PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Gold Top Les Paul in the house!

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I have been unable to fight off my GAS for a Goldtop LP. I had found several Gibson's used on Kijiji, (Cannuck Craigslist), but I just couldn't justify the bucks they wanted. My local guy had a Gibson Classic Goldtop and I was about to trade an amp and 3 guitars for it, a loss of about 700 bucks in total.
I started to look around and found an amazing looking Vintage V100 Goldtop from JHS in Britain. It has Wilkinson hardware and a set of hummbucking P90s by Trev Wilkinson. I tracked one down in Hamilton Ont. about 35 miles away.
My Dad lives there so I went to visit and stopped by the store. Well I was blown away by how nice this guitar looked, played and was finished. I really like the feel of the neck and it was set up really well with a nice buzz free low action. And the price was only 429 plus tax. It has a sweet gold finish with binding on the body and neck. It has Wilkinson Deluxe Green key tuners and a lovely dark mahogany back. A very nice inlay on the headstock and the typical Gibson style inlays (Trapezoid) on the Rosewood fret board and vintage style knobs. No pointers though. The pickups sound really nice and I haven't even set her up yet.
I will of course include pictures. I will give her a good workout but the short time I had to play her today she sounded really nice.
I always put new strings on and get a set up by my guitar tech so I will see how she is after that.
Oh yea and it weighs about the same as my Chambered Studio.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220146.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220150.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220151.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220152.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/P1220155.jpg

Lev
January 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ah, that looks so sweet. Congrats man, I'm not the only one on theFret now with a V100. Glad you took the plunge!

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hey Lev thanks for your input. They are quite surprising when you think about all the Wilkinson hardware and pickups. I had to change the headstock pic.
That is my DSL 401 with my new Avatar 2/12 cab. All of my guitars sound amazing through it.

Robert
January 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Congrats! I've played a few Vintage guitars, and I think they are nice for the money.

mrmudcat
January 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Cool!:beer: :beer:

hubberjub
January 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
There is something about a goldtop.

Robert
January 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
There is something about a goldtop.

Something gold? :D :D :poke:

Brian Krashpad
January 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Congrats!

Humbucking P-90's?

Are they stacked coils like on the Gibson P-100?

warren0728
January 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
nice looking guitar....i'm guessing they are regular p90's....but i could be wrong....

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Yes they are stacked. I really wasn't sure what that meant. So the P=100s are stacked. I only have one P90 guitar and it is 41 years old.
This is the description from JHS Guitars.
V100GT Wilkinson® Stacked Ceramic x 2 (N) W90SK (B)W90SK

sunvalleylaw
January 22nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Looks really nice! I like goldtops too!

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Nice! That guitar looks very similar to a florentine cutaway "LP" "Gibby of the Month" that MF was selling a while back.

Purty guitar, man.:AOK:

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
It was interesting how they got around the Gibby shape. The horn is much sharper and the head stock has two crowns but very similar.
It is no Gibby for sure but quite amazing value for the money. My wife was quite happy with the 1500 dollar difference in price over the Gibson Classic.

bigoldron
January 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Very nice, ZMan! Very nice indeed!

peachhead
January 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sweet!

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I have to blame Lev for the gas on this one. He got me started last year with his Lemon Drop from Vintage. I almost bought one but they could not get one in stock. I called the same dealear about the Gold Top and they had one.

Spudman
January 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sweet looking guitar. Guess you'll be changing your name to Midas-man?:D

Oh, can I borrow it?

ZMAN
January 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sure Spudman next time I am in I de ho I will drop her by for a couple of weeks.
I think I am more happy with the Gold I kept in my pocket over the gold in the paint.
Heading to Florida for a couple of weeks. Got a house rented on Marco Island.
I hope to soon be golden brown.

Katastrophe
January 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have to blame Lev for the gas on this one. He got me started last year with his Lemon Drop from Vintage. I almost bought one but they could not get one in stock. I called the same dealear about the Gold Top and they had one.

That's some long distance GAS right there!:pancake:

Jimi75
January 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Congrats! This is a beautiful Goldtop. Vintage guitars are awesome.

