PDA

View Full Version : Redesigned BYOC Overdrive Pedal Kit Released!

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
The total redesign of the very popular BYOC Overdrive kit (Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-808 clone) has been completed and the new kit, called the Overdrive 2 (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html), is now officially released. The only bad news is that the initial production run of 200 kits sold out in 48 hours!! New kits will be available for order on Feb. 9.

The original Overdrive kit was not only one of BYOC’s most popular, but it was also a favorite of pedal modders, including yours truly. Recognizing this, Keith Vonderhulls took the opportunity to incorporate several of the most popular mods into the design of the new kit. These include switchable clipping options, switchable bass rolloff frequencies (more/less bottom end), and trimpots for setting min and max gain to personal taste, as well as the overall output volume. While not quite as flexible as my Zonkin’ Yellow Screamer modification of the original Overdrive, it’s close!

Keith didn’t stop there, however. He also offers a “MOSFET conversion kit” (included free for the initial production run, but for an additional $8 hereafter). This conversion kit allows you to build the OD2 as a MOSFET overdrive in the same vein as such heralded boutique pedals as the Fulltone Fulldrive2 MOSFET, Hermida MOSferatu, and Blackstone MOSFET Overdrive. These pedals are noted for their smooth tube-like overdrive character and responsiveness. The MOSFET conversion is an “either/or” proposition, though--choose either the stock TS-808 based build or the MOSFET conversion.

Another very cool new feature is the addition of a separate, independent onboard boost circuit with its own stompswitch. The stock build uses a silicon NPN transistor to drive this boost stage, but you can also build it as an ultra-clean MOSFET boost, if you purchase the MOSFET conversion kit.

The new kit sells for $90, the same price that the original Overdrive went for before it was phased out late last year. Considering all the added features & flexibility, that's quite a value! Having looked through the build instructions, I would characterize this kit as intermediate in difficulty. Wouldn’t recommend it for your first build or two, but if you’ve already done a couple or have other applicable electronics experience, you should have no problem. Just take your time & follow the instructions carefully. The variety of build options makes it a bit more complicated to follow.

For those who might be interested in this new design but don’t want to bite off the build themselves, feel free to PM me for pre-built pricing (assembly only or fully painted & decaled).

markb
January 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Woo-hoo! Is the boost usable on its own or is it like an FD2 where you can only use the boost to kick the OD section? I'm interested...

duhvoodooman
January 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Woo-hoo! Is the boost usable on its own or is it like an FD2 where you can only use the boost to kick the OD section? I'm interested...
The boost is an independent circuit, as I read both the product description and the schematic in the instructions. So you can run either or both. When both are active, the boost follows the overdrive. Pretty cool. :AOK:

piebaldpython
January 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM
WOW, sounds really cool and that it will be pretty popular.

Hmmmmmm....the Rabid Rodent has 6 distinctly different settings or voices; the Tri-boost has 5......how many "voices" for the OD-2?? Just curious.

Do you think the MOSFET option would be enough of a boost to sway one from going with the Tri-boost??

markb
January 20th, 2009, 09:56 PM
WOW, sounds really cool and that it will be pretty popular.

Hmmmmmm....the Rabid Rodent has 6 distinctly different settings or voices; the Tri-boost has 5......how many "voices" for the OD-2?? Just curious.

Do you think the MOSFET option would be enough of a boost to sway one from going with the Tri-boost??

With a 3-way clipping switch and a 3-way eq switch, I make it six different options. I find it more a case of being able to tune the pedal to your liking than a range of options. Until recently I used an FD2 and finally realised I really only used it on vintage/standard mode. That's one reason I now use an SD-1 instead (the other reason has a $ sign in it :) ).

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Vood,

As I understand it, not all MOSFET-based pedals sound the same. Any idea how this'un would compare with the 3 that you mentioned?

Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Mosferatu, Blackstone.

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
Vood,

As I understand it, not all MOSFET-based pedals sound the same. Any idea how this'un would compare with the 3 that you mentioned?

Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Mosferatu, Blackstone.
Unfortunately, not yet. Haven't heard any MOSFET OD2 clips yet, and have yet to build one of my own--though that's definitely in my plans.

EDIT: Just heard from Keith at BYOC that the MOSFET Conversion Kit for the OD2 will go for $8.

piebaldpython
January 21st, 2009, 01:15 PM
He also included a separate, independent onboard boost circuit (your choice of silicon transistor boost or ultraclean MOSFET boost)

Just curious here, but are these the same boosts that are on the Tri-boost pedal??

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Just curious here, but are these the same boosts that are on the Tri-boost pedal??
I haven't looked at the boost circuit to be able to say it's exactly the same, but the Triboost includes a silicon NPN transistor boost and a MOSFET boost, along with a germanium tranny boost based upon the legendary Dallas Rangemaster circuit. You'll have your choice of either a silicon NPN or MOSFET boost (if you purchase the additional $8 MOSFET conversion kit) with the OD2, but it's one or the other, not both. No germanium boost option.

piebaldpython
January 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info DVM!! Getting really bad GAS pains for this OD-2 pedal with the MOSFET option. :D

duhvoodooman
January 21st, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info DVM!! Getting really bad GAS pains for this OD-2 pedal with the MOSFET option. :D
Well, come Feb. 9, we can help ya out on that! :AOK: