PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or Replace

Auriemma
January 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have a 1977 Bradley Les Paul. She is original except for the tuners. Over all its in great shape. I compared her to my cousin's Gibson LP Standard. They are VERY close, his Gibson feels and sounds better (and heavier in weight).

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9279/77lespaulpf8.jpg

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9655/77lpfrontaj9.jpg

I am considering gutting her and replacing the tailpiece, bridge, and electrics (New switch, P/Us, pots, wiring, etc.) It will probably run $300-400 along with a complete setup.

The thing is I can order a new Agile AL-3000 for the same funds and less work.

Opinions?

thearabianmage
January 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Well, you've played the Bradley, but have you played the Agile? That would make a difference. Plus it just matters on what you want. Some would say get a new guitar because then you've got two, while others would say 'quality, not quantity.'

Me personally, I think I'd fix the Bradley up, then in a while when you've got the dosh for a new axe, Agile-it right up! :D

That way you will have the best of both worlds - quality *and* quantity!

Spudman
January 20th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I'm with the Mage here. A few parts and she'll look good as new. Getting another guitar down the road is always something to look forward to. Fix what you got and use it then be saving for when the right one comes along.

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I agree...

You can do it for a lot less than you quoted.

The questions I have are about the construction of the Bradley. Is it a mahogany body? Mahogany neck? Thick maple body cap? If the answer to those questions is "yes", then you've got a Les Paul by another name...and with a little investment in parts and time it could sound just like one too. It sure is a dead ringer for an LP in appearance.

markb
January 20th, 2009, 02:01 PM
...The thing is I can order a new Agile AL-3000 for the same funds and less work...

And you'll still have that guitar sitting there. Fix it up to where you like it. I'd like to know more about the construction too, I'm not familiar with Bradley guitars.

Bloozcat
January 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I saw your pictures of this guitar over at mylespaul, Auriemma. It's a bolt on guitar, not a set neck like a Les Paul. Unfortunatley, the bolt on's are not very valuable except to the owner as a player.

If you do consider the Agile, I'd strongly advise that you get an AL-3000M or better with the 3/4" thick carved maple cap on the body. Mahogany body and neck, 3/4" thick carved maple cap (plain or flamed) are the essential ingredients for the true Les Paul tone.

The Bradley's still worth keeping just to mod and play with, though. It'll probably still get some good tones. You can mod it with stuff from GFS and not be out a lot of money.

Auriemma
January 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Its a 2 piece body (cap and back), that much I can see thru the access holes in the back. I don't know how thick the cap is. What kind of wood? I don't know. Bound front and back. I played it last night. Still plays like a dream, just needs some setup work. The pots are stamped D500k. The toggle switch is enclosed. The original tuners were replaced with Schallers (I think - script S on the backs with "Made in Germany"). I figure the fretboard is rosewood. The neck is 5 piece, bolt on, but straight and clean.

From what I have read, Bradley guitars were the house brand for Veneman's Music out of MD & VA. These guitars were supposely made in the same factory as Ibanez (possibly same as Tokia).

ZMAN
January 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
I had a friend do a similar gut on a MIM Tele. He had a spare set of Joe Barden pickups. He threw them in and it sounds and plays like a much more expensive guitar. BUT it is only worth about 250 bucks. The pickups are worth 2 to 3 hundred. They are vintage Bardens. So you have a dilema. I would look at a set of GFS pickups, and hardware. They sell some really good pieces for very little money. I would go that route and do a budget mod and I think you will have a guitar that you like to play and still have some coin for an Agile down the road.
Check them out.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/index.html
From your pictures that looks really sweet. They were made in Japan and anything I have seen from Japan has become very collectable.

TS808
January 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM
My first question is why do you want to replace all the parts? If they are still in good shape, I'd say go for the Agile.

I own two Agile AL-3000's and in my opinion, they are well-built, quality guitars. I had two guys look at an amp I'm trying to sell and I gave them one of my Agiles to play...they were seriously impressed and asked where they could get one.