Lev
January 23rd, 2009, 03:02 AM

I think the least you can do is fly me out to Florida for a week for helping you save all those dollars!:beer:

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
I got an email from Lorne Deedigan today he is the Sales Manager for JHS. I was enquiring where the Vintage guitars were made. I thought they were Korean but he says they are Chinese. But that is OK because one of my nicest Strats, the CV50s is Chinese.
Sorry Lev, no room. We have a bunch of family, flying/driving to spend a couple of weeks there together. Of course I will be thinking of you when I have that extra Maragarita at Jimmy Buffets in Key West. I can't wait to get away from this cold. It has been -15 C for a couple of weeks. It has been as low as 1 F a couple of times for all you US guys. We have had the Metric system for 30 years and I still have everything calibrated in Farenheit.
Still tweaking my amps for the P90 tone. I will try again today.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Well so much for my Vintage Goldtop. I gave it another workout today and there is definitely something wrong with the wiring. There is a gigantic hum and it will go away when I have the volume dimed and put the selector switch in the middle position. Also each volume pot will work in the centre position while the other is in the 0 or off position. I have never had a Gibson style guitar work this way. I tried it with all of my amps and I can't even chalk it up to P90s because I tried my P90 Gibby and no humm at all.
I am really pissed because they don't have another one. So I am back to square one on my Gold top quest. Maybe I should just go and get the Gibby.
ARRRRGGG.

Katastrophe
January 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Is it just a shielding issue? That's a cheap fix.

marnold
January 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
My guess is that inexpensive P90s + no shielding = noise except in the middle position.

Having said that, I'm not sure what you mean by this:

Also each volume pot will work in the centre position while the other is in the 0 or off position
You should be able to control the volume of both pickups in the middle position, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Every one of my Gibson Gutars or even Gibson copies will not work in the middle positions unless both voume controls are "on" or above zero. A lot of guys don't know that but it is true.
Also it is not noiseless in the middle position it is noiseless in the middle position only when both controls are at 10. So if I move below 10 the noise comes back.
Either a bad pot or some bad wiring.
Either way I don't want the hassle.
I have a 7 day window and it is gone.

Tibernius
January 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
Every one of my Gibson Gutars or even Gibson copies will not work in the middle positions unless both voume controls are "on" or above zero. A lot of guys don't know that but it is true.

That's the most common way of wiring an LP style. But there are other ways which mean that you can use the guitar with the switch in the middle and one pickup's volume set to 0.

I agree with Marnold: sounds like the guitar hasn't been shielded properly for single-coils.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I would agree with you except that the guitar is averstised with hum bucking stacked p90s. I tried even my cheapest Strat and there was nothing like this.
It was almost drowning out the music.
It sounds like when you touch the input jack when you have it plugged into the amp and not into the guitar.
I was playing it at a very low volume in the store. I didn't expect this when I cranked her up.

marnold
January 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I would agree with you except that the guitar is averstised with hum bucking stacked p90s. I tried even my cheapest Strat and there was nothing like this.
It was almost drowning out the music.
It sounds like when you touch the input jack when you have it plugged into the amp and not into the guitar.
Hmm. That is weird. Granted, P90s are going to be noisier than regular single coils but if they are actually supposed to be humbucking . . .

I was thinking maybe a ground loop, but I don't know how it would go away in the middle position.

marnold
January 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
That's the most common way of wiring an LP style. But there are other ways which mean that you can use the guitar with the switch in the middle and one pickup's volume set to 0.
Is there some benefit to doing it the typical Gibson way? Just to make it easy to cut the volume between songs? Obviously you couldn't do the EVH pseudo-kill-switch trick that way.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
It might be a simple fix. Maybe a wire touching something but I was a little worried about the p90s from the start and was hoping for a lot better.
One thing that absolutley drives me crazy is 60 cycle hum. I have gone to great lengths to not have any background noise. I even have a conditioned power supply. I only use house current with no extension. And I have almost no noise. So this was very noticable.

marnold
January 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
One thing that absolutley drives me crazy is 60 cycle hum.
If it's any consolation, I'm in complete agreement with you. That's why my Floyd sports Dimarzio Area 61s.

ZMAN
January 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yea I am a little bummed out. I would love for this thing to work out it is a very nice playing and looking guitar.
Thanks for your input but I should have listened to my inner voice and waited for a Gibby.
Update:
I did a little bit of digging and I found that the centre position is a hum cancelling position. Also I moved a couple of my wall warts that were plugged into a power bar and the noise is much lower. I can lower the volume on the guitar and the hum is almost gone. So I will be keeping it.
Not to say a set of mini buckers won't find their way into it. I just feels so good.
I now realize why I chose Accounting as my career.

