PDA

View Full Version : Ice & Snow!

street music
January 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Man it could be a very long week with all the snow and ice that is predicted for us tonight and tomorrow. I really don't care for this type of winter weather, it seems to get worse every year, BONES MOUST BE GETTING OLD.

Blaze
January 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM
How was winter in your country side let say 10 years ago ?

Ch0jin
January 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I'd feel for ya man, but it was like (runs to check conversion rate) 104 degrees in American money here on Saturday (40c) and me without AC in my flat..

Wanna trade a few degree's? I reckon we could help each other out here.

On another note, the sweet irony is my 6L V8 fuel guzzling, ozone erasing car having bone chillingly effective AC..

street music
January 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
The winters appear to getting worse at this point, still not like it was in my growing up days. We have better than an inch of ice on the ground this, it is still sleeting with more snow or rain today, tonight and tomorrow. Yes, it could get worse but I would settle for 65 degrees and then warm up to 80 in the summer.

Bloozcat
January 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I was watching a bit of the Australian Open tennis tournament last night and the commentators were showing the thermometer at courtside - 104 degrees F. It did appear that the humidity was under 30% though, which reminds me of that saying: "And the devil said yes, but it's a dry heat..."

I'm not the least bit surprised that the winter here in the States (and the whole northern hemisphere for that matter) is colder this year. If one has been following the information that the responsible climate scientists have been posting for the last several years, it is clear that the earth is returning to a cycle of colder weather. These same scientists predicted that the winter of 2008/2009 would mark the first year of the cool down (although the winter of 2007/2008 was a bit of a wake-up call as well). Even The Old Farmer's Almanac, which has always been a surprisingly accurate gauge of weather, predicted that this winter would be a cold one. The afore mentioned scientists are saying at this point that although the data indicates a cycle of colder weather, it's not conclusive enough at this point to determine if that means winters like in the 1940's and 1950's, or a Little Ice Age such as in the mid 15th through early 19th centuries.

Childbride
January 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Street,

we're actually bracing for one of those ice storms that Strummy always jokes about tonight.

i'm supposed to be in court in one of my rural counties tomorrow and court's been canceled there, but i still have to brave the yahoos to get to court downtown...

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Bring on the snow! It has been unseasonably warm up here for a few weeks, but we are finally back to some snow and colder weather, as it should be. I do live in the mountains in the middle of Idaho, and I did not move here for the sunny beaches. ;)

BTW, Blooz, I hope you are right.

Childbride
January 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
i know this will sound ridiculous to those of you up north who are buried in the stuff, but when winter comes here, there's the little kid in me who keeps running to the window to see if it's going to actually snow.

it's doing something right now, just getting started. :)

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just starting to snow, albeit ever so lightly, up here in Philly. Supposed to snow overnite and then turn to ICE and hopefully rain. However, they are calling for a late change to rain and if the snow changes to a prolonged period of ICE, then we are up S--T's creek for sure. Nothing worse than I-95 turning into a skating rink.

tunghaichuan
January 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ah, I have fond memories of the ice storms in Kansas. :eek:

I don't know which I hated worse: the ice storms or the 110 degree weather in the summer. :rotflmao:

tung

Childbride
January 27th, 2009, 09:07 PM
woo hoo! :rotflmao:

shiner's smoker and griller are freezing over as we speak.

ice, ice, baby... :D

Squireman131
January 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Already no school tomorrow, its gonna be nice. get to actually practice a couple hours, might drum a bit too

bigoldron
January 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Sunny and upper 70's here. Supposed to rain tomorrow afternoon and night, then cool back down. Upper 20's Saturday morning.

player
January 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM
And to think I gave up S. Florida for this:thwap: .down by Frank in WPB.if ever the chance arises I am outta here

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM
i know this will sound ridiculous to those of you up north who are buried in the stuff, but when winter comes here, there's the little kid in me who keeps running to the window to see if it's going to actually snow.

it's doing something right now, just getting started. :)

Doesn't sound ridiculous at all. Falling snow is magical to me, every time.

Now, I don't like getting caught out in sideways snow blown by high winds when I am unprepared, but you get the idea. It still can be magical if I am prepared.

piebaldpython
January 28th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Just woke up and .......a whole lot of ICE out there........accidents all over.....Philly public and parochial ( that means CATHOLIC around here) schools are closed.....lucky me, I take public transportation to work.

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Ice? Snow?

I am not familiar with these terms...

:confused:

bigoldron
January 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Ice? Snow?

