PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever hear about this brand?

wolvie56
January 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I picked up a SX 4 string bass. Looks like a fender. Actually. it looks just like one of Geddy lee's bass's. Anybody know anything about this brand? Thanks.

duhvoodooman
January 25th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Sure, The SX line of guitars & basses in distributed here in the US by Rondo Music. Many excellent values available in this brand.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html

Robert
January 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
That's just the bass I have!

I wrote up a review at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/sx_sjb57_electric_bass/

marnold
January 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Generally speaking they get rave reviews on the TalkBass forums, except among those who can't imagine playing a bass under three grand or that doesn't have the name "Fender" on it. They're nice basses as is and are great for modding.

If you check Rondo's site at the link above I know sometimes they've had replacement necks with black block inlays so you'd REALLY get the Geddy look that way.

Icedgreece
April 20th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yes. I currently have an SX from Rondo, and I love it.

Great sound for a $3000.00 rip.

Rocket
April 20th, 2009, 07:44 PM
SX from Rondo seem to really appeal to the more frugal connoisseur... (spelled c. h. e. a. p.) I suppose they're just worth the initial low investment cost... but that ain't sayin' much.
Sort of, "ya get what'cha pay for deal."

I bought one you can have cheap, (but I sure wouldn't buy another!)

osie2009
September 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Sure, The SX line of guitars & basses in distributed here in the US by Rondo Music. Many excellent values available in this brand.

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb57.html

I have and use the Brice HXB-406 6-String Nat Q. Very nice bass for the money. If you get one or any of the brice lines,replace the preamp and pickups.It makes a world of difference.I use all emgs on mine and the sound and tone is great!

Perfect Stranger
September 24th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've been exceeding pleased with everything I've ever bought from Rondo Music. Super great customer service too. Personally I think you get 10X what you pay for....

Kazz
September 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM
man this tiger eye Lesli is amazing....
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000te.html

pes_laul
September 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hmm maybe this could be my anwser for a decent bass for jazz band (and other things) instead of mooching off my bass playing friends.

Brian Krashpad
September 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'd consider SX/Brice basses, as I already own an Agile guitar (the analog to Brice basses). But I have a MIJ Squier P-bass and a MIM Fender Jazz, so I'm set for those styles.

And with an additional Epi T-bird (picked up for a hundred even), and Peavey USA T-40 and Fury I basses, I'm pretty much set (bar hitting the lottery and buying a Ric).

Kurt at Rondo is a square dealer.

msteeln
September 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
The Brice's are supposedly a step up in all-round quality from the SXs.
I'm now deciding whether to go for the 405 fretless or the 406. I like the looks of the 405 body over the larger 406, and 6 strings may be overkill, but the top on the 406 is probably a better looker and it has the dbl. truss which the current 405s no longer have. This is where on-line shopping sux, I need to have them in my hands so I can run away with them...

Brian Krashpad
September 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
The Brice's are supposedly a step up in all-round quality from the SXs.

Yep, Brice and Agile are Korean-made, SX and Douglas are Chinese.

NWBasser
October 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I used to have an SX fretless jazz.

It was really pretty nice for that price. The stock strings are worthless and they usually need some setup work, but after that they work well enough.

Rondo seems quite nice to work with and supports the products well.

The stock pickups are fairly decent as are the woods used. The hardware likely wouldn't last long if it was used for a lot of gigging.

With a few mods, mostly hardware and pots, they are a workable bass for a beginner or for an extra instrument to have around. For my part, I just wanted to try playing a fretless bass for cheap and it worked fine for that purpose.

If you're a serious bassist and considering getting a main player, then you need to look at something in a higher price range or a used USA Peavey.

Eric
October 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Yep, Brice and Agile are Korean-made, SX and Douglas are Chinese.

That's very useful to know. I've been wondering about that for a while now. Thanks!

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2009, 05:13 AM
That's very useful to know. I've been wondering about that for a while now. Thanks!

No prob. If you ever have any questions about specific models or items at Rondo, e-mail Kurt, who runs the place. He's a good guy. There's a link on the site.