It’s not emotion
Or the things that linger round us
The times we share
The moments in our lives together
The times at hand
Hold on through the stormy weather
And make your way
To the brighter light of day

Music and lyrics by Frank Axtell © 2008 FrankAxtell ® All Rights Reserved.

http://members.artistopia.com/Uploaded-Files/Profile-Images/10798/Franks%20Promo%20Pic.jpg

FrankAxtell
January 22nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
In the studio I use either a Bill Nash relic maple neck strat with Lollar pick ups or a 1983 Fender rosewood neck strat with Fender 1968 electronics into a Cry Baby wah, RC Booster and A/B box. From there it goes to a 1976 JMP Marshall 2204 and 1987 Silver Jubilee 100 watt head. both amps run vintage Marshall 4x12 with Rola 25 watt Celestions. I make sure that the microphone is pointing about two inches off center to the cone and set at a very slight angle to avoid too much pressure. Moving the microphone closer to the centre of the driver will increase the attack but you will lose the warmth. If you are placing microphones on a stereo guitar cabinet or cabinets, then follow the above steps but make sure that they are placed symmetrically to avoid any phase problems. I use Shure SM 58's into a Presonus Firepod into my Mac G5running Logic Pro. Live, I run a Silver Jubilee 2550 with Marshall 4x12 and 2 vintage Fender Super Reverbs, Cry baby Wah, RC Booster. The Lexicon PCM 80 and Chandler Digital Echo is fed by the line out of the Jubllee and then the signal is amplified by the stereo Fender Supers or Fender Vibro Kings.

Part of my tone is achieved by turning the amps way up....a luxury I can afford due to a spare bedroom in my home studio set aside for isolation. The 50 watt Marshall JMP is cranked to about 8 and the Marshall Jubilee is on about 7and set to the 50 watt setting. Load enough to kill small animals at 20 paces....seriously the power tubes need to be worked a bit. I love Jimi Hendrix's tone on Band of Gypsys. In my opinion that is the ultimate strat /Marshall tone....if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mike Landau and Scotty Henderson also get this very ballsy, very raw sound which I find very exhilarating and gripping. It's all about the signal chain and great vintage amps. My next amp may be the John Suhr OD 100 classic SE, which seems to replicate a well tuned late sixties early seventies Marshall Plexi. The Xotic RC booster helps slam the front end of the amps with a bit more punch. I also pick lightly and back off the tone control on the bridge pickup on the strat, back at least half way to warm up the tone and rid myself of some of the harshness of the high end.

Jimi75
January 23rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Hello Frank,

Thanks for inducting us into your set up. You always have great tone on your recordings. The Band Of Gypsys sound is indeed one of the best Strat sounds ever put on record.

Your song is a refreshing composition and your playing in the beginning reminds me of Eric Johnson. Very well composed, interesting structure and awesome sound. Not sure about the singing though. If the lyrics are very personal you have to sing it yourself of course, otherwise I would suggest hiring a singer for that song. Hope you don't take this amiss.

By the way, the OD100 is a great amph, but I think you already have that great sound so be careful not to risk some of your personal sound when switching amphs.

Greetz
J75

FrankAxtell
January 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I just did an entire remix of the tune...hopefully it sounds better.:deadhorse:

marnold
January 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I was going to say, I thought I caught a bit of Eric Johnson influence in there too. I like it!

Since cranked amps are a part of your tone, how do you adjust when you play live, especially in a club or other relatively small setting?

FrankAxtell
January 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I was going to say, I thought I caught a bit of Eric Johnson influence in there too. I like it!

Since cranked amps are a part of your tone, how do you adjust when you play live, especially in a club or other relatively small setting?
Thanks so much. I use my Fender Vibro King, it's a 60 watt amp and sounds great with RC Booster/BB Preamp/Electro Harmonics Memory Man...etc

