PDA

View Full Version : POD Farm Plug-in $49 - Power Pack for $50

Robert
January 25th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Is the Line 6 POD Farm Plug-in worth getting for $49.00 for my Toneport?

Actually, to answer my own question, this Power Pack seems much more interesting - http://line6.com/store/item/52 for $50.

36 Amp Models and over 50 stompbox and studio effects.

Spudman
January 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I've asked myself the same question. What I justified to myself is: just how many amps or stomp boxes do I need to sound good? Don't I just use one or two amps to gig with? Don't I only use a few stomp boxes on a regular basis? Why would I need to throw down more money when I haven't even fully explored what I have?

Hope that helps you save some $.:)

SuperSwede
January 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Of course its not worth it... you need to save that money in your "Marshall Fund" jar ;)

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2009, 07:53 AM
That is what I was thinking when I saw it. I haven't fully explored the models, etc. in the Gearbox software I own yet.

Robert
January 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
It is a bit tempting to have more tones in the Toneport/GearBox, since that's all I ever use for recording. But then I guess I could try with some of my "real" pedals combined with GearBox to see if that works well.

sunvalleylaw
January 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hmm, if you are looking for more tones for recording, I would never stand in your way. I, myself, don't get to all that I have in the Gearbox software that I already own. If you have a few more that come with that package you want, then $50 is probably worth it. Just have to weigh that against saving for your dream amph, and the hollow/semi-hollow everyone wants you to buy. ;) :D

Robert
January 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, $50.00, one way or another, is not gonna get me anywhere close to my dream amph! :eek:

Jimi75
January 27th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I think the advantage of a plug in is that you can change te amp models etc. once you have recorded. It is a nice feature, if you are not satisfied with the sound and you want to check another amph or effect. It depends on how you usually record. I play my songs and set up a "perfect" sound. sometimes this takes a few tries, but I never felt the need of changing something afterwards, exept of pure playing.

The Toneport UX1 plus Gearbox is absolutely sufficient - to me - at least.

M29
January 27th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I have a Toneport UX1 on the way and was wondering if you guys have any tips to get started? I have Audacity and from what I have heard it works well with that.
The UX1 has a mic input. Do you guys ever record your real amps through this mic input? Is this proper? Should I go through the computer mic input instead when recording my real amp?

Thank you for your time and help.
M

Jimi75
January 27th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I have a Toneport UX1 on the way and was wondering if you guys have any tips to get started? I have Audacity and from what I have heard it works well with that.
The UX1 has a mic input. Do you guys ever record your real amps through this mic input? Is this proper? Should I go through the computer mic input instead when recording my real amp?

Thank you for your time and help.
M

I use the UX1 also for amp recordings. Works perfect. The UX1 is like a high class soundcard, if you use the computer miccro directly you can not use the UX1 - you want that???? NOOOOOOOOO! Have fun with the Toneport, it is really a great device.

SuperSwede
January 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Well, $50.00, one way or another, is not gonna get me anywhere close to my dream amph! :eek:

... många bäckar små ... :beer:

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Look at what the Power Pack gives you:

Amp Models:
Line 6 Clean 1968 Plexi Variac'd
Line 6 Mood 1993 Match D-30
1965 Double Verb 1960 Class A-15
1965 Plexi 45 Line 6 Variax Acoustic
1996 Match Chief Line 6 Class A
1960s Super O 1960 Tiny Tweed
Line 6 Agro 1973 Hiway 100
Line 6 JTS-45 1996 Brit JM Pre
2001 Zen Master 1985 Cali Crunch
1960 Two-Tone Line 6 Lunatic

Effect Models:
Octave Fuzz Stereo Delay
Auto Swell Lux Spring
Jet Flanger Tiled Room
Auto Pan Rich Chamber
Sweep Echo Large Plate
Reverse Red Comp
Small Room Analog Chorus
Large Hall Rotary Drum
Vintage Plate Multi-Head
Blue Comp Ping Pong
Auto Wah King Spring
Bias Trem Dark Hall
Analog Delay Chamber

duhvoodooman
January 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=10000

(Hey, how about that--I started Fret.net thread # 10,000! :D )

M29
January 27th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys.

I have been doing searches and anything Toneport is spread out into four or more threads. I thought about starting a separate thread on the Toneport but thought everyone would say we already covered that so I kind of hijacked Roberts thread :thwap: Sorry.

Maybe we could start a Toneport Tips thread or Everything Toneport thread, something like that. Something that would get picked up in a search.

Those extra amps and effects sound like a good idea in case you cannot tweak an included amp like you want. Kinda gives you more to work with but I don't have it yet and am not sure if it would need it or not. It sounds like some would like the extra amps and effects and some don't really care. I think I would like the extra to mess with to try to get that perfect amp sound that really inspires you.

M

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Just start a new thread if you have Toneport questions. I would probably have fun with more effects. I'd like to mess around with octave fuzz, auto wah, etc.

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I use the UX1 also for amp recordings. Works perfect. The UX1 is like a high class soundcard, if you use the computer miccro directly you can not use the UX1 - you want that???? NOOOOOOOOO! Have fun with the Toneport, it is really a great device. I love my UX2 for that, using my SM57 mic, and playing with my stompboxes. I tend to record more that way, and have not played with the patches in Gearbox for a long time. I will have to give the Gearbox settings a try again.

M29, yeah, let's start a new thread. Something like Toneport/Pod tips and settings, and we can try and collect what is here already, and have a place for adding thoughts, tips, patches, etc. :AOK:

M29
January 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Here is a thread to get started. http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=119260#post119260

I added the Guitarport as well, I think it would be appropriate. This is new territory to me so let me know if I need to change anything in the thread.

Thanks all.
M