PDA

View Full Version : Control - the movie (Joy Division)

Spudman
January 23rd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Just finished watching Control the movie. It's a sort of biopic about the life of the lead singer Ian Curtis (Joy Division) who committed suicide at 23. No it's not a particularly upbeat movie but it was interesting anyway.

Fans of music and bands as well as seasoned musicians will relate to some or all of it if you were alive in the late 70s early 80s.

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Cool, I enjoy their music.
Thanks for telling :)

Ro3b
January 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Awesome movie. I strongly second the recommendation.

A very cool thing about it is that the actors playing the band are actually playing the music themselves rather than miming along to a recording. They do a fantastic job of it too.

It's worth watching Control alongside Joy Division, which is a documentary that came out at around the same time. It's mainly a bunch of talking-head interviews with friends, associates, and surviving members of the band, but it's fascinating.

markb
January 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I saw Joy Division live once. I think I left after three numbers. Man, were they depressing...

Spudman
January 24th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I saw Joy Division live once. I think I left after three numbers. Man, were they depressing...
I think I would agree. Unique nonetheless.

Geraint Jones
January 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM
A film of the era and slightly more amusing was 24 Hour Party People centered around Tony Wilson , I suppose it helps to have heard of some of the bands but I found it a great film. Vinni Reilly what a guitarist.