Workmanship is good, build quality is excellent, and no problems with either of mine.

Upgrading the guitar you have won't increase the value if you ever want to sell or trade it down the road....I'd say keep it original. Especially if it is a 1977: keep it original.

Auriemma
January 22nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Why do I want to do a rebuild?

The toggle switch acts up and the neck pickup won't come on. Sometimes you can make it work by snapping switch to treble and back. But usually you need to tap the neck pickup with something metal to get it to work. The gold on the pickups is long gone. The saddle and tail piece are are badly oxidized, but still function. Some of the pots have a crackle. I just wanted her too look like she did when I got her... and maybe sound a little better.

Something like this:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/94744978944b6c49d.jpg

I recreated it at this site:
http://www.frankmontag.com/hobbys/custom_lp_style_guitar.htm
You can design you own Les Paul. Very cool.

BTW: I don't plan on selling any of my guitars. Their value does concern me, but for insurance purposes. But that being said, I also won't overlook a good offer a nice trade.

bigoldron
January 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM

The toggle switch acts up and the neck pickup won't come on. Sometimes you can make it work by snapping switch to treble and back. But usually you need to tap the neck pickup with something metal to get it to work. The gold on the pickups is long gone. The saddle and tail piece are are badly oxidized, but still function. Some of the pots have a crackle. I just wanted her too look like she did when I got her... and maybe sound a little better.

Something like this:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/94744978944b6c49d.jpg

I recreated it at this site:
http://www.frankmontag.com/hobbys/custom_lp_style_guitar.htm
You can design you own Les Paul. Very cool.

Well, if you're wanting to rebuild her, then I'd recommend GFS pickups. I put as set in my Washburn Idol 64DL about a year or so ago and those puppies sound really good to me. I got them in gold so that they match (and my wife couldn't tell). I put a Vintage '59 in the neck and a Fat PAF in the bridge and they really rock, from good cleans to a good crunch. You might even want to try some of their Dream 90's or Mean 90's, if you want to try for a P90 sound. As far as the pots and caps, RS Guitarworks offers some really good kits that aren't too expensive. They also carry TonePros bridges for not too much. Anyway, good luck with it! :AOK:

markb
January 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

I'd start with a new and better switch and a can of switch cleaner for the pots. That discolouration on the the tailpiece looks like the gold just rubbed off exposng the diecasting alloy beneath. A bit of a standard problem with cheaper gold hardware.

TS808
January 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM

That's cool...I'd try and get the switch fixed (or replaced). Here's my thing and I'm probably being too opinionated here, but you have a guitar that is over 30 years old and it still looks sweet.

There are ALOT of guitars that I wish I had kept, for instance my 1983 strat which was my first good electric guitar.

Just the thought of you having a guitar that old, and in that great shape (other than the switch) just seems pretty cool to me. As far as the gold wearing off, that is also a bit cool to me..a REAL relic as opposed to the "man made" relics out there now. Just something about that natural worn look is much more appealing than the custom shop relics that we see so much of.

Auriemma
January 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Well, I replaced the toggle switch with an AllParts replacement. It was defective. All positions gave both pickups. I took it back and got a Gibson (Switchcraft) replacement. TADA! All works now. So its not my pickup thats bad.

Now all I have to do is figure out why she won't hold a tuning. I'll probably just put her in for a complete setup. But I have others that need to go in too. One at a time... one at a time.

Thanks for all your opinions. I am still considering a total rebuild, but for now, she remains as is. As for being a real relic, that she is. I'm just not fond of the "beat up guitar" look. To me it shows a lack of care, which I am guilty of one this one.

markb
January 24th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think I've had to replace the switch in every far eastern guitar I've ever owned for more than about 6 months. Use Switchcraft for Gibson types and CRL or Oak Grigsby for Fenders. The cheaper switches all crap out in time. It's usually not worth getting a warranty replacement as that'll be another cheap part and just postpones the inevitable.