PDA

View Full Version : Which Acoustic Guitar Kit is Best?

carvedtop
January 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Hi all,

I've been thinking about building a "kit" guitar. Anyone have experience with this kind of a project? And what kits/suppliers can you recommend??
I was looking at the ones at www.grizzly.com, but I'm sure there's more.

Thanks,
CT

Bloozcat
January 23rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I would imagine that the grizzly kit would be OK, but they're not real detailed as to the materials in the kit.

You did say "best", not "cheapest", so I'd say that the Stew-Mac kits would be the "best". You get solid top, back, and sides in either dreadnaught kit (as opposed to laminated sides and possibly the back too). You get your choice of a bolt on or traditional dove tail neck attachment system. Tuners are not included so you can pick the ones that you deem best for the guitar.

I can't say that I've ever assembled a Stew-Mac acoustic guitar kit, but I've had my eye on one for a while. Given Stew-Mac's reputation for quality and my personal experiences in dealing with them for all kinds of luthiers tools and materials, I'd be pretty confident in their kits.

It wouldn't be the cheapest kit to build, but you'd end up with a guitar that easily rivaled those in at least the $1500.00 price range when it was done, providing that you did your part well.

Blaze
January 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
How about a Martin :

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-Build-Your-Own-Guitar-Kit?sku=419020

carvedtop
January 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Wow! I didn't even know Martin had a guitar kit. Looks like a nice project.
I also found another one that looks similar to the Martin kit:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Secondproducthead.asp?CategoryName=++Instrument+Ki ts

So has anyone built one of the kits that are out there? I'd be interested in hearing any tips/tricks on the assembly process.
Thanks!
CT

Steve206
January 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I had this same bug, chewing on me, a couple of years ago. I got in touch with Stew-mac and did a little research into what I was going to need, tool-wise. The dollar amount pretty much shut the idea down. It is a great kit if you are planning on starting a guitar making sideline and have the space and the bucks. But for the average JOE, Stew-mac does not recommend it.

Just my own personal experience,,,,

Steve

Rocket
January 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
You might want to talk with Dreadman about it... he started on his kit some years ago. I think he did a picture thread about it on the Washburn forum complete with assortment of jigs, rigs, and special tools needed to complete the job.
I don't recall that he ever finished it.

Flattop
January 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have to agree with Steve. It is not just the kit, tools and jigs needed, but also the expertise needed. If a side is bent a little wrong, it needs to be re-bent to do it right. Setting necks whoo! I have built a couple D size Martin kits that turned out great, but I don't know if the stress was worth it. Look around and know what you are getting in to before you spend the money. If you think you want to do it then, GO FOR IT! You never know, you might find your calling.

If you do it, I would get a Martin kit. They a good quality and you will have something to be proud of when you get done. I want to see the finished product. Post pic.

Good luck
JT

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Hey CT! Don't let them disuade you.

Build a hand carved archtop. :D

Good luck! If you build a guitar you'll be my hero. :master:

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Shoot, if I was going to do it, I would do the Rosewood dread herringbone kit from Martin. But I would truly more likely try to find a good used
rosewood dread first. That's just me. I may be different in a decade or two. Still, if I was going to do it, I would get the nice kit to start with. I would love to virtually watch you do one. :AOK:

Flattop
January 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I just had a thought CT. Go to your web search and look for Official Luthiers Forum. This is a forum of luthiers and instrument builders. They will answer any questions you will have about your project. They know their craft and are willing to share it with us in need. If that doesn't get you there post back and I will get the right web address.

carvedtop
January 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Hey CT! Don't let them disuade you.

Build a hand carved archtop. :D

Good luck! If you build a guitar you'll be my hero. :master:

OOOOOOO, a hand carved arctop. Now I'm salivating.

I think I'll stick with one of the easy kits to start with. My buddy and I are going to do this together and he has a fully outfitted woodworking shop. I already have a good collection of Stew Mac tools, and what ever tools we don't have, we'll buy.

Thanks for all the input guys!
CT