PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I need input about chorus pedals.

wolvie56
January 25th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum but would like your opinions about which brand of chorus pedals to get. I have narrowed it down to a Digitech XBC bass multi chorus pedal, or a Boss CEB-3 pedal. Thanks for the help in advance.

Blaze
January 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Boss CE 2 vintage

Arion Chorus use on E bay

Childbride
January 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i have a Boss CH-1 that i think is pretty cool, but don't ever use me as a definitive opinion. i haven't played long enough.

BluesHowler
January 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have a Boss CBE-3 and it sounds great. Even though I sold my bass guitar and amp a while back I'm keeping the peddle for when I acquire another bass and amp.

I don't think bass needs a lot of affects but I love the sound I get from this peddle.

markb
January 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
They're wibbly-wobbly things from the 1980s :)

My favourites have been:

Boss CE-2 - ignore the nonsense about Japan vs Taiwan (IMO). I've owned two MIJ and one MIT and they've all sounded pretty much the same. The thing about the internal trim pot is true but I wouldn't turn it all the way up unless you've a strong stomach :) . The CE-3 and 5 aren't that much different, really. I borrowed a CE-3 once when I'd left my CE-2 at home and was quite happy with it.

Arion SCH-1 - Originally the poor man's Boss, now quite collectable. It has a plastic case if you're of the heavy-footed persuasion.

TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger - can be very clinical but if you want that full on 80s glitter, it's the one to go for. It has a great vibrato mode too. Mains powered, expensive.

Visual Sound H2O Chorus/Echo - very good sound and it has a delay time knob to allow a large range of chorus/phasey effects. It gets almost flanger like when combined with the delay side of the pedal. A big pedal if you're short on pedal board space but it is two effects at once.

sunvalleylaw
January 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM
After reading this thread ( http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1153&highlight=chorus ), I went with a Boss CE-5, which seems to serve me well. As CB has said though, I do not have the experience to make a big recommendation over another. The other one I was interested in was the EH Small Clone.

marnold
January 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I was fortunate enough to come across a Digitech Chorus Factory last summer for $45. I mainly use the Boss CE-5 model for a more subtle chorus and the Digitech Multi Chorus for a more obvious 80s-style chorus.

No matter what one you choose, try to use it using your guitar and amp and go with the one that sounds best to you.

Duff49
January 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have not been extremely interested in individual pedals lately, unless it is something special that I want for a specific thing.

Lately I have found that multipedals are of high quality and offer a big bang for the buck and are quieter than a few chained pedals.

For my bass rig, which is no big deal; just a new Squire Jazz bass and a used Squire P bass I'm going to hot rod, and a very nice Schecter stilleto five string elite neck thru body super nice bass. I have a Fender Rumble 100, no big deal but suits me fine but it's heavy and stays put next to my bed. I picked up a new Marshall MB30 new release bass practice amp that is really outstanding for 167 out the door, normally 200. This Marshall practice amp is really nice especially when I partner it with my multipedal.

I bought a Zoom B2.1u that is really nice as well. It has a usb connection so you can record straight into your computer to lay down some clips or tracks; something I should do. I did it with my RP350 with my guitars but need to do some for the fret.

The Zoom is really cool and has a huge amount of settings and you can save settings. All of the settings are tweakable and I get a variety of sounds that I really like the smooth, full bass tones I can get combined with the two channel Marshall with voicing. I have used the cool reverbs on it to good effect. I have not used the chorus effect but the pedal is outstanding in my opinion. I wanted to get a Korg toneworks AX5B but I was too late to get the MF blowour and the other places want too much. I'm familiar with the toneworks interface.

I suggest getting a multipedal with a good chorus section, like a digitech bass multipedal, and you will have an awesome array of tweakability and other effects that you will definitely be able to find some to put to work. And these type pedals have noise suppression built in automatically unless you defeat it. This eliminates the situation where your bass sounded better without the pedal because of the pedal induced noise some of the pedals and associated connectors introduce into the signal path. To me this noise reduction is important and a good noise reduction pedal alone is expensive. Hence, for my amateur purposes the multipedal works great, especially a good one.

Just an idea. You might be able to get a good multi pedal for close to the price of a chorus pedal.

My first bass amp was a really nice Peavey TNT 150, over twenty years ago, and I rarely used the chorus that was built in. The chorus on my son's new style SWR sounds great though.

I bought a really nice Boss tremolo pedal for my guitars that I really like. It is like a chorus but sounds more like a rotating speaker than the chorus real thick sound. The tremolo holds the note true and modulates the amplitude of the sound wave without changing the pitch of the note, so you can get the real slow rotating speaker sound if you like that effect.

This has been my amateur experience with chorus on bass; I like tremolo better.

Duffy

Mr Grumpy
January 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I love my Danelectro cool cat chorus (not one of the new 'coolcat' ones its the older big 18v one). I also used to have an Ibanez CS10 which can be had cheap if you get lucky on ebay which was amazing. Dont know how either would fare with a bass mind you

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
The new Cool Cat Chorus is in fact very, very nice. I might get one.