333maxwell
January 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I just finished a new tune called "I See Your Light".
So I thought that I'd post some info on the guitar rig used...I've hada lot of people ask me what gear I use in the studio and also live.
In the studio i use either a Bill Nash relic strat with Lollar pick upsor a 1983 Fender rosewood neck strat with Fender 1968 electronics intoan Cry Baby wah, RC Booster and A/B box. From there it goes to a 1976JMP Marshall 2204 and 1987 Silver julilee 100 watt head. both amps runvintage Marshall 4x12 with Rola 25 watt Celestions. I make sure thatthe microphone is pointing about two inches off centerto the cone and set at a very slight angle to avoid too much pressure.Moving the microphone closer to the centre of the driver will increasethe attack but you will lose the warmth. If you are placing microphoneson a stereo guitar cabinet or cabinets, then follow the above steps butmake sure that they are placed symmetrically to avoid any phaseproblems. I use Shure SM 58's into a Presonus Firepod into my Mac G5running Logic Pro. Live, I run a Silver Jublilee 2550 with Marshall4x12 and 2 vintage Fender Super Reverbs, Cry baby Wah, RC Booster. TheLexicon PCM 80 and Chandler Digital Echo is fed by the line out of theJubllee and then the signal is amplified by the stereo Fender Supers orFender Vibro Kings.

Part of my tone is achived by turning the amps way up....a luxury I can afford due to a spare bedroom in my home studio set aside just for that purpose. The 50 watt Marshall JMP is cranked to about 8 and the Marshall Jubilee is on about 7and set to the 50 watt setting. Load enough to kill small animals at 20 paces....seriously the power tubes need to be worked a bit. I love Jimi Hendrix's tone on Band of Gypsys. In my opinion that is the ultimate strat /marshall tone....if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mike Landau and Scotty Henderson also get this very ballsy, very raw sound which I find very exhilarating and gripping. It's all about the signal chain and great vintage amps. My next amp may be the John Suhr OD 100 classic SE, which seems to replicate a well tuned late sixties early seventies Marshall Plexi. The Xotic RC booster helps slam the front end of the amps with a bit more punch. I also pick lightly and back off the tone control on the bridge pickup on the strat, back at least half way to warm up the tone and rid myself of some of the harshness of the high end.

Wonderful as always Frank..

I am so jealous of your having the resources to be able to 'crank' it..

I've always been a bit of a volume player myself, for live work I love my ability to utilize feedback musically ...and then I started recording and I have a crappy computer and due to low resources I have to record all my guitar dry right into the laptop and add plug in's later because if I try to use them in real time my machine crashes. It was like totaly learning a new instrument, as you know that sound pressure hitting the strings is magic and inspiring.

Don't get me wrong, you would sound great regardless, but it must be wonderful to have your own space and gear and resources to hunt your vision as you do.

As you know I am a big fan of your work!

oldguy
January 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Frank, that was great!
333maxwell and yourself both create some incredible music. You are each unique in what you do (as I told max in his latest offering), and you are both incredibly talented. Also, thanks for sharing more info with us about your gear, your settings, and where you presently are with your quest and your management company.
Kudos!

Vihar
January 27th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I liked it. Do you stay in the same room when you crank those things? Do you use earplugs? lol
Also, am I hearing things or you use a lot of pitch correction on your vocals? I'm not sure if it's that or you go for an ever so slight Cher-Believe kinda sound on purpose.
Anyway, thank you for sharing your music!

FrankAxtell
January 27th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Frank, that was great!
333maxwell and yourself both create some incredible music. You are each unique in what you do (as I told max in his latest offering), and you are both incredibly talented. Also, thanks for sharing more info with us about your gear, your settings, and where you presently are with your quest and your management company.
Kudos!
Thank you very much for the wonderful compliment. :beer:

FrankAxtell
January 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I liked it. Do you stay in the same room when you crank those things? Do you use earplugs? lol
Also, am I hearing things or you use a lot of pitch correction on your vocals? I'm not sure if it's that or you go for an ever so slight Cher-Believe kinda sound on purpose.
My control room where I play my guitar is separate from the room where my amps are isolated, so I'm listening to them at very low volume levels through my control room monitors. There is no pitch correction on the vocal tracks. Thanks so much for commenting.

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds great Frank. I love your tone.

When you mic your amps, do you record them dry and then add effects later in Logic? Or how do you do it?

I'm also drooling over that OD 100 Classic + since I tried one in Anaheim recently. Fantastic amp.

FrankAxtell
February 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
No ear plugs since my amps are in an isolation room. No pitch correction on the vocals either...thanks for listening.