PDA

View Full Version : Old Bluegrasser, New Forum

Flattop
January 24th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Hi Ya'll,

Most people call me JT. Some others have names for me that I can not mention. You can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for supper.

I live in western Iowa on the Missouri River bottom where the ground is so flat you can see what your neighbors are doing a hundred miles away.

Not to give my age away, but I started playing guitar in the early 60's on a Harmony Broadway, which I still have. When I was about 16yrs some friends and I saw the Beverly Hillbillies and decided we should play Bluegrass. We didn't make much money at it, but we did cut some sound tracks for TV and did some TV appearances. We also were called to play some of the big festivals around the country.

At about 18yrs We formed a rock & roll band that pay our way through college, but we were still Bluegrassers at heart.

Through the years I have been to hundreds of festivals across the country. I still hit all the local festivals and also try to catch 2 or 3 big ones around the country every year.

Through out the years I have been blessed with the opportunity to play with some of the biggest names in bluegrass. Memories that last for ever.

We still do a show now and then, but mostly just jammin' in a family setting with the kids and grandkids. We have three generations that jam together.

I play mostly Martins and Gibsons but I do have some Washburns and others.

I am looking forward to reading the topics on this forum and from time to time mabe throw something in to help or out for discussion.

Thanks for the opportunity to share in this forum,

JT

By the way, My user name is not Flattop because my head is flat, though some might think so, but because that is what I play. DREADS FOREVER!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Welcome Flattop!

Bluegrass is the original Shred, man you guys play fast!

sunvalleylaw
January 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Welcome JT! Nice to have you here grooving up slowly. ;) My dream acoustic is a HD-28, and I am constantly trying to find that sound in a less expensive guitar. I do play a little tiny bit of bluegrass as part of my lessons, and it sure is fun. Thanks for joining us!

Blaze
January 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Welcome & Bienvennue Flattop, i lived on Vancouver Island in the late 70 s for fews years ,
i played & learned Bluesgrass with some awesome guitar , banjo et mandolin players .Loved it & it s still a part of my playin style ..

We had our own '"Grand Ole Opre'' called the ''Coombs country Opera'' where everybody could play & have never ending jams..:DR

Nice to have you here ,you'll like the exchange of tips, discussions and debates we have in here and your experiences will be appreciated as well..

Blazes:AOK:

warren0728
January 24th, 2009, 08:52 AM
welcome to thefret jt....nice taste in guitars....would love to hear some of your music.... :pancake:

Robert
January 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Welcome Flattop! I've always wanted a Gibson Jumbo, although the vintage ones are a bit expensive...

I like bluegrass, although I don't play that style much. I'd like to learn more though. Tony Rice is a guy I'm very impressed by.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Spudman
January 24th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi and welcome.:wave:

Flattop
January 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome,

tot_ou_tard

We used to play fast, but time has taken it's toll. I don't Know if it is the weary fingers or the feeble mind. We leave most of the fast stuff to the kids, but we can still rip off some rip-snorters just for the kid to have something to think about.

sunvalleylaw

You have a dream worth keeping alive. I happen to play a HD-28 and I love it. It is a real workhorse. When you play with a group it keeps up, but when you need it to bark, you can have a dog fight with the 5 string banjo.

My dream is to one day own a Wayne Henderson guitar. Played one last summer and though about going home and using the Martins and Gibsons for fire wood.

If you want to have some fun, do a web search for bluegrass clubs in your area. Get a flattop and go jammin'. They love new people and they usually have jams for all levels.

Blazes

Nothin' like a good ol' jam at a festival. You never know who might be setting next to you and have them ask "How'd ya' do that?"
Once your hooked, your hooked.

warren0728

I'll see if the ol' duffers are up to it and try to get some stuff downloaded some time.

Robert

I have a 1966 B45 sunburst 12 string I bought new for around $600.00 and a 1967 J45 sunburst that I also bought new for about the same price. Very nice axes. My 19yr. son is now the owner of the J45. My 12yr daughter is waiting for my HD-28. I keep telling her not to get in a real big hurry.

Like I told sunvalleylaw check out blue grass clubs in your area. You would be it for a good time.

Spudman

Hi Spudman and thanks for the welcome. I often wonder where people get their user names.

Once again, thanks to all for the warm welcome,
JT

tot_Ou_tard
January 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I often wonder where people get their user names.

I'm named after my planet.

Or perhaps my planet is named after me.

It's getting harder & harder to tell the difference.

peachhead
January 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hiya Flattop, I'm looking forward to hearing some of your music- I've been enjoying bluegrass since I was too short to reach the radio and I still love it!Welcome to the Fret- there are lots of great folks here!

SuperSwede
January 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the fret.net!

markb
January 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hi, Flattop, welcome to the fret! HD28, the first choice for banjo slaying.

Hey, Robert, the Bozeman Gibsons are good. My '99 J45 is the equal of any vintage sample I've played.

mrmudcat
January 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Welcome

Katastrophe
January 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome, Flattop! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
January 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Welcome JT!