Lev
January 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Cool, glad you worked it out. I've never had a P90 guitar before, I guess they are ultra sensitive. A pickup swap in the future could really make that guitar!

ZMAN
January 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I have owned a P90 Gibson SG for 40 years and I tested it against the GT. There is no comparison, the SG is very quiet. I am thinking that there is some wiring issues or just cheap electronics, but for the amount of money I have in it and the cost to change it to a "Deluxe" It will be a decent guitar.

ZMAN
March 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Update:
I sent the guitar in to my tech and asked him to take a look at the pickups and the set up. I had some fret buzz. He set the neck but he said it needed a fret job. Just too many high and low frets. (cost 100 dollars less 25 dollar credit I had). Also he said that the wiring was perfect and that the reason for the hum was that they WERE stacked but they were not matched I don''t quite know what he meant.
I got it back to day and it plays like a dream. The hum is still there but I will live with it. So far I have 500 in this guitar and it looks and plays very nice.
Maybe down the road I will change out the pickups but so far I like the tone.
I already have a lot of humbuckers so this is a nice alternative.

msteeln
March 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
www.vanzandtpu.com
Pretty much unbeatable vintage sounding singles and hummers.

ZMAN
April 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
I thought I would update on the hum. I was playing the other day and everything went dead. I started messing with my pedal board and one of the patch cords must have died. I pulled it and replaced it with a better one. When I got my Vintage GT back I plugged it in and there was a lot less noise. Also I was using one of the wall warts on my pedal boards aux power plug. I moved it to a wall socket and now things are much quieter. It didn't seem to affect the Humbuckers but the p90s picked it up. I am a lot happier with the guitar now that she is set up and much quieter.

markb
April 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Tracing noise, especially when you've got a lot of pedal links, is a nightmare. Great to hear you found the problem. Singles will always be noisier than 'buckers but hey, it's the sound of rock 'n' roll :)

FWIW I tried a Vintage gold top a few weeks back. Not bad but it had a couple of obvious setup issues, too little relief in the neck (fretting out in the middle of the board) and the tailpiece too low causing the strings to foul the back of the TOM. The shop guy came over at one point and said "isn't it great?". I thanked him for his indulgence and left. I think with a little time spent on it (I'd need about half an hour) it could be a good guitar but his price wasn't that great anyway.

ZMAN
June 19th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I recently came back from a 26 day trip to Maine. My daughter had a baby boy!
I had brought a Strat and a small Vox pathfinder to noodle on but I missed my LPs.
I grabbed my Classic Gold top and then played my Standard and finally I grabbed the Vintage Gold Top. All I can say is that the Vintage Goldie felt really nice. That Fret job and the complete pro set up has made a huge difference. For some reason the noise is pretty well gone. I was using my radial hot british and my 65 Deluxe and she sounded amazing. I am now even more happy with this guitar. It has that raunchy p90 tone and is just about the perfect weight. If you get a chance to play any of the Vintage icon series you should look past any set up issues. It can become one of your favourite guitars. And for under 600 Can. total they are good value.

Blaze
June 19th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I recently came back from a 26 day trip to Maine. My daughter had a baby boy!
I had brought a Strat and a small Vox pathfinder to noodle on but I missed my LPs.
I grabbed my Classic Gold top and then played my Standard and finally I grabbed the Vintage Gold Top. All I can say is that the Vintage Goldie felt really nice. That Fret job and the complete pro set up has made a huge difference. For some reason the noise is pretty well gone. I was using my radial hot british and my 65 Deluxe and she sounded amazing. I am now even more happy with this guitar. It has that raunchy p90 tone and is just about the perfect weight. If you get a chance to play any of the Vintage icon series you should look past any set up issues. It can become one of your favourite guitars. And for under 600 Can. total they are good value.

Congrats for the baby Boy Gran_pa..

I had a friend s Gold Top a good while ago,it was a great privilege to play on this 70 s Gibson ,still a dream to get one in the futur..

I should quit my musician job or sell half of my gear to stack enough cash to get one..:D

bigG
June 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Congrats for the baby Boy Gran_pa..

