PDA

View Full Version : Toneport/Guitarport/Pod tips and settings

M29
January 27th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Here is a thread were we can share settings, thoughts, tips, patches, etc on the Line6 Toneport, Guitarport and Pod products.
I am waiting for the brown truck to arrive with my UX1 and I look forward to hearing anything on this subject.
M

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Take your time with Gearbox and try all amp and stompbox models. There's a fair bit of sounds in here, and it's fun to explore. I don't see why I would ever need to mic my amp anymore, unless I want to capture my amps for a specific reason. This modeling solutions works for me 99% of the time, and I mostly just record backing tracks and lesson stuff anyway. If I were to record my own album, maybe then I would mic my amp. Or maybe not!

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cool! I will upload the patch I use mostly (A bluesy overdrive based on the Bassman patch)when I have time in the next few days. I have not taken Robert's advice, and tend to stick with one setting. Time to add more.

EDIT: Here is the setting I use for recording my amph through my Shure SM57. It is a stock patch, but maybe someone might need it.I like to record my amph with my pedals as I do not have all the sound design/playing experience of Robert, Spud and a bunch of others, so I like to hear what my actual live gear sounds like, and play with tweaking it to get to know it.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/MicSettings.jpg

M29
January 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Awesome guys!

Does anyone know if the models in the Toneport are the same as the Pocket Pod? I like the PP sounds but I am hoping for something different and more refined. There seems to be a slight edge to the cleans that kind of bugs me. Are the cleans reeeal clean in the Toneport?

M

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
They sound clean to me. As compared to my Korg Toneworks AX1G, they are much cleaner to my ears.

M29
January 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sounds good I can't wait! :rockon:

M

M29
January 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
This looks like an interesting link.

http://www.vettaville.nl/page.php?id=102#692

M

Robert
January 27th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I think M29 is hooked on this stuff now! :dude: :D

M29
January 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Tomorrow Baby! Tomorrow the up's truck arrives.:AOK:

M29
January 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hello,

I tried out the Toneport today and I have to keep my volume on the guitar down to around 5 to keep it from distorting, do I have a setting wrong or something?

TIA.
M

Robert
January 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Check that the input volume isn't too high. You can set this in Gearbox.

M29
January 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Well I think I got a bad UX1. I cannot get rid of this crackling sound. It has the amp sound but there is a crackling sound like a bad connection that goes with it. I tried setting all the volumes different but it has the same crackling sound. I tried different cords and guitars. I tried moving the cord ends around and in and out but I don't get any change in sound. I have a feeling it is internal. The USB cord don't fit very snug in the unit, it is kind of sloppy but I get a green light and my meters work in Gearbox.

Man I wanted to jam on this thing tonight. I wonder if a driver could cause this?

M

Algonquin
January 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I wonder if a driver could cause this?
Sure... blame it on the poor UPS guy! :D

Sorry it's not working out tonight M... that has to be frustrating. I do get some buzz due to being close to the monitor, but backing away a few feet usually helps, but your problem sounds internal to the connections.

Best of luck with a speedy resolution.

David

sunvalleylaw
January 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I was going to suggest you check the output volume and adjust the signal there, but that crackling sounds more like a connection issue. (like I really know anything). I have not had that problem. What are you recording into, if you are? I make sure the input into garageband is below the red marks too to make sure my signal is not too hot when recording. But that does not account for the crackling. You could use the Line6 Monkey software to make sure all your drivers are up to date to double check I guess. Bummer. They are very cool when running right.

Ch0jin
January 28th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Count me in on the PP discussions.
Although my software interface is totally different to the screen shot posted here earlier.

One thing though in relation to Roberts post about not using an amp though.

I was the same until I bought my BB1200 (hollow body). These things -really- interact with the speakers. It hands down sounds better played into a tube amp with me sitting directly in front of my quad. I'm assuming most hollow body guitars would be the same?

(also it's got hand made P90 sized single coils that are not hum canceling in any position so my high gain humbucker POD patches tend to get noisy!!)

M29
January 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys. It's the ups driver yup that is who it is:D

I am just trying to play through this with the headphones. I haven't got a chance to try recording with it yet. It is weird, I can get the guitar sound but it breaks up and has the crackling. It sounds like a bad connection and I cannot make it act up with the cords or hitting the box. I think it is something internal or maybe the driver. I downloaded the latest Gearbox version and the latest drivers but nothing fixes it.
I am going to uninstall everything and start over.:thwap:

M

M29
January 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I put the USB cable in the back of the computer and it seems to have fixed my problem, I had it down front with the two in the rear used up. I am happy now:rockon: Now I need to learn how to play:thwap:

M

Ch0jin
January 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Ahh the old dodgy front USB port trick hey...

M29
January 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I did not know there was a problem with front usb ports...I know now!:D

I love this Toneport. I have been messin with it and have started to tweek some settings. Most of the distorted/crunch sounds are a bit too fizzy although I have not checked them all out yet. I found one that I am messin with and I think I will be able to get a decent one.

I would like to get an acoustic guitar sound. I heard a guy on you tube that did but I don't know how he did it. I think I found a nice clean. The sounds are better than the Pocket Pod sounds in my opinion and that makes me very happy although I do like the PP sounds.

Robert would you like to share your settings for your sound you got on this http://www.box.net/shared/1y31k66i16
I see you said you used the Marshall Super Lead with the distortion stompbox added. I don't see a Super Lead listed in my Gearbox, did you get an add on to get this? I am not that familiar with the Marshall amps other then the 18 watt. I have a Plexi Lead 100 a Plexi Jump Lead and a Brit J-800 listed and they don't sound like yours. I really like the sound you get with that although I know your new guitar really makes it but if I can get a little bit close to that tone I would be happy!

M

Robert
January 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
M29, I just have the regular stuff in there. So it must have been the Plexi Lead I meant. I used the non-jumpered one, and I added a distortion box to it. I maxed gain and volume on the Plexi Lead. A lot of the sound has to do with the pickups in my Michael Kelly. I can't get that sound with my strat or tele. I also recorded the rhythm guitar twice, and panned each guitar right/left for a fatter sound. Makes it sound modern.

M29
January 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Oh I see. I thought your new guitar really made it. I see now how you fattened it up and that sounds great! Again Awesome playing!!!

Thanks Robert!
M

M29
January 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know how to get Gearbox and Audacity to both come through the headphones? I get the guitar in Gearbox on headphones and Audacity in the computer speakers. It is kind of weird not hearing them together when you are playing. Then they are both together in the final mix of Audacity though and not the headphones.

TIA.
M

hagarfreak33
January 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Are any of you guy using riffworks with your Gearbox app?We could set up a Rifflink.

Ch0jin
February 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
I did not know there was a problem with front usb ports...I know now!:D

I should qualify that. There isn't actually a problem with front USB ports per se, it's just that I've seen loads and loads of PC's with issues around the front USB ports. Usually the problem is power, as in not enough of it to run the device, or excessive noise corrupting the digital signal.

I have two desktops at home, both home made, and one's ports work ace, the other are so intermittent I eventually just disconnected them and use a powered USB hub (plugged into the back)

So, whenever I hear of ANY problem with a device plugged into the front port, the first thing to try is to plug it into the back.

Hope that clears it up a bit :)

ragnarpk
March 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Does anyone know how to get Gearbox and Audacity to both come through the headphones? I get the guitar in Gearbox on headphones and Audacity in the computer speakers. It is kind of weird not hearing them together when you are playing. Then they are both together in the final mix of Audacity though and not the headphones.

TIA.
M

go to preferences and set playback device to toneport

M29
March 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks ragnarpk that did it:AOK:

M

Suhnton
July 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Hello good people,

Just a quickie re: Line6 gear.
I just bought a used Toneport UX2 which comes bundled with GearBox. (It hasn't been delivered yet). 
I notice the newer UX2's come with POD FARM.
Is there any discernable difference between the two software products?
Or am I able to download a copy of POD FARM from Line6 and use it (I assume the hardware is the dongle)?
Cheers.

EDIT: No worries, I found the answer on the Line6 site.