PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this pickup?

Fardeen
January 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hi, I recently bought an used Ibanez S470 in which the stock neck pickup had been replaced. The guy I got it off couldn't remember the brand of the pup. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this. Here's a picture (it's the humbucker):-

http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/19747

lol... I know its hard to identify a pickup on looks alone as all pickups look pretty much the same, so I'll post some of its characteristics as well. For starters, it has a much higher output than the bridge Ibanez AH2 pup. On clean, if I turn up the bass, it has a sort of slight natural overdrive. On distortion, it sounds really heavy and crisp. And the noise level on distortion is minimal. And its quite bassy on both settings. As far as it being active or passive goes, I have no idea on the issue, so would someone care to enlighten me? Hopefully, all this info will be enough for you guys to have a crack at identifying it.

Btw, my guitar instructor thinks its a DiMarzio but I can't be sure since its logo has rubbed off.

wingsdad
January 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
If you pull the pickup you may find identification info on its underside.

Fardeen
January 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hmm... I'm not much of an expert with electronics and I don't really trust the local guitar techs, so wouldn't it be possible to make a guess using the info I've provided?

marnold
January 27th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hmm... I'm not much of an expert with electronics and I don't really trust the local guitar techs, so wouldn't it be possible to make a guess using the info I've provided?
Not with any kind of accuracy. We'd just be making wild guesses. What wingsdad said is right. If you can take it out and look at the back there's a very good chance it could be ID'd.

Spudman
January 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM
That's a passive pickup and it almost looks like an Ibanez Powersound. That model doesn't use adjustable pole pieces as well as a whole bunch of other very inexpensive pickups from other manufacturers.

Best bet - pull it out and look at the back. Just remove the 4 mounting ring screws and the whole assembly will release.

TS808
January 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
That's a passive pickup and it almost looks like an Ibanez Powersound. That model doesn't use adjustable pole pieces as well as a whole bunch of other very inexpensive pickups from other manufacturers.

Best bet - pull it out and look at the back. Just remove the 4 mounting ring screws and the whole assembly will release.

My thoughts too...Ibanez used Powersound pickups on alot of their guitars, but as everyone said, it's really impossible to tell by looks alone.

dz_alias
June 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM
My thoughts too...Ibanez used Powersound pickups on alot of their guitars, but as everyone said, it's really impossible to tell by looks alone.
I think it's a generic M214K pickup. I have one that looks the exact same. It came stock on a guitar I bought off eBay. I took it out and the sticker on the back said "M214." A quick google search led me to Kent Armstrong pickups. It's just a generic pickup (as generic as generic gets.) However it sounds pretty alright.

Here's an example of them:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blhotpafhubl.html

EDIT: Wooo, my first post.

Brian Krashpad
June 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I think it's a generic M214K pickup. I have one that looks the exact same. It came stock on a guitar I bought off eBay. I took it out and the sticker on the back said "M214." A quick google search led me to Kent Armstrong pickups. It's just a generic pickup (as generic as generic gets.) However it sounds pretty alright.

Here's an example of them:
http://store.guitarfetish.com/blhotpafhubl.html

EDIT: Wooo, my first post.

DZ, check in over at The Fret Players forum, that way everyone can meet you.

Same goes for any other new folks that haven't!

Welcome.