PDA

View Full Version : different slides

Steve206
January 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
hey folks,, here are a few samples of different slide materials used on the same guitar. Not well, by any means, but a place to listen to, all the same. If I could have had, more control over the process, it would be easier to listen to. Things being what they are, I still think that it is an okay idea...

Everytime I play any tune/phrase, I play it differently. Mostly because, I do not know the way to play it in the first place.

Anyway, Hope this helps out a person looking to buy a slide?????

Steve

http://www.box.net/shared/hke7mcvmd8

evenkeel
January 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks a bunch Steve. Neat stuff and terrific playing. The slides all sound good. I definately hear the more sharp metallic tone of the metal slide. The glass slide is a bit more mellow. But I think I like the ceramic one the best. Kind of the best of both worlds.

:bravo: :beer:

mrmudcat
January 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Great post ..........sounding good brother!:bravo:

piebaldpython
January 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Nice playing Steve. :dude: That Johnson Tri-cone sounded damn good. The brass didn't sound as harsh as I would have expected. Maybe I'm remebering what a METAL slide sounded like. GLASS rules. The Moonshine slide sounded pretty decent too.
Oh, COLORED glass for acoustics, CLEAR glass for electric.

sunvalleylaw
January 27th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Wow, I am liking those sounds. I almost bought a glass slide made from a bottle at a concert a summer or so ago. I still don't have one yet. I think I could see having one of each for different sounds. Not too expensive. I really liked the metal one. Probably the ceramic one next. Thanks for doing that.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed the sound of your "wide open ignorant real deal". :AOK: :AOK:

piebaldpython
January 28th, 2009, 12:02 AM
SVL......it's not a bad idea to have different slides, just to experiment with....some will sound better than others depending on the guitar you are using........let's see, I have a brass slide, a Moonshine, a Mudslide, two glass slides, a dobro steel and a Tribo-Tone "M" style bar for lap steel. Of course, when all else fails, just take the Craftsman spark-plug socket wrench and use that ala Lowell George and Rory Block. :D Plus, some of my slides have wider inside diameters than others because there was a time when I vacillated between using my pinky and middle finger for slide work. Finally, I went with using my middle finger.
There's lots of sites where you can get custom made slides of any length, width, material, etc

Steve206
January 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Glad you all liked it,,,,,

For me, I think that the porcelin sounds best in the electric arena. But then again, why do I have the three that I mentioned and two others in the guitar closet?

Those are the ones that I chock up to education, that did not apply to what I am doing. I mean, I have one of those bare metal things that fits between your fingers. Show me one person, who knows anything about this????

Keeping in mind how the term, bottle neck, came to be used as something to do with a guitar.

Steve

tjcurtin1
January 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Steve - nice playing and a great sound from that guitar......

markb
January 28th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Glad you all liked it,,,,,

For me, I think that the porcelin sounds best in the electric arena. But then again, why do I have the three that I mentioned and two others in the guitar closet?

Those are the ones that I chock up to education, that did not apply to what I am doing. I mean, I have one of those bare metal things that fits between your fingers. Show me one person, who knows anything about this????

Keeping in mind how the term, bottle neck, came to be used as something to do with a guitar.

Steve

One of these (http://www.poolsidestudios.co.nz/product.php?id=SP-1Steel&PHPSESSID=3b274806ccaecdeede0ce33d3c4f02ce)? Lap steel players only need apply ;)

FWIW I use a brass slide for everything except lap where it's a bit short and lightweight.

Jipes
January 29th, 2009, 05:00 AM
hey folks,, here are a few samples of different slide materials used on the same guitar. Not well, by any means, but a place to listen to, all the same. If I could have had, more control over the process, it would be easier to listen to. Things being what they are, I still think that it is an okay idea...

Everytime I play any tune/phrase, I play it differently. Mostly because, I do not know the way to play it in the first place.

Anyway, Hope this helps out a person looking to buy a slide?????

Steve

http://www.box.net/shared/hke7mcvmd8

Nice from you Steve, that sound very interesting too me your brass sounds better more heavy tone ! The glass seems too light and the ceramics has less overtones apparently is it a Moonshine ceramic ?

piebaldpython
January 29th, 2009, 09:45 PM
This link talks about how clear slides are best for electric (because they are softer) and how the darker the slide, the more sustain for acoustic.

http://www.mrbsguitarslides.com/standard_slides.html

sunvalleylaw
January 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
This is the gentleman (Tony Furtado) I almost bought a handmade bottle neck slide from. He played a local show and I was really impressed. There was a nice selection of different sized and shaped ones. When he comes back around, I will grab one, just to have a glass one in the herd.

PEyCJbdR8vo&feature=related

Jipes
January 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Great video I can hear some inflexions of Kelly Joe phelps in his playing ! Wonderful musician thanks for the discovery :AOK:

piebaldpython
January 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Tony was primarily a prolific bluegrass banjo player when he started. He put out a CD, Roll My Blues Away in1997 and that changed things. He branched out......for this CD, he played (and I write this looking at the CD booklet);...slide banjo, slide guitars, National reso banjo, Dobro Banjo,steel bodied guitar, banjo and steel stringed guitar.