered this place, and cultivated my GAS. That's gotta be worth something.

Oh and Muddy, looking forward to gettin' ya back home, bro, and hanging out with you and Ron one of these days. :D

sunvalleylaw
January 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM
My bends got better, I learned sliding into notes, developed a little bit of a vibrato, and learned a lot of theory, and some of the fretboard better. Also learned a lot more chord shapes.

Now putting it all together to create interesting phrases, leads, etc. is still an issue, but the pieces are starting to come.

Spudman
January 20th, 2009, 12:00 AM
How did you improve in 2008?

Well, I became less tolerant of players that really aren't committed and don't endeavor to play their way out of the wet paper bag they are stuck in. So I guess I improved by upping my standards. Of course now I can't find anyone to play with.:cry:

Kazz
January 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Count me as one who is pulling for you too Muddy. I am continuing the fight myself. The back is worse than ever but I have changed doctors again, and have a procedure scheduled on Friday that is supposed to block the majority of the pain for months at a time. Finally got tired of doctors throwing shots at a dart board and pills like candy.

I know you have the will to stay away from the Oxycontin....from what I hear that stuff is as you say...pure evil. From experience, Darvocet and Lortab are not any better.

Andy
January 20th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My guitar improvement was major this past year.

Just spending time playing and practicing, I worked so many long hard hours over the last 6 years that I essentially put the guitars away, the job dictated my lifestlye(work ,travel,home chores,eat,sleep).I think my "average" work week the last 6 years was in the neighborhood of 60+ hr.I'm sure some here can relate that puts a major crimp in the guitar playing time.

last summer,I quit the job and dusted off the guitars,lifes too short. it's been a strain on the budget,I'm semi self employed and times are tough, but I'm not complaining. guitar has been a great stress relief for me.

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Pulling for you, muddy, and Kazz. Quick and full recoveries.

I didn't improve at all on guitar this year. I did, however, become much more aware of the relationship between guitar and amph, and have been trying to take advantage of both, without the use of effects, other than onboard reverb. In other words, I've spent a lot of time turning knobs.:D

It's been a cool experience.

hubberjub
January 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've spending the last year learning things that I skipped over when I was younger. I have been focusing on my picking technique. It's easy to overlook. I also started practicing with a metronome 100% of the time (maybe 95%). For 2009 I have already contacted a few teachers. I hope to get back into taking lessons. I took rock lessons while in high school and classical and jazz lessons in college. I want to get back into a routine that allows me to progress.

Jimi75
January 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM
last summer,I quit the job and dusted off the guitars,lifes too short.

Well said! RESPECT! :master:

cherokee747
January 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM
The best thing I'm able to do now is get up and down the neck when soloing.I really enjoy that breakthrough. Solos now come alive and have so much more dimension. I see the neck better than ever. Muddy- Mojo sent! Mike