PDA

View Full Version : Gary Moore Still got the blues - Creating that Tone

Justaguyin_nc
November 2nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
I assume this is the right forum for this question.

Alright, I have not the ears to pull out everything a song has in it to determine how to achieve "That Sound" So will ask for help from those that do know how and hopefully how to do it cheaply.

I realize I could look up Gary Moore gear but that just tells me everything a person uses... not which, how and why etc..

Song:Still got the blues... Other then the talent.. what does it take to... how they say "Nail it" in getting this sound for this song? Amps..Pedals.. which effects could one use to achieve a close resemblence of what this total band does to bring this song together and cheaply.. emulating etc..?

:confused:

Robert
November 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
I think Gary uses old Marshalls and a Les Paul, doesn't he?

Tone2TheBone
November 3rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah he does Rob...cept he said "cheaply"...

A Marshall will always sound like a Marshall...and even then not all Marshalls sound or behave the same.

You might be able to get a certain "drive" out of a humbuckered guitar that isn't an actual Les Paul and get it close to sounding close to a garden variety Les Paul type guitar. But it also depends on your playing. Thats the reason I used the term "drive" instead of tone. Of course it does help to have decent 'buckers too and have them set up properly etc.

Amp sound on the other hand is more trickier. I personally think you would be hard pressed to get close or similar to someone's sound without actually having an amp that will react in the same way as the person you're trying to pattern. Having said that, I will say that today's technology makes it better for people to get pretty dang close much easier. Important thing again is how closely you can interpret the player's feel, and then inject that attitude into YOUR own playing. Moore's playing is all about feel like almost everyone of our heros. I once read (or heard) Carlos Santana say something to the effect of...music should be played from down here (the groin area) and that it should flow out from way deep inside you and out. If we can understand that analogy I think it would make us better players. My own motto is "play it like you mean it".

In closing I wish Carlos would heed his own advise... heh j/k I still dig him.

Anyway yeah I think you can get near certain sounds in a reasonable manner without spending "too much" money. But...there is nothing like the tone of a very loud and sturdy Marshall cabinet and the attitude of a pissed off Gary Moore playing it!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
I agree with tone2thebone...simply said ..its in the hands..gary moore would sound like gary moore on a jay turser and a peavey amp..mechanical tone is easily arrived at , feel on the other hand is what seperates the masters from the rest... has any one seen the strat pack dvd ? gary moore playing a beat old strat into a marshall plexi doing red house and paying homage to jimi.. dam near a religious experience , strat , les paul, rubber bands on a broom stick, will sound like gary moore... 6S9L

Justaguyin_nc
November 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks Robert 6Strings and Tone... but..
This is how these kinda of questions are usually answered. But most of us usually know that a Gibson type or Strat or tele was used along with sometimes thats a Fender Amp sound or Marshall etc.. I would be more in search of the guy that actually attains this tone say dialing in a VOX Valvetronix or V-Amp2 or J-station maybe a little Roland Microcube to sound like Gary's rig explaining the settings and maybe adding certain pedals like the blues driver etc with dialed in numbers explained. Someplace to start for when you actually do play from the gut it nails it... I can sit here all day bending that little walk Gary plays in this song but without the full sound he creates it will never sound as good even with the gut playing.. I mean thats why we or people buy digital boxes such as V-Amp2 etc and call them modelling amps etc.. to make presets that match songs.. I trully believe even Gary Moore would not have sounded as good playing this song without creating the tone he ended up with so the thought of him on a Jay turser and peavey amp to do this is really stretching how to attain his sound unless you can tell me how to dial it to make "That" sound heh... anyone else? I beleive the talent is also in the creation of the tones each one of our heros relates with inside the song we relate them to. Have we any Tone Clone creators on the cheap out there?

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hey, I just noticed the VOX AD series has a jukebox online with a sound called Moorish in it... how close does it sound to the marshalls and Gary? Sounds pretty darn close to me.. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/vt_audition.htm Looks like another reason to get that Vox AD50VT ordered!!

Oh and breaking this song down some.. did the other guitar have the same setup you think? How would the rhythm guitar be setup.. chorus , reverb..