PDA

View Full Version : New Squier Bullet.... nice but, problems with frets!!

blingdogg
January 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
So I bought a Squier Bullet a week or so ago. I got it to upgrade the parts, and get a nice-playing and sounding Strat for cheap. I'm going to be switching out the tuners, nut, bridge and pickups over this year.

So here's the point of this thread:

It plays nice and everything, but whenever I do vibratos or bends, the strings seem to rub against the frets too much; there's some resistance so that the strings don't slide smoothly enough. I played around with the action, but no matter how much I adjust it, the strings still roughly rub against the frets.

What should I do? I know it's a low-priced (ie. cheap) guitar, but I think there should be a way to remedy this.

markb
January 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hello, Blingdogg! The frets haven't received a final polish, often the case with cheaper instruments. Playing will do it but a proper fret polish will do it faster and better.

Screaming Dave
January 19th, 2009, 02:31 PM
If you're feeling brave, you can polish the fret yourself. You'll have to use masking tape to protect the fretboard. make sure the tape is right up against each fret, then use fine wire wool to polish the frets. If it's a rosewood neck it's a good idea to rub in a bit of lemon oil into the fingerboard when you're done polishing and have removed the masking tape.

kiteman
January 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I don't know if you're equipped to do it but this what I do with my guitars especially the cheap ones. You'll need a stone and a crowning tool to do it, I bought the stuff at stewmac and it's a good investment.

I'd make the fretboard flat and use a diamond dusted steel plate knife sharpening stone, you can get 'em cheap like at walmart, mine's a 3 inch. Level the frets with the stone and then crown 'em.

Every guitar I did ended up with a close action smooth playing guitar. :)

markb
January 19th, 2009, 09:04 PM
If you're feeling brave, you can polish the fret yourself. You'll have to use masking tape to protect the fretboard. make sure the tape is right up against each fret, then use fine wire wool to polish the frets. If it's a rosewood neck it's a good idea to rub in a bit of lemon oil into the fingerboard when you're done polishing and have removed the masking tape.

If you do this with the neck attached, tape over the pickups. The magnets will attract bits of steel wool which will eventually short out the windings. Otherwise it's a simple job. Steel wool can also be used for taking the tackiness off the finish on the back of neck. Use the finest grade for this and be gentle.

blingdogg
January 20th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys, I'll polish the frets. This is what I thought was the problem, I just wanted some more opinions first.

I'm going to try this out, never did it before, but that was the point of buying this Bullet: to practice guitar work and mods.

It shouldn't be too hard. Thanks!

Andy
January 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM
scotchbrite pads will avoid the metal residue , I comes in several different grades. I know atleast Gibson uses it for their final polishing.