View Full Version : Chris Whitley

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
OK, Jipes. Take over The Fret. ;)

Spudman
January 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
OK, Jipes. Take over The Fret. ;)

How about I take over for now? It's Whitley.:D

Living With the Law opened my eyes and Terra Incognita mesmerized me. What a talent and tragedy.

tot_Ou_tard
January 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
How about I take over for now? It's Whitley.:D

Living With the Law opened my eyes and Terra Incognita mesmerized me. What a talent and tragedy.
Oops, yeah I know it's Whitley. :o

Here's a page in memory.

http://www.chriswhitley.com/index.php

How did he die?

I had never heard of him before Jipes mention his name. I guess I have some listening to do.

Spud are those two albums the ones that you would start with?

Jipes
January 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Chris Whitley was a special artist, I love his raw blues style, his poetry, his intricate lyrics. He can deliver songs with such an angel voice (somehow equal as a Jeff Buckley) and is the Man who introduce me to the wild land of the Open tunings (together with Ani Difranco).

If you want to start Tot I highly recommend Dirt Floor which is Whitley stripped to the essential A man, his voice and a guitar.:AOK:

I have all his albums and all of them are fantastic for one reason or another, he was not afraid to shift from haunting melodies to a ferocious blues and some lightning saturation ;) He had also played with DJ and very electronic arragments like in Rocket House which is also one of my favorite CD.

He has such a variety of style in his music that you can really find something ! It exist a compilation Long way around which has different songs from his different albums which might give you an overview and help you to pick what you like more :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks all. I'm definitely getting me some.

Jipes
January 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
BTW Tot maybe you can edit the title of the post and correct the name ;) It might get other people discuting with us :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Done :AOK:

I've discovered from the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Whitley

that Medeski, Martin, & Wood play on his Perfect Day album. Is that album any good? I love MMW!

Robert
January 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
What, no video attached? Sheesh, gotta fix.

96zgyTxH8SU

Hellhound on my trail:
n1vZ3NIuJ3s

Spudman
January 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
If you want to start Tot I highly recommend Dirt Floor which is Whitley stripped to the essential A man, his voice and a guitar.:AOK:

Dirt Floor is cool. Chris went into an old barn and recorded this album.

tot_Ou_tard
January 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
What, no video attached? Sheesh, gotta fix.

Thankee Kindly Sai.