Sure you are. Haven't you had one of those "Hawaiian Ice" drinks before? :rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
January 28th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Sure you are. Haven't you had one of those "Hawaiian Ice" drinks before? :rotflmao:

Ah, it's food.

OK. :pancake:

bigoldron
January 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Ah, it's food.

OK. :pancake:

Near as I can tell it is. Not too familiar with that other stuff they keep talking about. :D

ET335
January 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Ice? Snow?

This may help you Brian...woke up to this mess this morning:D

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00569.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00570.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00571.jpg

Childbride
January 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
well, we didn't get it nearly as bad as they did to the west and just north of us, but most of the town was shut down until 10 am.

i ran outside shortly before 8 am to get to court downtown and my vehicle was a complete and total ice cube. i couldn't get into it. shiner had to come to the rescue. nearly busted my rear end several times in the de-icing/scraping process... that's a video someone missed out on... :rotflmao:

but the roads were pretty good and clear since no one was driving yet.

the icicles were beautiful this morning. i wish i'd had a camera and the time to take pics.

i just hate that it caused so much hurt and destruction north/west of us and in other states.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
the icicles were beautiful this morning.
Be careful.
As children, my sister and I were knocking them from the roof overhang and I watched one break off and impale my sister's thigh... not so pretty!
I instantly acquired a massive respect for icicles and forever feared my own children would make the same mistake.

ZMAN
January 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hey CB I can send you down a couple of truckloads that I blew out of my driveway today.
Thank God for Snowblowers. It snowed for about 10 hours today.
I am looking forward to that South Florida weather next week.

Childbride
January 28th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Be careful.
As children, my sister and I were knocking them from the roof overhang and I watched one break off and impale my sister's thigh... not so pretty!
I instantly acquired a massive respect for icicles and forever feared my own children would make the same mistake.

when we were younger, my siblings and i would break them off and eat them.

as an adult, i think of carcinogens that come from stuff in the air/off the substances they drape from, and this of course is much less appetizing.

i don't go near them. i just look at the beauty, the artistry.

things speak to people. a baby's heartbeat. the stars with no light pollution. a really trick lick on the guitar. the morning's sunlight beaming like a prism through jack frost's work this morning.

Rocket
January 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
...i just look at the beauty
...the artistry.
...a baby's heartbeat.
...the stars with no light pollution.
...the morning's sunlight beaming like a prism through jack frost's work this morning.
Ack... do you freelance for Hallmark?

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM

Mess? That looks beautiful!! ;)

Algonquin
January 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Mess? That looks beautiful!! ;)
+1

Although it looks like a downed tree in the background due to ice... which is never good.

street music
January 29th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I just got a few minutes before heading back out- we are in emergency mode here , I have been working 16 hours on and 8 off . It is pitiful to see how bad it is , poles broke, wire down, homes destroyed by trees.
I will have extra help coming from UTAH sometime today, you take care and fretters are safe, gotta go.

sunvalleylaw
January 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I want to be clear. I think snow in general is beautiful, but I feel badly for any weather hardship people are experiencing.

Brian Krashpad
January 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00569.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00570.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/eddiet2/DSC00571.jpg

That's beautiful!

But why are the trees bare, and how did that lovely whte sand get up on the rooftops and cars?

bigoldron
January 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
That's beautiful!

But why are the trees bare, and how did that lovely whte sand get up on the rooftops and cars?

What he said... :messedup: :rolleyes:

marnold
January 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I actually like snow quite a bit (despite our record amount this December). Ice is a different matter. Ice storms are particularly nasty up here because if we get one, the ice will stay for months. Down there it will at least warm up enough to get rid of it.

Did I ever tell you about when I lived in Minnesota? It was pouring rain right after supper--so much that the parking lots were flooding. Then an Alberta clipper came through and the temperature plummeted. The lows that week were around -35F. My car froze to the parking lot and was encased in over 1/4" of ice. I just kept hitting around the outline of my door with my elbow until I was able to get in. I started the car and let it warm up. Since the ice melted close to the car, I could push it off in these huge sheets. I carefully rocked my car back and forth just using the transmission until my tires were freed.