I had a friend s Gold Top a good while ago,it was a great privilege to play on this 70 s Gibson ,still a dream to get one in the futur..

I should quit my musician job or sell half of my gear to stack enough cash to get one..:D

I hear that, Blaze. I'm thinkin of selling some amps and guitars. Go w fewer toys, but higher quality. Plus, I'd free up alot of floor space in my apartment...we'll see.

And, congrats on the birth, Zman! I'm a grandpa x 4!!!! Grandkids are way cool, 'cause they go home w mommy n daddy! :D

ZMAN
June 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys. This is the second one in less than a year. My Son and his wife also had a little boy. The only problem is my grandsons are 600 miles apart.
I went the route of downsizing a little to get quality guitars. All I ended up with was a lot of quality guitars. Now I can't figure out which ones to sell.
I recently purchased a Gibby Goldtop Classic and I like it a lot. The little Vintage goldtop is pretty impressive though.

Tibernius
June 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
If you get a chance to play any of the Vintage icon series you should look past any set up issues. It can become one of your favourite guitars. And for under 600 Can. total they are good value.

I managed to get a new Vintage VRS100 PRS-style in white a while ago off a certain internet auction site. It was sold as a second ("B" stock) since it had a slight mark showing through the finish (which happened to be in the same place your arm is when you play the guitar standing up, so it's as good as invisible).
When it arrived it was set up awfully; the tremolo wouldn't move, the neck had too much of a curve and the action was over 4mm.
After setting it up I managed to set it to the same as PRS recommend for their guitars: 2mm action on the high E, 2.5mm on the low, 2 semitone maximum raise on the tremolo. Not bad for a guitar that cost me £60. :AOK:

Mark The Outlaw
August 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I have just bought a Brand New V100 Les Paul Gold Top....it cost me less that £200.00 DELIVERED....first guitar I have ever bought 'unseen' but I figured for that money I can always resell it,..and the reviews HAVE been good.....

What can I say...this guitar is amazing....REALLY well made...finish is good..(a few blemishes but...hey...for THAT moey..who would complain)...sounds GREAT accoustically....the stacked 'P90's' sound brilliant through my Laney VC30 Valve Combo...but through my Reissue Blackface Twin Reverb it sounds like a guitar ten times the price....so far I can't find ANY fault with it at all....I suppose time will tell..!!!....But I think this guitar will be around my neck for a long time to come!!!!

FrankenFretter
August 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I have just bought a Brand New V100 Les Paul Gold Top....it cost me less that £200.00 DELIVERED....first guitar I have ever bought 'unseen' but I figured for that money I can always resell it,..and the reviews HAVE been good.....

What can I say...this guitar is amazing....REALLY well made...finish is good..(a few blemishes but...hey...for THAT moey..who would complain)...sounds GREAT accoustically....the stacked 'P90's' sound brilliant through my Laney VC30 Valve Combo...but through my Reissue Blackface Twin Reverb it sounds like a guitar ten times the price....so far I can't find ANY fault with it at all....I suppose time will tell..!!!....But I think this guitar will be around my neck for a long time to come!!!!

Very nice. I wish I could find a US distributor near me. I suppose I could always order one and have it sent to BCDon, but I'd probably never see it again.

mapka
September 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I was interested in one of Vintage's Gretsch copies. I went to JHS website and emailed the distributor in the USA that they had listed. Never got a word back. I ended up doing some investigating on my own (going to EBay and finding dealers with Vintage stuff for auction), After spotty communications with two dealers (one I guess lost interest cuz I never heard back whether they could get the model I wanted) I found out that they could not get this model for me. I wrote Vintage in the UK and told them that their USA partners were really dropping the ball. They said that they forwarded the email to their US distributor and that the distributor would contact me. That was a week ago!

The one dealer who did work with me said that the guitar would be almost 1000.00 dollars! :eek: Not really in the inexpensive range anymore

omegadot
September 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Ahh, sexy guitar porn.

Tibernius
September 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
The one dealer who did work with me said that the guitar would be almost 1000.00 dollars! :eek: Not really in the inexpensive range anymore

Well the white one's £749 ($1,150) over here and the orange one's £699 ($1,070), so that's actually not that bad a deal.
Bit silly when you can get a real Gretsch for that much though...even if it is the budget version.