PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow tests

Robert
January 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Made two quickies tonight. :D with my new Michael Kelly guitar. I had to, since you all DEMANDED clips so subtly... ;)

First clip is heavier rock style. Two guitars were recorded playing the same riff, then I panned them left/right. The "amp" used is TonePort Marshall Super Lead with Distortion stomp box model added.

Heavy Rock - 1st test (http://www.box.net/shared/1y31k66i16)

Next clip is slow blues. Here I use the Super Lead model again, but without the distortion stomp box modeling. One rhythm guitar. The lead guitar plays on the humbucker at first, then halfway through, I switch to the neck pickup in split coil mode, in order to get that "hollow" sound.

Bluesy Marshall - 2nd test (http://www.box.net/shared/rrijzr8xmf)

I know I LIKE the sound of this guitar! :rockon: :dude:

I can do fat, heavy rock tones as well as bluesy overdrive. Do I really need any more guitars now? :poke:

Rocket
January 20th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Do I really need any more guitars now?
Uh... yeah!
You still NEED a 335 (or similar). You can't do a Roy Orbison anthology cover without one... whatcha waitin' for?

sunvalleylaw
January 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM
Nice sounds Robert!! I think the first clip tells me this guitar will bring different sounds out of you. Congrats!

SuperSwede
January 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Sounds really nice, but you still need a hollow body :D

tot_Ou_tard
January 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
Sounds really nice, but you still need a hollow body :D
Yeah where's the hollowbody? ;)

The clips sound great Robert.

Robert
January 21st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys! Note to self: never ask here again if I need another guitar... :whatever:

Rocket
January 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys! Note to self: never ask here again if I need another guitar... :whatever:
Heh-heh... just one more!

warren0728
January 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
i don't think this has been mentioned....robert have you thought about a hollowbody....

Blaze
January 21st, 2009, 09:25 AM
Come on Robert , a last one this year ,come on ....:poke: :rotflmao:

Spudman
January 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Roboto
I listened to the clips and they both work. The heavy clip is very modern and thick. Reminded me of a Les Paul or similar and possibly a Duncan JB in the bridge.

The cleaner clip was very close to Schofield territory at first. Very similar voice at times. The neck pup is sweet and round with that nice little bite on top.

Pretty versatile guitar you got there. So congratulations on your new personality.:AOK:

PS. I hear the thrift stores in Alberta will take used Suhrs.

Algonquin
January 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
I liked the clips. The first one has me thinking of Judas Priest :rockon:
Drums tracks are nice and prominant too!

Robert
January 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
Thankee-sai! I think I made a fantastic purchase! I still feel guilty for winning the raffle though... I will try and make up for it somehow. Videos, clips, tips, suhrs, oh wait, I take back that last thing! :eek:

I checked with the pawn shops and thrift stores. They don't take Suhrs. Guess I will keep it.

Lev
January 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Sounds great Robert, I agree with Spud some great sonic variety there. How does the neck feel?

Robert
January 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
The neck is fantastic. The frets are good, the neck is narrow and fast. No buzzing. It has ebony fretboard. Some say it's cheap ebony copy stuff that wont' last. I guess I will find out. I'm all positive - it is exactly what I was hoping for. Incredible guitar for the money in my view.

Blaze
January 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
The neck is fantastic. . Incredible guitar for the money in my view.

Would mind to give an idea of the price ?

Robert
January 21st, 2009, 12:14 PM
USD prices are $399. In Canada, $594 apparently? See http://www.lamusic.ca/default.asp?szNav=Product&PID=13299

M29
January 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
Nice git Robert! Your playing is awesome as always and is a treat to hear you play this way. A master indeed:AOK:

Andy
January 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM
excellent ! tone, playing ,everything.
the second song has that clapton bluesbreaker tone.
nice shred work on the first song too!

tjcurtin1
January 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Wow! Fun hearing you inside such different sounds!

street music
January 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
Very nice Robert, I love the blues sound coming out of that but man a hollowbody would just add so much class to the small list og guitars you have.
Suhr would be great to see one of those in your videos.

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
No doubt about it, Robert, those samples sound great! I really dig the neck pickup sound, and the heavier sample just flat rocked.

It's a whole 'nuther side to your personality, and I like it.

And yes, you need a hollowbody of some sort. Or, at the very least, a 335 type. Then, between that, the MK, the Suhr, and the BooTeek Tele, you have just about the whole tonal spectrum covered.

BTW, how's that Marshall GAS feeling today?:D :poke:

Robert
January 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks - you guys kill me! How many more guitars do I need in order to keep you guys happy? :poke:
:beer:

Rocket
January 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just one more... always!

Jimi75
January 26th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Roberto, I must have missed your thread. First of all congrats on that guitar and on winning the trophy money.
The guitar sounds beautiful and features all significant criteria of a Paul style guitar as it seems.

Your playing on both clips is fantastic and you can't deny that there is two hearts beating in your chest. That first clip was high class shred. I looked up some clips of that guitar on youtube and man, those shredding guys can be annoying at times - who wants to listen to fast scales? Your clip however was of high quality Rob. You should definitely put up a video on the tube.

Just yesterday I grabbed my ESP Les Paul and it felt good. It's always good to have a littel backdoor guitar...

Enjoy your instrument!
J75

Vihar
January 26th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Do I really need any more guitars now? :poke:

Maybe after the next raffle.

FrankAxtell
January 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Robert, you are getting one of your best tones yet. I really was enjoying your sound. Nice fat midrange and bottom end with plenty of sustain. I think you've got a winner here.:AOK:

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks everone. Jimi, I appreciate that, Frank, glad you liked those tones. It's fun to record when it's so easy to get a decent tone with the Toneport.

duhvoodooman
January 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The new guitar sounds great, Robert. Looks (and sounds!) like those Kelly guitars are great values.

So Renman finally has a proper dual humbucker guitar! AFT!!! :poke: ;) :D

Algonquin
January 29th, 2009, 08:44 AM
AFT!!! :poke: ;) :D
+1 :AOK:

Robert
January 29th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Yep, I guess I have HB guitar, yes! It's cool too. Thanks.