View Full Version : Arc Angels

Robert
January 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Doyle Bramhall ll, Charlie Sexton, Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon

VEY5CCqQDeA
wyaztvtDBPw

Jimi75
January 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cool post! Man I loved their stuff and Doyle was totally great already at that time.

ted s
January 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yup. Doyle has a certain coolness about him.
I was watching the Crossroads 07 a bit yesterday, I didn't know he played lefty strung upside down.

Spudman
January 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
When that first album came out in the mid 90s I was all over it. They've been doing gigs around Austin ever since. I just heard somewhere that they have another album in the works.

Good find mate.:AOK:

TS808
January 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
When that first album came out in the mid 90s I was all over it. They've been doing gigs around Austin ever since. I just heard somewhere that they have another album in the works.

Good find mate.:AOK:

Wow...I have the first album. If they come out with another I'll be grabbing that one.

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2009, 06:19 PM
That is great! I am just getting to know about Doyle, and like what I see.

Andy
January 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
good stuff I also have the arc angel album and all of Doyle's, fantastic player

Jimi75
January 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM
One of his later songs called "Problem Child" has the smoothest Fuzz tone ever. Doyle is pretty cool and Clapton has his reasons for making him his side man for years now.

thekiwidisciple
January 26th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Doyle rocks! I first saw him on Roger Waters' In The Flesh DVD. And on March 10 I've got tickets to Clapton's gig, but I'm soo hoping Doyle's still with him!

Jipes
January 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Great band I remember discovering the cool guitar mix of Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall at that time it was really great. The solo albums od Doyle are btw excellent specially Smokestack :AOK:

Thanks for refreshing our memories Robert ;)

Spudman
March 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
It's official - new album, tour and DVD from the Arc Angels.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Arc_Angels_Reunite_New_Album_DVD_Tour.aspx

Austin, TX (March 22, 2009) - Austin supergroup Arc Angels made it official--the band is back together and very excited about a new album, a DVD release and a new tour. Even though the group split company just a few years after their critically acclaimed debut in the early 90s, they've had a loyal fan base that has been sustained by a single album, seven farewell gigs just months after their breakup in 1993, and recent reunion shows. In between, members have been playing with Eric Clapton, David Grissom, Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Bob Dylan and others.

The band's history precedes its own debut album with a lineup that is famous among music aficionados in Austin and beyond, and is even tied to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Arc Angels are also a particular favorite among gearheads due to the killer tones of lead men Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton, who are back with their classic equipment and some new gear, as well. Chris Layton is back behind the kit but fellow Double Trouble member and original Arc Angel bassist Tommy Shannon was not in Austin for the band's four appearances and does not appear to be a part of collaborations for the new album and tour.

Antone's setlist with notes on Sexton's guitar changes
The band played at KGSR studios, Little Steven's Underground Garage and the Auditorium Shores Stage on Friday, March 20th, and then a tribute to club owner Clifford Antone at the legendary Antones the next afternoon. Fans at the Antone's gig were treated to a sneak peak viewing of a portion of the band's new live/documentary DVD that is to be released in April along with the new CD. They were also witnesses to the city of Austin officially declaring March 21st as Arc Angels Day. The setlist for Antone's included three new songs.

Bramhall II's guitar lineup at Antone's included his Strats (but not the red one) along with his LP Junior. His '68 Marshall Super Bass was running through a 2x12 in a Fulton-Webb open back 4x12 cab.

Doyle Bramhall II's pedalboard

http://www.premierguitar.com/Stream/StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=CAC3BAF3-BCF1-4E24-BEE4-D3872F1DEA49&Image_Type=image
Sexton's line up of axes included a James Trussart Steeltop, a Zemaitis, Strats and his Ric. He had two amps, a VOX AC50 and a 65Amps London.

Charlie Sexton's pedalboard

http://www.premierguitar.com/Stream/StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=86735B28-503F-4053-AF0F-5880A48A5B02&Image_Type=image
Initial dates for the new tour have been announced with more to come soon. So far, the band has a run of shows in Texas next month and then a NYC gig in May, followed by a run of UK dates which includes opening for Eric Clapton during a 10-night stay at Royal Albert Hall. Other scheduled dates include an East coast run in early June.

gnzXZl7s348&

For more info:
myspace.com/arcangelsmusic

Jipes
March 29th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the update Spudman it's great to hear that they re-unite again their first album was really good and since I love both Sexton and Bramhall II solo efforts as well :AOK:

Jipes
April 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Hi Guys very good news there's a whole concert at Antone's on iClip website just register and hop an entire concert with great image quality :rockon: :AOK:

http://www.iclips.net/content.php?content_id=24852

Spudman
April 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hi Guys very good news there's a whole concert at Antone's on iClip website just register and hop an entire concert with great image quality :rockon: :AOK:

http://www.iclips.net/content.php?content_id=24852

Thanks!:AOK: :beer:

Jipes
April 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Thanks!:AOK: :beer:

You're welcome ;)
It's funny but I notice that Charlie Sexton album are far away from the Arc Angels or Doyle Bramhall blues rock thing it's more cool and folk and songwriter oriented

ZMAN
April 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I forgot all about that CD. I also have it. I also forgot that it was SRV's rythm section.