PDA

View Full Version : Scales to learn

pes_laul
January 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well I guess its my fault for not learning these when I was a beginner but all I know is the minor penatonic (dont we all) dorian and a bit of the locrian.

lately Ive been digging some shreddy stuff like steve vai joe satriani etc. but what scale would one use to get that virtouso (I know I spelled that wrong) feel?

Robert
January 20th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Virtuoso feel? Uh, can you give an example? Yngwie uses the Phrygian mode a lot. Some shredders use the blues scale a lot. So the answer could be - "it depends".

You should learn all the modes. Not that hard really, once you know the major scale well. (See my write up - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/learning-scales-modes.php)

SweetSong
January 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hi , I don't know if this helps really,I really have not started learning about modes at all yet. I don't shred Yet either but anyway I learned the major scale first.The whole thing up or down the neck.Then about the Pent. only and about adding the blues note!

I think these are the best to start with because they have all the open strings in them.

G Major which is relative E Minor

C Major or A Minor

D Major or B Minor

I know these and and the roots so its helping and I feel like I'm really starting to understand some o this stuff.

I have to learn about modes though:whatever:

pes_laul
January 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Virtuoso feel? Uh, can you give an example? Yngwie uses the Phrygian mode a lot. Some shredders use the blues scale a lot. So the answer could be - "it depends".

You should learn all the modes. Not that hard really, once you know the major scale well. (See my write up - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/learning-scales-modes.php)
yeah I know all the notes and stuff but I dont get how shredders play them I can sweep pick and all that stuff but I just dont know what to do

Viking Power
January 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
yeah I know all the notes and stuff but I dont get how shredders play them I can sweep pick and all that stuff but I just dont know what to do

My problem is that I just haven't found the right pick yet.:rotflmao:

thearabianmage
January 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Sweep picking is actually based around chords and arpeggios as opposed to the popular idea of them being based around scales. Of course, chords and arpeggios come from scales, but I say this not to confuse, only to show you that *everything* in music linked, somehow.

Malmsteen uses Phrygian a lot (as Robert mentioned) and he also likes to use the Harmonic Minor, which is a natural minor scale with a major 7th. That is:

e------------------------------0-2-3-
B------------------------0-1-4-------
G-------------------0-2--------------
D-------------1-2-4------------------
A-------0-2-3------------------------
E-0-2-3------------------------------

Steve Vai uses the Lydian mode a lot, which is the 4th mode of the major scale. But Vai uses everything, really.

Satch is the same - he just jumps from one mode to another. He uses what's called 'Pitch Axis Theory' (listen to 'Not of This Earth', that chord progression with the solos over it is a perfect example of p.a.t.) which is solid stuff, but very fun to play around with and can also help you learn your scales/modes as well.

Everyone wants to be able to shred - it is fun, after all - but there are some things that need to be covered first, i.e. *proper* picking technique (there are many bad seeds of advice out there on the intrawebz), scales, arpeggios, chords, and appropriate left-hand exercises so you don't run the risk of developing RSI. All of these elements combined will give you dominion over just about any technique on the guitar you wish to wield.

A lot of people see sweep-picking as the 'be-all-end-all' of guitar techniques - remember: it's only just another technique. Changing this perspective in your mind might yield positive results in the future. And as always, as boring and tedious as it is, start *s*l*o*w*. You won't regret it in the future.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other queries, don't hesitate to ask! Have fun!!

tyoc
March 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi there.

I have a book that show tonality, mayor, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor

for example:

Tonality: C
Mayor: C D E F G A B C
Natural minor: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
Harmonic minor: C D Eb F G Ab B C
Melodic minor: : C D Eb F G A B C

So for example, I learn the natural, and the other 3 are modes? or are diferent scales?

Also what about that "pich axis theroy"?

What is "RSI"?

By the way, I have read that learning scales is not that fun, perhaps you can recomend a way for do it best?

Ro3b
March 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM
So for example, I learn the natural, and the other 3 are modes? or are diferent scales?

Harmonic and melodic minor are variations of the natural minor scale, which is the same as the Aeolian mode. I think it's a good idea to get comfortable with the natural minor scale first and then deal with the variations. Actually you can also think of the Dorian mode as still another variation of natural minor; it's the same except for the major sixth.

Also what about that "pich axis theroy"?

I didn't know myself until I looked it up on Wikipedia; there's a good article there.

What is "RSI"?

Repetitive strain injury.

By the way, I have read that learning scales is not that fun, perhaps you can recomend a way for do it best?

Learn the notes, then fire up a backing track and improvise for an hour or three. It's like learning new vocabulary in a foreign language; you have to use them consciously and on purpose for a while before they become second nature.

Gil Janus
March 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
My problem is that I just haven't found the right pick yet.:rotflmao:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/giljanus/Guitars/bjr-picks.jpg
Pick one, just pick one :dude: :rockon: :thwap: :D

Gil :cool: