PDA

View Full Version : Syd Barret is dead

Guitar-Chris
July 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
The formerly member and founder of Pink Floyd, Syd Barret, ist dead:

News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm)

Shine on you crazy diamond!

SuperSwede
July 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM
*RIP* Mr Barret..

Great artist and member of a truly innovative band.

Bloozcat
July 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Shine On You Crazy Diamond

oldguy
July 11th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Rock on, Syd, and thanks for the music.

Bloozcat
July 12th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I think it's pretty admirable of the band to provide for Syd all these years as he's struggled with health issues, both physical and mental. That says a lot about the character of Syd's former band mates.

Guitar-Chris
July 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I think it's pretty admirable of the band to provide for Syd all these years as he's struggled with health issues, both physical and mental. That says a lot about the character of Syd's former band mates.

Did they? Never heard of it. In the first years after Syd had left the band, therer were always the rumours, that he had died.

Iago
July 12th, 2006, 09:59 AM
yeah.. I saw the news yesterday morning...thats sad.

*edit : here`s a drawing of Syd I did some years ago...I still have another one, but it`s in my brazilian house...

Tone2TheBone
July 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
You drew that? Holy cow thats really good.

Iago
July 12th, 2006, 10:15 AM
thanks Tone, Syd was one of my early inffluences.

Bloozcat
July 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Did they? Never heard of it. In the first years after Syd had left the band, therer were always the rumours, that he had died.

This is an excerpt from an article that appeared on Netscape:

Barrett spent his final years in his mother's house in Cambridge, England, living comfortably off the royalties that his former bandmates made sure he collected.

It's my understanding that as a founding member of the band he collected royalties for Pink Floyd music even after he was no longer an active member. I'll have to find the source where I read that...I can't recall off the top of my head.

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
"Wish you were here" was dedicated to Syd if I recall correctly...

Iago, wonderful drawing. You are a great artist!

Bloozcat
July 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM
"Wish you were here" was dedicated to Syd if I recall correctly...

Iago, wonderful drawing. You are a great artist!

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond", "Wish You Were Here", and "Dark Side Of The Moon", were all among the songs dedicated to Syd. There may be others as well.

As to the royalties I spoke of earlier: The band members made sure that royalties were paid for all of Pink Floyd's work that Syd had a hand in. This includes not only the early albums, but also the later live albums where Syds songs were played and recorded. I found this on multiple sources, so it's probably accurate. I saw no indication that Syd received any royalties for any of the bands work that Syd had no hand in. By the same token, I found no evidence that he didn't either, although it would seem unlikely that he received anything from works the band did without him.