PDA

View Full Version : Hi From The Old Country

Screaming Dave
January 19th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi, Guys!

Screaming Dave, here, signing in from Andover in Hampshire, UK. I'm a guitarist who's way too old to be as bad as I am. I like Blues, rock and old soul: the Stax stuff from when Booker T and the MGs were the house band. I have simple tastes in gear: Gibson SG into a valve Marshall combo with a few analogue effects in between. I'm a recovering GAS victim: still on the wagon, but taking each day as it comes. I haven't bought anything for over a year now and am even managing to sell some stuff!

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Screaming Dave B-)

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Welcome from the new country! We are bad for recovering GAS junkies, but we are all in the same boat.

Thanks for boarding the GAS boat! Ship O'Hoy!

duhvoodooman
January 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm a guitarist who's way too old to be as bad as I am.
A lot of that going on around here, me included! Welcome to The Fret, Dave--glad to have you with us!

warren0728
January 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
welcome to thefret dave....hang around here long enough and you'll be falling of the gas wagon.... :pancake:

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Love that old STAX/Volt stuff.

Welcome!

Screaming Dave
January 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Thought I'd be in deep GAS trouble in April as I'm coming over there to drive Route 66 with a bunch of buddies, but now the pound isn't worth the paper it's printed on any more, I won't be able to afford to buy anything over there anyway. I'm gonna have to re-mortgage my house to afford the beer! :cry:

Robert
January 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Good to see UK players join in here. We need to have a balance with us North-American hogs! ;)

markb
January 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hi, Dave!

evenkeel
January 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hey,
Welcome to the fret. :bravo: :beer:

Yeah, love that old Stax/Volt stuff. Amongst the cd collection is a box set , "the Complete Singles". Great stuff. :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 19th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hey,
Welcome to the fret. :bravo: :beer:

Yeah, love that old Stax/Volt stuff. Amongst the cd collection is a box set , "the Complete Singles". Great stuff. :AOK:
Is it this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Stax-Volt-Singles-1959-1968/dp/B000002IQU

It's the one that I have.

I got it when it first came out for less than half the price listed on Amazon.

Geraint Jones
January 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hello Dave , I share a similar affliction for no frills guitar playing , as well as a love for the sound of Steve Cropper . I think I`ve got that box set as well stuck on my ipod .

mrmudcat
January 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome!!!

Blaze
January 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Welcome & Bienvennue Dave ,guys here are GAS Junkies lookin for the Holy Grail..

Gibson & Marshall sounds good to me ...

Blazes:AOK:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_3683497498badaf80.jpg

luvmyshiner
January 19th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna have to re-mortgage my house to afford the beer! :cry:

I admire a man who knows what's important and is willing to make the sacrifice.:cry: Welcome to the fret my new friend.:beer:

sunvalleylaw
January 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Welcome!

WackyT
January 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome aboard, Dave. I got to spend 3 years with the U.S. Air Force in your wonderful country up in Lakenheath, Suffolk area.

ted s
January 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hey Screaming Dave ! Welcome To The Fret !

thearabianmage
January 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hey, welcome to The Fret! T'is a good site for all guitarists - GAS junkies or not. . . :D

Gil Janus
January 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Welcome aboard TheFret. It sounds like you will fit right in here. We are a GAS powered site, so that might make your life difficult. :thwap:

Gil :cool:

Katastrophe
January 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Welcome!

GAS hits hard around here. Two guitars and an amph purchased in a relatively short time span.

I like your gear selection and musical tastes. Post often, and enjoy!

Brian Krashpad
January 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Welcome Dave! There's a few others from Blighty here, always good to round out the larger North American contingent.

Screaming Dave
January 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks againor your warm welcome, everyone!

regarding GAS, I actually just SOLD a guitar. Since becoming a Gibson man I've hardly played my Strat, so I'm afraid she had to go. Still, I have a bit of cash to spend now ............ :)

Brian Krashpad
January 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks againor your warm welcome, everyone!

regarding GAS, I actually just SOLD a guitar. Since becoming a Gibson man I've hardly played my Strat, so I'm afraid she had to go. Still, I have a bit of cash to spend now ............ :)

I went through a Strat phase in the early '90's where a Strat was my main guitar, but have since moved on to Teles and LPs instead. Still, what I do is try to pick up some cheap Strat of some kind to be able to have access to those sounds. Previously I had a '90's MIM Fender Strat, but sold that to a kid from my church who was looking for a decent electric. Went Stratless for awhile and a year or two ago replaced it with a '90's Peavey USA Predator (which is very similar, though I find it slightly superior due to bigger frets and a 22nd fret versus 21 on the Fender).

peachhead
January 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
I admire a man who knows what's important and is willing to make the sacrifice.:cry: Welcome to the fret my new friend.:beer:

:rotflmao:

Welcome Dave!!

Screaming Dave
January 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
My Strat was my main squeeze for about 8 years, but then I bought a Gibson SG Standard on a whim, and ended up buying a second one as my backup. Then I decided I needed another guitar to get a different sound, so I got an SG Junior, with just a single P90! :)

Brian Krashpad
January 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
My Strat was my main squeeze for about 8 years, but then I bought a Gibson SG Standard on a whim, and ended up buying a second one as my backup. Then I decided I needed another guitar to get a different sound, so I got an SG Junior, with just a single P90! :)

Sounds cool. There's a batch of people into P-90's here, including me. Have never had an SG or LP Junior though, all mine have been 2-pickup models.

I had an Epiphone SG (G400) for a short time, but subsequently bought a very inexpensive SG Special (P-90's) MIK knockoff (the brand is "Agile," you'll probably read about them here if you're not familiar with them, somewhat comparable to the Vintage and Indie imports on your side of the pond). I preferred the P-90 SG to the humbuckered SG, and since I'm more of a LP/Tele guy, I sold the Epi.

Screaming Dave
January 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Sounds cool. There's a batch of people into P-90's here, including me. Have never had an SG or LP Junior though, all mine have been 2-pickup models.

I had an Epiphone SG (G400) for a short time, but subsequently bought a very inexpensive SG Special (P-90's) MIK knockoff (the brand is "Agile," you'll probably read about them here if you're not familiar with them, somewhat comparable to the Vintage and Indie imports on your side of the pond). I preferred the P-90 SG to the humbuckered SG, and since I'm more of a LP/Tele guy, I sold the Epi.

The SG Junior is a real "stripped-for-action" guitar, and has a really nice sound. I played mine at a gig recently and never once felt like I wanted to switch to the neck pickup (just as well, really, ha ha!). I have heard it said that the juniors had a better sound than the specials, because they have no routing at the neck, so there's more wood at the neck joint.

It's very light as well, which makes it ideal for hand-to-hand combat, which is great if a gig gets a bit rough.