ZMAN
January 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
A little tip from a Northerner. Always get a car with a remote starter. After a rain/ice storm start the car and let it warm up with the blowers and heaters on. When you go out to scrape, the ice will fall off. To get into the car a jug of lukewarm water poured around the door frame and latch will work as well.

bigoldron
January 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Did I ever tell you about when I lived in Minnesota? It was pouring rain right after supper--so much that the parking lots were flooding. Then an Alberta clipper came through and the temperature plummeted. The lows that week were around -35F. My car froze to the parking lot and was encased in over 1/4" of ice. I just kept hitting around the outline of my door with my elbow until I was able to get in. I started the car and let it warm up. Since the ice melted close to the car, I could push it off in these huge sheets. I carefully rocked my car back and forth just using the transmission until my tires were freed.

Way too cold for me! :eek:

peachhead
January 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I like snow but we never get it. Although the beauty of it wears off when the limbs start snapping and the power goes out.
Good luck to all those who are dealing with snow and ice at the moment.

marnold
January 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well, in the almost 41 years I've lived in the midwest I can only remember losing power one time due to winter weather. On the other hand, I remember losing it multiple times due to summer weather (lightning, tornadoes, straight-line winds). We don't even get any of those big ol' storms that you southerners name. Or at least by time they get here, we call them "drizzle."

Childbride
January 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Rocket... would be a nice gig. could help finance my GAS. Shiner could help. [o, no, that could be potentially dangerous]

Marnold... i agree completely. drizzle. pathetic, really, compared to what y'all go through.

we just have the tornado alley thing and the 115 degree summers to deal with. :)

and i deeply am sorry for those with power outages, wrecks, and destruction from the storms. i was only trying to speak of my inner child jumping up and down hoping for the rare 'snow day' down our way.

street music
January 29th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Fretters, Just got back home and from another 16 hours of getting power on. I HATE ICE STORMS- UNDERSTAND ! Snow can be pretty but deadly to power lines and those who work on putting the lines back up. I'm tired right now and need to get to sleep. Hope everyone enjoys power why you have it because we are suppose to get hit again Monday & Tuesday, we will be weeks getting power back on.

just strum
January 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Wow, looks like a lot of fretters got walloped. We got hit pretty hard and I just finished plowing the driveway about an hour ago. I came home from work at lunch during the storm to switch cars and found my son stuck in the driveway. After getting him out, I had to plow to get the other car out. I got back to work around 2:30 and then when I got home I plowed one section of the drive (we have two entrances). We missed January record snowfall by about an inch as a result of the storm. I would guess we received about 18" (45.72 centimeters). It was a real heavy snow, so it made plowing tough to deal with.

There's another storm coming up the east coast that may or may not hit us. Tomorrow is suppose to be 40 degrees (that's right, thong time), so I will try to move snow around so it will melt faster. I've run out of places to plow the snow and resorted to putting it out on the street.

street music
February 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I only worked 12 straight hours today, we still have 75-100 poles broke and about 1200 without power. They are getting a dozer in tomorrow to help my crew get the poles back on the hill side. Hope everyone is warm and safe, we are suppose to get more snow Monday and Tuesday.

mcgreggor57
February 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
How's the progress? We were blessed and never lost power in our neighborhood, but we sure felt the impact. 90% of my co-workers were without for 4+ days. I believe they are all back on the grid now, although some still can't move back due to broken pipes and trees on their homes.

My hats off to anyone and everyone involved in restoring power. Many thanks!

Ch0jin
February 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Tomorrow is suppose to be 40 degrees (that's right, thong time),

Umm I thought in your part of the word "thong" was underwear?

In other news it's finally dropped under 100 around my place thankfully. I can actually spend 10 minutes playing without covering my guitar in sweat. It was so bad I went around the house turning off anything that generated heat (and I'm looking at you plasma, HTPC and tube amps...)

Props to you and your crew though SM. We have the same issues further up the coast as a result of massive winds following the heatwave. Seems those poles don't like hot or cold huh :)

piebaldpython
February 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Damn, we just got hit with 6" overnite and the Philly schools are closed today. Oh well, time to shovel the sidewalk and trudge off to work (I take public transit; the bus and the EL) in Center City Philly.

street music
February 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
It is 8 degrees this morning, 4 more inches of fresh snow, we still have near 80 poles broke but have less than 600 customers without power now. It's tough to get anywhere right now.
I haven't picked up a guitar in over a week, still working 16 hr on and 8 off.
I have a crew of 5 men from Ashboro, NC and a 4 man crew from Cumberland Valley RECC in southern KY, great guys working their tails off to get power back on, blizzard conditions forced us to quit last night.
Hope to get back to normal by March.

Later Nathan

Tynee
February 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Through it all, I we ever lost power. The furnace chose a really poor time to quit last week, and I missed a day of work getting it sorted out as well as working on vehicles, but never lost power.

Now I remember why I left South Dakota.

just strum
February 4th, 2009, 08:41 PM
The odd snowfall around here.

At my house and the trip to work, less than an inch of snow. However, just west of here (probably 6 or 7 miles) 10+ inches of snow and even more 20 miles north of my house.

Brian Krashpad
February 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I want to be clear. I think snow in general is beautiful, but I feel badly for any weather hardship people are experiencing.

+1. I hope no one took my joshing the wrong way.

It got down to about 20 F here last night, but snow is rare.

Mojo to those dealing with power outages and being house-bound and such.

street music
February 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I HAVE SURVIVED, finally came home long enough to sit till I go to the doctor for x-rays. As i was trying to remove a pine tree from the power lines it broke loose and came down on top of my right hand, that was two days ago, it hurts like heck and I have kept ice packs on it to help ease the pain. We got almost all of our consumers back on last night, so I'm taking a few hours to go get my hand checked out. It was great to have the last one that restored power to last night, a retired widow school teacher, she just cried from joy after having been without her electric for 13 days. It's been hard and tough but I hope for things to improve over the next few weeks. Missed chatting with THE FRETTERS.

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry about the hand but glad you are ok! I don't want any ice storms, but would love a good foot and a half or so dump up here in our mountains!

just strum
February 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I HAVE SURVIVED, finally came home long enough to sit till I go to the doctor for x-rays. As i was trying to remove a pine tree from the power lines it broke loose and came down on top of my right hand, that was two days ago, it hurts like heck and I have kept ice packs on it to help ease the pain. We got almost all of our consumers back on last night, so I'm taking a few hours to go get my hand checked out. It was great to have the last one that restored power to last night, a retired widow school teacher, she just cried from joy after having been without her electric for 13 days. It's been hard and tough but I hope for things to improve over the next few weeks. Missed chatting with THE FRETTERS.

My dad was a lineman - it beats electrocution.

Hope you heal fast and you are back in the swing of things real soon.

Brian Krashpad
February 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Continued prayers and mojo. Hand, get well soon!

street music
February 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I got my x-rays of the hand, it appears to have chipped a piece of knuckle but there is still a lot of inflamantion around the joints. I'm able to use it and they are going to get a second opinion on the chip in question.
My back is the worse part of the accident , it will take sometime to get it straightened up. So I'm going to be right back on the job tomorrow, we have 60 MPH winds forecast for tonight.

helliott
February 10th, 2009, 05:43 PM
We should all raise a glass and salute the folks who do this sort of work to keep the rest of us relatively safe and warm. God bless 'em and keep 'em.

just strum
February 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM
We should all raise a glass and salute the folks who do this sort of work to keep the rest of us relatively safe and warm. God bless 'em and keep 'em.

+1

I remember by dad going to other States as they called in crews to assist in getting power back up. The job is dangerous on a good day, add to that wind and/or snow - tough job!!!

street music
February 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the fine remarks, our co-op has built power lines in areas that others would not attempt. As a co-op we are non-profit and are owned by the consumers, so our responsibility is to provide for them. I choose this as my profession and like Strum's Dad it is just part of the regular life we work at.
I hope you remember the workers in your area the next time you see them out risking their life to keep power on.:bravo:

Brian Krashpad
February 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM

+1 and good onya to all of 'em. Take care Street Music!

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
+1 :aok:

just strum
February 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
It's about 60 degrees here and rain is pounding the side of the house. It's the same front that caused all the tornadoes a couple of days ago, but has weakened. We are still expecting 40 mph sustained winds and gusts up to 60 mph tonight and reports of power lines down are already being reported.

Tomorrow the high is 35 and snow.

Correction: it's 52 degrees right now.

street music
February 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I"M HOME AT LAST. WE got 70 + MPH straight line winds from that horrible storm and it took much of what we had gotten back up from the ice storm. Now I wonder just what the spring tornado season will bring us. Didn't get tospend anytime with the wife yesterday. So today is just us two out and about. Catch you all later. Thanks for all the great thoughts and wishes.

just strum
February 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM
This morning I left the house to find about 2" of snow (dusting). I thought nothing of it and took off for work. The first 10 minutes of the drive I passed five accidents. Three were just cars off the road, but two involved multiple vehicles. On the local freeways there were accidents everywhere, one involving 27 vehicles, including three tractor-trailers.

After heavier snowfalls in recent weeks, I think people underestimated the 2" of snow. I've always said it's this type of snow that becomes dangerous.