PDA

View Full Version : connect a pc and a mac

ted s
January 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
hey peeps, one for the 'puter guys..
I have a Mac, and recently fired up my old PC, I want to be able to get to a shared folder on the pc from the mac and maybe prinit to the printer that is physically connected to the mac.
I have followed the instructions I have come across.. made a shared folder on the pc etc.. tried to access the pc via connect to server utility on the mac, no dice. I can ping both ways.
Any tips ?

thanks

WackyT
January 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Try entering \\PC Computer Name\ on the Mac.

ted s
January 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Wacky but she's a no-go.

WackyT
January 19th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Are you pinging via name or IP address?

Try \\PC's IP Address\ .

ted s
January 19th, 2009, 07:20 PM
from the pc I can ping the mac with both ip and name, from the mac I can ping the pc with the ip only.

WackyT
January 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Did you try the

\\PC's IP Address\

from the Mac?

ted s
January 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
yup, the mac function "connect to server" looks like
smb://192.168.2.18 but it fails

WackyT
January 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Found it!

Mac OS X 10.1 or later: How to Connect to Windows File Sharing (SMB) (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1568)

Follow these steps:

1) Click the Finder icon in the Dock.
2) Choose Connect to Server from the Go menu (see Note 1).
3) In the address field of the Connect to Server dialog, type the URL using this syntax (see Note 3): smb://ServerName/ShareName/
4) Click Connect.

You will be prompted for the workgroup, user name, and password. In addition to connecting to actual Microsoft Windows computers, you may also use the Connect to Server dialog to connect to a Macintosh that is offering Windows File Sharing.

Instead of ServerName use the PC's IP address if it can't resolve the name.

SuperSwede
January 20th, 2009, 01:07 AM
To use samba you need to have the same workgroup name.

Try pressing cmd-k and then browse to workgroup (or mshome or whatever the name can be).

ted s
January 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
thanks guys

ted s
January 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
This might be my problem, I haven't tried it yet though.

Mac OS X 10.5: Locating Windows PC computers on your network

Symptoms

You might not be able to view or "discover" Microsoft Windows-based PCs when browsing a local network via the Finder in Mac OS X 10.5 (such as the Connect to Server window's Browse button). This can happen if NetBIOS is not enabled on the PC.

SuperSwede
January 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
You can also use Dave which is a software that makes the mac+pc life simpler.. I havent tried it myself but I believe you can find a demo version here: http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

ted s
January 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
- got it, had to enable netbios on the pc and filesharing on the mac .